22lr carry for defense??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
Please stop all caliber debates. If you're new to guns, use the search. This gets old quickly.
I personally hear what you are saying, and yes, to a lot of guys, it can get old quickly, But, there are a lot of new people that may not post, but are reading these things. Hopefully they will get the point that it simply makes more sense to use a larger caliber for self defense, but more importantly, they should practice and practice and practice some more, so that they know how to use a gun for their self defense, in my honest opinion. Only By practicing, will they will be more prepared. To me it's not about caliber, it's about practicing with what you got. 😊😊👍👍

that is the advise I got here about 15 or more years ago... and as I've said I took it to heart. Way too much probably to an extreme.... Well over two hundred hours of formal training.... this means I paid someone to instruct me. Now it seems that is going to change and I'm going to start to teach... does not mean I'm an expert or such just I feel a need to help others improve their skills. I'm almost done writing the two day class I'm going to help out with in three weeks... have spent at least 40 hours on this.

One of the things I've written in the class schedule is that as a conscientious gun owner one owes it not only to themselves but also to their family and society to develop these skills to the best of their abilities.

22 = break contact round....not defense.
Well the .22lr was certainly not designed to go to war with or for a person who has to or should march to the sound of cannons. I think most civilian shooting are a "break contact" situations. I've been taking cane self defense training which is designed to "break contact" and not to try to spar with some guy a lot younger, stronger, quicker and bigger than me. But to "break contact" I've got to hurt him, really hurt him and then I can break contact by walking ('cause I can't run anymore) away. If I take a solid punch, kick, elbow, knee or thrown to the ground it's all over for me. If I get the first good whack in on him, he's likely toast because there will be several more whacks to follow. These canes can break bones and easily cause death. I think it is similar to the use of a .22lr for self defense. Not the best tool for the job, but a handy tool nevertheless.

Last edited:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I purchased a Beretta 21a on a whim back in the late 80's walking out of a gun shop picking up another gun purchase. Tiny little quality .22lr pocket pistol. I used to carry it and in a pinch at bad breath distances I felt confident and safe knowing it was there and could be depended of for fast chucking 8 stinger .22's into the chest, neck and face of a dirtbag with bad intent. From 2' to 10' it would get the job done.
I still have it and it comes out once in a while. Fun little mouse gun. Now with the recent purchase of an Sig 365x which the wife doesn't care for she'll get the 21 till we get her something she'll like to carry with a bit more gitty up then ,22 lr
I'm leaning towards a new 642 Performance. Sweet little .38. I want one also.

Star43

Blackhawk
I think I could have and probably tried to do that when I was 18 but now it would only be a limp pipe dream......

Actually, I suspect more people have been killed with a 30 caliber rifle round than any other caliber....
Oh, but what a way to go......Not talking about the 30 caliber rifle .........

Firearm practice should be like sex. At least twice/day, every day, for 40 years. 😁
You know, I've been working on getting that right for almost six decades. Seems every time I think I get it figured out there's just more to master (oh brother do I have a pun for this one). I guess I'll just have to keep trying.

I will admit that I did get it right at least twice. But it ended up costing me a fortune over the years.

Star43

Blackhawk
You know, I've been working on getting that right for almost six decades. Seems every time I think I get it figured out there's just more to master (oh brother do I have a pun for this one). I guess I'll just have to keep trying.

I will admit that I did get it right at least twice. But it ended up costing me a fortune over the years.
Fortunes come and go......but with all of your mastering of the situation, you are still here and fine.....you will get figured out one day....😊👍

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
I think I could have and probably tried to do that when I was 18 but now it would only be a limp pipe dream......

Actually, I suspect more people have been killed with a 30 caliber rifle round than any other caliber....
I would agree on the .30 cal rifle bullet if we where talking about military actions or included wars. On the civilian side of the US statistic's, it's the 22 LR. We where talking about defense, not hunting our target. I would rather go to war with a .30 cal battle rifle also. I hope that time is behind me.

When a professional kills useing a .22 LR for a head shot, it only takes one. Shot placement is the difference between instant cessation of action and a wound.

Great posts everyone. Conversation with all these experienced folks is entertaining and fruitful.

I would agree on the .30 cal rifle bullet if we where talking about military actions or included wars. On the civilian side of the US statistic's, it's the 22 LR. We where talking about defense, not hunting our target. I would rather go to war with a .30 cal battle rifle also. I hope that time is behind me.

When a professional kills useing a .22 LR for a head shot, it only takes one. Shot placement is the difference between instant cessation of action and a wound.

Great posts everyone. Conversation with all these experienced folks is entertaining and fruitful.
When it comes to defense, most actions occur within a few feet, not 100 yards. Like using a shotgun for home defense. It could be loaded with sand, but ar 5 or 6 feet there is no spread- still make a solid hole. .22LR is as good as anything else at that distance.

hpman66

Hunter
Short synopsis: Guy, while exercising, uses a LCPII 22LR to defend himself & kid on a bike against an aggressive dog. One shot fired, dog runs away(shot?) and no one bitten or harmed.

Last edited:

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
That video is well worth watching. It provides a valuable lesson: that even when in the comfort of your own known neighborhood, always carry. It would have been so easy to "not bother" and leave the gun at home.

Sorry, but if that is all you have to defend yourself, then unless your accuracy is dead on, and you can stop the threat, you'll be making a fatal mistake. Always carry a cartridge of sufficient diameter to stop a potential threat, whether it be a 2 legend or a 4 legged aggressor.

That video is well worth watching. It provides a valuable lesson: that even when in the comfort of your own known neighborhood, always carry. It would have been so easy to "not bother" and leave the gun at home.
Not too bad a video but he could have cut about ten minutes off it by doing away with all the "um"s

I recently bought a Keltec P17 and love the little gun, very accurate and so far flawless in shooting. I carry a G3c 9mm and my wife has also been practicing with my other G3c and she is thinking of carrying soon as well. After shooting the Keltec, she has fell in love with it and now wants to carry it and not the G3c. She does have some trouble with the G3c as she is recoil sensitive and doesn't like shooting it very long at a time. The Keltec, she shoots 50 rounds and wants more. What do y'all think about the Keltec P17 as a defensive handgun? Thanks for any help.
Any sidearm will work keeping one thing in mind. If you want to be alive after it's over then you need to be able to make a headshot every time without exception. In the liberal hell hole where I live regardless of caliber we are limited to carrying FMJ
ammunition which usually goes in one side and out the other so unless you can make a heart shot you might conceivably need a whole magazine to get the job done but with HP you may only need one or two. I carry a 1911 Commander with 30 rounds of 9mm FMJ and I always practice the headshot at 15 yards. If your Mrs. is willing to practice the headshot at 15 yards once a week at the range her .22LR will work but if not she's taking a big risk with an unpowered pistol.