Meet the 5 Best Concealed Carry Semiautomatic Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WV338

355th TFW
For daily carry I like my Sig P938 then S&W 360PD and sometimes the Kimber Ultra Carry. But that's just me. I know there are many others that are just as good and serve the members well.

I've owned a Glock 19 and Glock 20. They were OK to shoot but I had difficulty taking them down to clean. My off hand (right) is very weak (due to a mis-set double compound fractured wrist while in the military). Glock take-downs are just too awkward for me to do.

S&W M&Ps are my carry guns. I like the angle of the grip, and takedown is very easy.

I want a pistol that is reliable, easy to maintain and can be made to shoot accurately - a hurdle some pistols fail but most pass. For pistols that pass that hurdle, I suspect personal preference is the major reason people have a favorite.

Sirdutch

Bearcat
Sorry but the author of that lost me with the first two... Glock (which ever one) and the Walther PPK? give me a break... I did not read any further , but has he or she actually shot a PPK?
There are a multitude of better choices in that realm.... just because it was made famous by Ian Fleming who was as knowledgeable about firearms as Joe Biden....does not make it a good concealed carry choice. This person obviously had drunk too much of the Glock Kool-aid. But then I'll admit my prejudice is that I just personally don't care for them.... swore for years I would never own a Glock... but never say never... I own 3 and my prejudice still stands... other than they aren't nearly half as ugly once you own one.
Personally, I love both the PPK and Makarov. That said, neither is comfortable to shoot. (Neither firearm is the absolute best choice but what is the best is relative.) I've carried the Makarov for years as it was affordable at the time I needed it. (The PPK is a safe queen. Both have historical interest for me. I no longer carry the Mak)

black1970

Blackhawk
I've owned a Glock 19 and Glock 20. They were OK to shoot but I had difficulty taking them down to clean. My off hand (right) is very weak (due to a mis-set double compound fractured wrist while in the military). Glock take-downs are just too awkward for me to do.

S&W M&Ps are my carry guns. I like the angle of the grip, and takedown is very easy.

I want a pistol that is reliable, easy to maintain and can be made to shoot accurately - a hurdle some pistols fail but most pass. For pistols that pass that hurdle, I suspect personal preference is the major reason people have a favorite.
Midway has a Glock takedown tool. Very handy.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I still carry 45 in the winter usually a 4.25 inch Kimber..Summer I carry a Sig 365...and a Smith 60-4 sometimes....a PPK sucks. Swore I'd never own a Grock but I recently bought a Glock 43?...a little 6 shot Glock..Don't remember the number but new in the box it cost me 250. I prefer the Sig 365...a 12 shooter

There is a simple way to take down a Glock. I get it, it is not easy and takes some fine motor skills and strength. With an empty gun and decocked of course. Place the front sight base against a table or solid object on the side of that object while gripping the gun normally. Use index fingers on each hand, place on each side of frame take down buttons. Push gun forward at that object and push down on take down buttons. If you have large hands, one hand over the top of slide will work. It works since you're not trying to pull the slide back with a hand and push the take down buttons with the other. I do it up against a work bench edge or tabletop edge. You're not slamming the gun against the table, just a slight push against it after you place the gun against it. It will not damage the gun of table. I taught that to many of the smaller size officers. Although I am not small it is easy, fast, simple.

Last edited:
kmoore I'm not as ornery as I seem here and will give your method a try,.... but regardless of how 'easy' that method is compared to the official special handshake method Glock suggest... it is still a joke compared to a Sig .... just my prejudice. Heck, I just realized I've got a Glock 19 in my highway emergency kit beside me as I type this.... so, here goes....

Edit (three or five minutes later): you are right it works much better than the suggested method from Glock but is still not easy.... you have to find a squared corner on the table and then maybe it is just me but it is very hard for me to push those small tabs down together, at least on my Glock 19x they just barely stick out.

Last edited:

pyth0n

Buckeye
Any ones list is subjective. I don't disagree with the OPs choices & it doesn't matter that he wrote the article for msn. Anyone's list can be viewed ridiculous because the reader disagrees with it.
He said it was HIS choices for the top 5.
My rotation choices lately are GLOCKS 26/27, G43X (with shield 15 rnd mags), KAHR P9/40, PM9/40, P380, RUGER LCP MAX, KELTEC P32/P3AT. The Kahrs & Ruger have been getting more carry time the last few years.

kmoore I'm not as ornery as I seem here and will give your method a try,.... but regardless of how 'easy' that method is compared to the official special handshake method Glock suggest... it is still a joke compared to a Sig .... just my prejudice. Heck, I just realized I've got a Glock 19 in my highway emergency kit beside me as I type this.... so, here goes....

Edit (three or five minutes later): you are right it works much better than the suggested method from Glock but is still not easy.... you have to find a squared corner on the table and then maybe it is just me but it is very hard for me to push those small tabs down together, at least on my Glock 19x they just barely stick out.
You're right. But when Glock is the gun your required to carry. It's about as good as it gets. Glock was state of the art many years ago, now days seems most pistol makers want to copy some aspects of Glock and really update some pit falls Glock has. One is the take down. My S&W shield has a better take down method. In Dec. I was helping a new shooter with the Glock sub compact in .45 auto. He has large stubby fingers. Those small tabs are terrible for him to feel.

even though I'm not a fan of striker fired pistols here is the irony and hypocrisy.... the last two times I took a four day defensive handgun class I used my Sig P320c (compact) with a red dot (Romeo 1) sight on it. Dern thing is an awesome shooter . But, I'm old school and just don't feel comfortable carrying it every day.

I wonder how many list of "Best Concealed Carry Guns" are out there. I would guess about 10,000 with every kind of gun made. Personally I couldn't care less. I am a shootings enthusiast since a kid, and have been carrying EDC for about 15 yrs. I know what is best for me. Have no idea what is best for someone else. I do know that some of the gun's I do carry are NOT the best for some shooters. One's that do not want to take the time to learn.

"BEST" (anything) is a personal choice and no one can make that choice for someone else. As kmoore said, you may be forced to use something you don't like.
I've been through several iterations of CCW carry guns from SA semi-auto to SA/DA to revolver and the choices have changed due to work requirements, hand issues, or simply a new/better model.
I'm currently carrying a model not among the listed because it's affordable, rugged, dependable, and I can shoot it equally well with either hand. Those factors make it 'BEST' for me (at this time).

Mike J

Hunter
These articles are just opinion pieces. We have so many options today I just try to figure out what works for me. I wouldn't even attempt to figure out what might be best for everyone else.

Armybrat

Buckeye
My preferences

image0.jpeg
IMG_0431.jpeg

KIR

Sparks, NV
Just ordered a holster for my new IWI Masada 9 mm that holds 17 +1 rds. Just might work for me as it is smaller than my BHP.

Ride1949

Hunter
The Springfield XD-9 Sub Compact Mod .2 fits my hand good, conceals well and is a reliable and accurate pistol.

For pocket carry I like my Kahr CM9.

Edit: pics won't load

Last edited:

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Glocks and PPK's... oh, my!

First, like a few here, I never liked Glocks: "plastic frame" and ugly. In 2016 I bought a Glock 41 (.45 ACP) solely because I thought Hilary was going to win and if I didn't like it I could sell the gun at a good price later.

Well, after shooting it I really liked it. So now I'm keeping it and its three 15-round magazines which can't be bought in WA any more.

PPK. Some have said they have feeding issues due to the way rounds hit the feed ramp at a somewhat sideways angle. Doesn't matter. I despise anything that becomes famous due to a fictional character - especially when the narrative seems to ignore the character being fictional ("this is Bond's gun", "this is Bond's watch"). I bought a SIG P232 because it looks better and is reliable.

IMG_2649.jpeg

For carry - either my S&W M60 in .357 or my LCP in .380

Latest posts