22lr carry for defense??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Besides President Reagan, also hit were DC Police Officer Thomas Delahanty, Secret Service Agent Tim McCarthy, and White House Press Secretary James Brady. All of their wounds were serious at the time and all were incapacitated to a certain extent at that moment.

The .22 LR would not be my choice for a "one shot stop," but it likely would reduce the effectivess of a bad guy, depending on where you hit him.

Last year I got this chart from somewhere; my apology for not knowing the source nor the accuracy of its contents:

View attachment 40958
Better hide that chart, that's gonna ruffle some feathers.

An important point that the chart doesn't mention is are those percentages after a single hit? If so, the the math geek in me tells me to shoot them twice with my .22LR if I want to have the same odds as all those other rounds. Problem solved and I can avoid buying a big-boy caliber gun.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
just adding my two cents in to the self defense discussion. The photo is a target shot at 50' with a MK-IV 22/45 target model. Granted no one was shooting back and there was no stress. The head was shot two handed and the body was one handed. My point is that shots must hit the target and for some folks the recoil or weight of the firearm makes a follow up shot difficult. I fired a total of 30 rounds in about 2-3 minutes. not bad for a 70 year old with not the best eyesight.

Attachments

• target 1.jpg
    target 1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 30
Way to go Chief. Was it with iron sights or a red dot. I shot my MK4 today for the first time with a red dot. It was a lot easier for my 62 YO eyeballs than with the iron sights.

Anyone that helps their significant other train to use any gun, 22 or 38 needs to emphasize multiple shots. Instead of a snub nose 22 for a house gun I'd recommend a Ruger 10-22. Rifles point easier, bullets go out significantly faster, and the trigger is easier to use.

Although I seldom agree with Blume, I believe you are doing your spouse a major disservice not emphasize, transitioning to something more substantial. If she can't handle a 38 Special try a 38 short. Lost River Ammunition carries it, and they ship.

GhosT

Blackhawk
{Of course, just one man's opinion}
Own several handguns, mostly Rugers.
Among them a Mark 2 22/45.
Too large for concealed carry, but if only one person broke into my house...maybe ,just maybe ,the 10
rounds might work.....if most hit.

22 long rifle rounds have killed way more people than you would expect, but Zero stopping power.
Usually just hurts and pisses them off first. usually hour(s) before they die.
An attacker is gonna be pumped full of adrenaline. Will feel less pain.

Bullet size and weight matters.
Although not a huge fan of the .380 round, still WAY MORE EFFECTIVE than a 22lr.

The goal of firing in self defense is not killing yer attacker, it is to stop him as fast as possible from killing you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the gentleman that started this thread......some JMHO ADVICE....

Take her to the range ,let her fire her .22lr at the target all she wants,slowly, well aimed shots.
But end yer range day, having her fire one or 2 magazines....her choice...with a handgun with a
better defensive round...nothing over-powered...but again ,slow aimed shots.
As much time as she want between shots.....zero rush.

The first time, odds are her accuracy will not be good.
Tell her, cool that she fired them at all.

Do that for every range trip....her ''sensitivity'' to recoil will prolly diminish.
and ,her accuracy will improve.

I am not a fire arms instructor... I am a 63 year old man that bought my first handgun in 1981.
And no one to taught me.

Owned guns since 1978, .... in the...good lord...46 years later....ughh...63 now... man, typing that...feel old...
I have taught many a man, woman, and older teenager about guns.

Plenty of members on this site own way more powerful, harder recoiling handguns than mine..
My limit is 44 magnums ,own two... favorite is a scoped Super Redhawk/...one 6'' stainless GP100 .357 magnum...far from abusive...and a snub nose 2 1/4'' SP101 .357 magnum that made many a tough guy
say ''OUCH!'' when they fired it....lol

That said,
Moving up from a .22 long rifle rim-fire to a .380. or a standard 9mm is far from hard.
{purposely trying to sound sexist,even a woman can do it.}

LOL, ...decades ago, took my ex-wife to the range along with my Ruger P95, with the slightest instruction, and some patients, 4 trips to the range/250+ rounds, at 15 yards,her grouping was as good as mine.

At the 25 yard range using silhouette targets, lets just say...afterwords had no doubt she could more than defend herself, while I was at work.

I will agree with the posters that said a 22 long rifle is better than nothing, but..
IMHO, any woman or man can easily learn how to shoot a 9mm well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GhosT

I have to tell y'all that I am a member of a very super liberal 'church' and I suspect over half the membership are about as anti gun as you can get this side of China. I was at my FFL about two years ago and one of our newer members walked up and we kind of danced lightly around the discussion of guns.... It seems like we kind of maybe did the same thing at services over the last year or so. Well now he has decided to join our safety team and one of the other members on the team told me this guy actually had a you tube channel that he really did not want the other members of our fellowship to know about... but I texted the guy and asked if he would send me a link to the 'video'. I had no clue... 11+K subscribed viewers and over 200 videos.... here is one where he is comparing two 22lr rounds... watch this thing and see what it does at the end to the coconut.

irishjack

Bearcat
Another shortcoming with the .22 is ammo reliability. Sometimes the priming compound does not go all the way around the rim and you get a click instead of a bang when you squeeze the trigger. In most cases if you reinsert the cartridge so the firing pin so it hits a different spot on the rim, it will go off. If I had to use a .22 handgun for self defense, I would much rather have a revolver rather than a semi auto pistol since all I would need to do would be to pull the trigger again instead of having to rack the slide in the event of a bad round.

A 22 is still better than nothing, that is for sure. Some folks, including women who are uncomfortable with firearms, might carry a 22 but would not carry anything bigger, then they surely are safer with the 22. It might not be enough to stop the attacker, but likely is enough to make him decide to try his attack on someone else.

1,The chances of any of us "needing" a gun is low, but we could take a poll and statically there will have been "needs".
2. If in a situation where you "need" a gun the best I can determine more often than not a shot does not have to be fired. "Having" a gun was sufficient. A lady in our church said she carries a .25 Browning and had to present it twice and take the safety off once. I never would have guessed!
3. If a shot or shots were fired statically the .22lr does surprisingly well. Admittedly the stats on "stopping power" are low. On hitting vital areas the .22 does about as well as any other handgun caliber.
4. The main issue with the .22lr is reliability of the ammo and the firearm. The ammo, well certain ammo, has become much more reliable, not as reliable as center fire, but in my mind reliable enough to depend on.
5. Revolvers resolve most of the gun/ammo reliability concerns, but give up capacity.
6. I bought a Taurus .22 revolver and got rid of it ASAP! I swore off any more Taurus guns. Then I bought a Taurus TX22. I have no problem with relying on the TX22 with CCI 40gr MM, or equivalent ammo.
7. I have no need to rely on the TX22 or any of my .22 handguns for self defense because there are better "tools" for the job. In my case a Glock 42, or Glock 26 or original LCP Custom. I don't carry large, heavy handguns.
8. I only thought I would "need" a handgun once when I worked on a pipeline for the summers. There was a wielding labor dispute and I worked as a wielder's helper. I was told if I showed up for work the next day I could get shot. My Dad was the field office manager. I would rather get shot then let him down and carried a .22 High Standard 9 shot revolver, only gun I had, in a large wielder's glove. Turns out I didn't "need" it. Glad when that day was over. But having the .22 revolver was infinity better than being unarmed. No one likes extra holes put in them.

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
I agree with using a TAURUS TX22. We have the PRO that takes Red dot or other recital sights (NV compatible). We have a light on it and a holster to match.18rds of .22 is better that 6 of 380 or 9... Jules is a math thing. It has little to no recoil so a shot aimed is a hit. No issue with smaller framed or out of practice shooters not handling recoil. Lots of larger single stack mag holders take the TX22 mags like a champ. We shoot LE Qual's and can do 230+ every time. Did I mention the light? and it still is 2/3 the weight of regular gun. Keep it clean, shoot it often with good to great ammo and you will not have issues. Rotate your ammo out of old and into new mags once a quarter. Three years, two guns and six of us shooting them. No issues. YouTube will show you have to increase reliability. Do them is you still have worries. Stupid simple stuff that works.

Last edited:

Star43

Blackhawk
{Of course, just one man's opinion}
Own several handguns, mostly Rugers.
Among them a Mark 2 22/45.
Too large for concealed carry, but if only one person broke into my house...maybe ,just maybe ,the 10
rounds might work.....if most hit.

22 long rifle rounds have killed way more people than you would expect, but Zero stopping power.
Usually just hurts and pisses them off first. usually hour(s) before they die.
An attacker is gonna be pumped full of adrenaline. Will feel less pain.

Bullet size and weight matters.
Although not a huge fan of the .380 round, still WAY MORE EFFECTIVE than a 22lr.

The goal of firing in self defense is not killing yer attacker, it is to stop him as fast as possible from killing you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the gentleman that started this thread......some JMHO ADVICE....

Take her to the range ,let her fire her .22lr at the target all she wants,slowly, well aimed shots.
But end yer range day, having her fire one or 2 magazines....her choice...with a handgun with a
better defensive round...nothing over-powered...but again ,slow aimed shots.
As much time as she want between shots.....zero rush.

The first time, odds are her accuracy will not be good.
Tell her, cool that she fired them at all.

Do that for every range trip....her ''sensitivity'' to recoil will prolly diminish.
and ,her accuracy will improve.

I am not a fire arms instructor... I am a 63 year old man that bought my first handgun in 1981.
And no one to taught me.

Owned guns since 1978, .... in the...good lord...46 years later....ughh...63 now... man, typing that...feel old...
I have taught many a man, woman, and older teenager about guns.

Plenty of members on this site own way more powerful, harder recoiling handguns than mine..
My limit is 44 magnums ,own two... favorite is a scoped Super Redhawk/...one 6'' stainless GP100 .357 magnum...far from abusive...and a snub nose 2 1/4'' SP101 .357 magnum that made many a tough guy
say ''OUCH!'' when they fired it....lol

That said,
Moving up from a .22 long rifle rim-fire to a .380. or a standard 9mm is far from hard.
{purposely trying to sound sexist,even a woman can do it.}

LOL, ...decades ago, took my ex-wife to the range along with my Ruger P95, with the slightest instruction, and some patients, 4 trips to the range/250+ rounds, at 15 yards,her grouping was as good as mine.

At the 25 yard range using silhouette targets, lets just say...afterwords had no doubt she could more than defend herself, while I was at work.

I will agree with the posters that said a 22 long rifle is better than nothing, but..
IMHO, any woman or man can easily learn how to shoot a 9mm well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GhosT
Good post.....yes when we are on our 60's and getting to the later 60's, it's hard to write some time, but we are still kids at heart.....your story of starting with rifles and then handguns, and then going on to train people to shoot, guys, women and children. Yes, done and do that......isn't it amazing how easier it is a lot of the time, to train a girl or woman to shoot, and they pick it up and do very well !! It's because they listen and make eye contact, and again they listen, and follow the instruction, and get good results....🙂🙂👍👍

Latest posts