41 Magnum Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cwweld

Bearcat
I've always liked the 41 magnum and have successfully hunted with one (DA S&W) for many years. I happened across a local auction for this one and wondered for some outside input. Give it a yay or nay ? If so why ?
Thanks in advance.

cwweld

Bearcat
I've always liked the 41 magnum and have successfully hunted with one (DA S&W) for many years. I happened across a local auction for this one and wondered for some outside input. Give it a yay or nay ? If so why ?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209_072046_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_072046_Brave.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 150
if you like the cartridge and it is a good one, that would be a nice companion to your DA S&W , the gun pictured has, like noted above "shooter" grade wear, wrong grips later ones for the New models, but a decent low 4 digit serial number,it all depend on the "pucker factor" and if is an auction where will it lead up to, can and usually does get "carried away" in the bidding, last NICE One we sold in the fall went for $650 and was much nicer than the one pictured,,they are out there, but most of the folks I know that have them, do NOT sell them......;)

cwweld

Bearcat
It does appear to have been around the block a time or two. Looks like maybe a bunch of holster time. 350/400 dollar gun ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209_081322_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_081322_Brave.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20240209_081412_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_081412_Brave.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 73

hittman

Staff member
Somebody will pay $600 for that but, your estimate be closer to what I'd think about,

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Are you collecting or shootin?
If you are shootin it that stuff doesn't matter. If it's a collector ,,,,better stay away.
That one looks embarrassing better than one I have loved for years.
Fugley as all get out but really puts holes where you point it.
Guess it's all about priorities.

100_0935.jpg

cwweld

Bearcat
No question, I'm a shooter. I once sold a 3 screw with a low 3 number serial number because it scattered everything I fed it all over the place !

Hittman and Contender (as well as myself) will preach the gospel of the .41 to all who will listen. Handload them or just shoot factory loads and you will be surprised what they can do and how 'easy-shooting' they can be. For those who have been made gun-shy by some hard-bucking .44 Mags, this is a pleasure to shoot in comparison. They will shoot flat and can be loaded hot if desired. I consider them a well kept 'secret' caliber.
As far as this gun, I have learned to buy an attractive gun and hope it shoots well. If it doesn't, then I normally can resell easily based on the looks of the gun, and find another. If it does shoot as I had hoped, then I have no problem keeping it looking good enough for my personal taste. My way of thinking is this: I will look at it it maybe 100 times as much as I shoot it. I'd rather look at a nice gun during all that time then an ugly one.
Good rule of thumb for picking a wife as well! :unsure:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
if you like the cartridge and it is a good one, that would be a nice companion to your DA S&W , the gun pictured has, like noted above "shooter" grade wear, wrong grips later ones for the New models, but a decent low 4 digit serial number,it all depend on the "pucker factor" and if is an auction where will it lead up to, can and usually does get "carried away" in the bidding, last NICE One we sold in the fall went for $650 and was much nicer than the one pictured,,they are out there, but most of the folks I know that have them, do NOT sell them......;)
Sure ain't gonna sell mine. NMBH I bought in '98. My daughter might when she inherits, but that's up to her. :)

gHkTNHw.jpg

cwweld

Bearcat
Hittman and Contender (as well as myself) will preach the gospel of the .41 to all who will listen. Handload them or just shoot factory loads and you will be surprised what they can do and how 'easy-shooting' they can be. For those who have been made gun-shy by some hard-bucking .44 Mags, this is a pleasure to shoot in comparison. They will shoot flat and can be loaded hot if desired. I consider them a well kept 'secret' caliber.
As far as this gun, I have learned to buy an attractive gun and hope it shoots well. If it doesn't, then I normally can resell easily based on the looks of the gun, and find another. If it does shoot as I had hoped, then I have no problem keeping it looking good enough for my personal taste. My way of thinking is this: I will look at it it maybe 100 times as much as I shoot it. I'd rather look at a nice gun during all that time then an ugly one.
Good rule of thumb for picking a wife as well! :unsure:
The 41 Magnum performed very well over the years with my handloads. On the left is a recovered 175 grain (now 172 gr.) Remington JHP and on the right is a recovered 200grain (now 184gr) Remington JHP.
Back when Illinois had a late season "handgun only" hunt.

Attachments

• 20240209_173229.jpg
    20240209_173229.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240209_173212.jpg
    20240209_173212.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240209_173040.jpg
    20240209_173040.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240209_172948.jpg
    20240209_172948.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 32

SteveSt

Bearcat
I have 2 41 mag Blackhawks, one OM and a NM as well as a few other models and brands. If the gun is in decent shape and you like the 41, buy it!!! They will only go up in price and you will have the pleasure of shooting a fine gun.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Are you collecting or shootin?
If you are shootin it that stuff doesn't matter. If it's a collector ,,,,better stay away.
That one looks embarrassing better than one I have loved for years.
Fugley as all get out but really puts holes where you point it.
Guess it's all about priorities.

View attachment 39404
Looks good to me, but I've always favored the "been there, done that" look.

cwweld

Bearcat
I have 2 41 mag Blackhawks, one OM and a NM as well as a few other models and brands. If the gun is in decent shape and you like the 41, buy it!!! They will only go up in price and you will have the pleasure of shooting a fine gun.
The auction has 10 more days to run. I will inspect it Monday and see from there.

I don't know if you folks are overly optimistic about prices. Around here (Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) ANY Blackhawk is bringing $600+ if it is in decent shape. I'm talking about a 6" .357 new model. Anything in old models, or desirable calibers/barrel lengths is a $7-800 gun minimum.

Partly, that's because face to face sales are now very difficult due to legalities, but also because almost any new Blackhawk is over $700. I recent;y bought a 4 digit .41 magnum with a 6" barrel at auction. By the time all the fees and taxes were in, it was almost $1000 and had some significant wear on the barrel finish.

I'm at the point where if I see a model I really want, I just pay the price, unless it's ridiculous. Some of these guns are like land, they just aren't making any more of it/them!

Latest posts