Ruger Single Seven 327 Federal Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
Most of the newer 32s and 327s will load much easier with just a free spin pawl.

1. The easiest free spin pawl is modifying your original pawl: grind off the corner of the top right hand side of the pawl's top tooth until it forms a point on the left side. That's it!

2. The Wrangler or any new model flattop Blackhawk and New Vaquero pawl will work but you have to cut a divot in the top surface of the trigger guard part of the grip frame which is much more difficult to get right.
Thanks Hondo !! 🙂👍

contender

Ruger Guru
"I hear what you are saying, but don't you think we should get a product from any company for that matter that has been built properly to specs and tested to make sure it's right before it leaves the factory.....that's quality control."

Yes,, we should get products from any company that have been built properly.

That said,, having witnessed Ruger's production line first hand,, AND having a long relationship with Ruger products,, (when Bill ran things, and all that followed after his passing,) I can see both sides of how the company is currently run.

When Bill ran things,, yes,, more hands on QC was applied. But that also takes TIME,, and that translates into "Costs money."

But many people forget the fact that quite often,, back then,, Ruger would introduce a new gun,, only for us common folks to not see any for 1-2 years if we were lucky. SLOW production. And combined with fewer numbers produced.

After bill passed,, and Bill Jr ran things for a while,, Ruger stock went into a decline. A big decline. I can recall stock prices under $5 a share. Not a good sign for any company to continue being successful. And for a few years,, Ruger (the company) struggled to fix things. Finally,, the last of any Ruger family broke away from the company. Re-organization happened,, lean manufacturing was adopted,, and demands for higher production numbers as well as getting products into the public's hands a lot quicker.
With that business model,, things have changed. And yes,, you do get a percentage of guns that "aren't quite right" or need returned & corrected. But as things got smoothed out,, we say Ruger break records for production numbers,, with over 1 million guns built in a year. (Actually about 1/25 million.) They followed that year by building over 2 million guns in a year.

And having been to one of the plants,, I can attest to the fact that now,, as a gun is assembled,, it's checked at each assembly station. If it passes,, it moves down the line. The last stop,, is test firing,, inside a special machine. If it fires (2) rounds successfully, it get pulled out of the machine,,then boxed for shipping.

So,, do we get an occasional bad one,, or one that needs special attention? Yes. But no,, and I mean no company that has a mass production product,, will turn out 100% perfect products all the time. But the actual percentage of returns is actually low when you look at the total production numbers. But when you produce 5, 10 or more times the product as before,, and in a faster timeframe,,, you will get more "bad" ones. But you still have to understand the percentages. Build 1 million guns,, and if .5 percent need fixing,, that's 5000 guns. But in general,,, the actual return rate is actually around 1%-2%. So 10,000-20,000 out of 1 million get returned. When you see the percentage thing? But if you are one of the people who got one that needed correcting,, you crow loudly. Most often,, most of us have no problems,, so we don't praise stuff as loudly as those who experience issues. Besides,, human nature causes more response to negative stuff than positive stuff.

Luckily,, Ruger does work hard at fixing customers issues in a good & timely fashion,, at little or no expense.

Star43

Blackhawk
Contender,. That was beyond a good post. That was a great post. I never had the honor of meeting Mr. Ruger. I always had a strange feeling that I kind of knew him though. I still have all the old Ruger Catalogs, and I can still see him standing or sitting there smiling. But the smile he wore, to me was one of pride and honesty. I grew up in Mass. and own No S/W products at all from Springfield. I have always been a Ruger guy & will stay one. It makes perfect sense how you explained it by the sheer numbers of what they produce, and with those numbers, yeah, there will be some bad ones. I hear what you say also about when they had some down time in the financial world. I invested in them, not a whole lot, but enough, and yeah, lost some money there. But to me, it wasn't Ruger's fault. It was that the "times" were not the best at that point. But, heck, it was bad for all gun companies!!! How many changed hands again and again or just plain went out of business ..Not Ruger....They are still here and they ate "the gun company" to me and I think a lot of if not most of the members of our forum feel the same way. Yeah I was venting a little saying how they should all be good leaving the factory !!! And if Mr. Bill were there, these things wouldn't happen !!! But times have changed and we should appreciate what we have....we still have our Ruger guns !!! Thanks for writing. I appreciate it...😊😊👍👍

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,,, I too invested in Ruger,, beyond guns. I own stock. I just wish I'd bought more when it was so low. It's a bit above $45 a share now. And of course,, I wish it was up around the $55-$60 mark it was several months ago.

I appreciate your thoughts & understanding. Times definitely have changed & we truly are lucky that Ruger survived it's down-turn. And it's currently debt free, and very fluid in it's financial stability. That spells "Strong Company" for any business.

And as I've often shared; "Remember,, while some may complain,, we could have lost Ruger Firearms completely! Be glad we have what we do have AND how well they take care of us!"

Star43

Blackhawk
You are so correct also from your first post, that by far, most people only talk about something if there is a problem, which is completely normal, as we are all human.....but all the good/great Ruger guns working out there fine don't get much talk as they work fine.....That is what I love about this forum. People can mention a problem with a gun and how many guys step right up trying to help or give a suggestion....All the time...And Especially the ones who write about them as they are proud and happy with them....Yes, we should be glad we have what we have !! And on a side note, good luck moving that lathe and hope it works fine for you !! Good luck......😊😊

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
So many good stories above, both about Ruger and about the Single-seven.
I don't get to shoot as often as I'd like, and have probably 75-100 rounds through my S7 (none for the last 2 years or so). As I recall, the base pin was sumbitch to get back in for a while, but was starting to get better.
And I haven't had a chance to investigate while resting it, but every time I've shot it, 6 shots group great and one doesn't. Probably just me, but maybe not?

Star43

Blackhawk
When you say 6 shots group great and 1 doesn't, do you mean the first 6 are good and the 7th is off? Or the off one is just scattered in the mix ?

Star43

Blackhawk
Scattered in the mix.
Like Hankus said, that could be a possibility, but if it is scattered, maybe you just loosened your group inadvertently or slightly flinched. Just try to notice it next time you shoot and go slowly. It may be just that, hopefully. It would be easier per se, if it is "us", and not the gun. Which it seemingly is most of the time. Just a thought. 😊

davidkachel

Bearcat
I have heard that Ruger is going to be making Single Sevens again .......👍 . So keep on the watch ......
On a scale of one to ten, one being the wino that hangs around outside the local gun shop and ten being a Ruger Vice President who swore you to secrecy, how reliable is your source? ;-)

My 5.5 came from the factory in perfect spec. Two Dogs custom front and a Bowen rear with Powers hammer and trigger gives a two pound crisp pull with factory springs.
Order some cases from Starline and reload for it. Ninety nine gr Sierr+a JHPs are the most accurate.
I had never had a Ruger single action apart before and it took ten hours to install the Powers parts which are exquisite. There is some fine work involved with small files to time the revolver real good, but I had the books the right gauges and tools to get a nice result and very fine accuracy at 25 yds and beyond.

Star43

Blackhawk
So it sounds to me that right now, you have the perfect back woods carrying gun with 7 Rounds of very potent .327. Sounds like the perfect gun. Not only for the woods but household defense, etc, etc. Can you show a picture of it ?? 🙂😊

Bruce51

Bearcat
I'm back with an update.
Installed the Wolf #17 hammer spring for a range test.
Every round fired and not one 32 SWL primer pierced out of forty fired.
Twenty two rounds of full power loads fired
with zero pierced primers.
Twenty eight rounds of mid range loads fired with five pierced primers.
There were no other failures or jamming of the cylinder caused by the FP spot welding to the primer.
It seems my seven year quest to have a SS function properly is almost achieved.
I will polish down the FP a bit to try to eliminate the mid range load issue.
Just need to shoot some more ammo to see if the misfire problem will return when the FP bushing gets a bit dirty.
Thank you all for listening.:)
Bruce 51

Bruce51

Bearcat
I always just want my firearms to work properly so I can enjoy my range time. When it fires I really do like the weight, feel and accuracy of this SA revolver.
Just for giggles I loaded up two 32 SW cases with five grains of FFF under a 100 grain LFN Missouri bullet. Quite the show with a nice white puff and two well centered hits on the target.
I should have shot them last but I started with those two messy loads. Had to brush the chambers to continue shooting.
No pierced primers on those two cases.
(y)
Bruce 51

Star43

Blackhawk
Well at least no pierced primers. I hear what you say about the weight and feel of the Single Six gun platform. To me for a woods gun it is the perfect size, but with your gun, the Single Six is shooting the .327 round. I think that with this gun, one has the almost perfect all around gun. IMO. Well, yours will be almost perfect when you are done "adjusting it". Keep going !!! 🙂👍👍

Ethang

Blackhawk
I'm back with an update.
Installed the Wolf #17 hammer spring for a range test.
Every round fired and not one 32 SWL primer pierced out of forty fired.
Twenty two rounds of full power loads fired
with zero pierced primers.
Twenty eight rounds of mid range loads fired with five pierced primers.
There were no other failures or jamming of the cylinder caused by the FP spot welding to the primer.
It seems my seven year quest to have a SS function properly is almost achieved.
I will polish down the FP a bit to try to eliminate the mid range load issue.
Just need to shoot some more ammo to see if the misfire problem will return when the FP bushing gets a bit dirty.
Thank you all for listening.:)
Bruce 51
Careful with this... I was told by a Vietnam Marine Sniper who got recruited to Seal Team 9 that filing down the firing pin on weapons will make them fully automatic... :)

Latest posts