South Carolina Now Permitless Carry State

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gary Slider

Bearcat
South Carolina – The Governor has signed Bill 3594 making South Carolina the 29th state to pass Permitless Carry. It lowers the age to apply for a permit and to carry under permitless carry to 18. Though Louisiana Governor signed his bill first (28th state) the South Carolina Bill went into effect the moment the Governor signed it while Louisiana will not go into effect until July 4. https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess125_2023-2024/prever/3594_20240305.htm

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Something of interest is the State by State electoral votes. Here's the list of anyone wants to add up the 29 permitless carry States v. the other guys. This may, or may not, become a deciding factor for Nov. Permitless carry States have 254 electoral votes The other guys have 281. Assuming all of the Permitless States cast their votes for the good guys, we'll still need another 16 electoral votes minimum, if we have a chance of winning in Nov.

Here's the list of Permitless carry States, less LA and SC, so don't forget to add them in.

Last edited:
Spent yesterday morning 'discussing' this new law with two good friends who are as liberal as they come and on top of that did not grow up here but in Germany and are now naturalized citizens.
My personal opinion on this is nothing will change. The people who want to carry a gun, both the good guys and the bad guys will continue to and the people who don't want to will just keep not carrying. I often wonder out of the 400,000+ folks here that have permits... how many actually carry a gun?

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
I agree with Blume. Contrary to the preachers of doom and destruction -- who said EXACTLY the same junk when concealed carry permits were approved -- the world will not end but continue to turn, just perhaps a bit more peaceably.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Here's the plain language translation of the new law.

Summary of South Carolina Gun Laws

South Carolina is a shall-issue, permitless carry state with concealed weapons permits issued at the state level by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED).
There is no permit, background check or firearms registration required when buying a handgun from a private individual.
As of March 7th, 2024, open carry as well as concealed carry is legal without a permit to anyone 18 years of age or older that is not prohibited by law. A "concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than 12″ in length carried openly on one's person or in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property. Areas that are off-limits to concealed carry are also off-limits to open carry. In addition, private properties posted with signs stating 'No Concealable Weapons Allowed' prohibit both open and concealed carry.
CWPs are issued to residents, non-residents who own property in the state and military personnel stationed in South Carolina. Concealed carry permits require an 8-hour firearms training course that has been approved by the state. The minimum age to obtain a CWP is 21 years old. In terms of reciprocity, South Carolina honors resident permits from states that recognize South Carolina permits, provided that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. Some areas are off-limits, including schools and courthouses.

Self-Defense

South Carolina is a Castle Doctrine state. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in a place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground.
A person is presumed to have a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or another person when using deadly force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily injury to another person if the person:
  • Against whom the deadly force is used is in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, has unlawfully and forcibly entered a dwelling, residence or occupied vehicle, or if he removes or is attempting to remove another person against his will from the dwelling, residence or occupied vehicle; and
  • Who uses deadly force knows or has reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act is occurring or has occurred.
A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in another place where he or she has a right to be, including but not limited to his place of business, has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or another person or to prevent the commission of a violent crime.
"Dwelling" means a building or conveyance of any kind, including an attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging there at night.
"Residence" means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest.
"Vehicle" means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property.
[S.C. Code Ann. § 16-11-440]

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
With over 50% of states now "allowing" their citizens to exercise their constitutional rights (see what I did there) it's time we just called those states that outlaw constitutional rights unconstitutionalist states.
Anti-constitutionalist would be more appropriate.

the worst part about this happened about two years back when 'they' passed a law that anyone with a concealed weapons permit could open carry... they changed the signage law and this caused many places to post.... before that the no concealed weapons sign was very specific and actually hard to do right... it still is but now it just says no concealable weapons... which is pretty ambiguous if you think about it.. does that mean my Swiss Army knife. and also since I really can't conceal my 12gage pump shotgun can I carry it in?

The really strange part about the new law is that SLED (SC state police) are now required to offer a free concealed weapons class every month in every county.... this is a good thing but I just wonder how it will work out....

yep.... as far as I know.

The interesting thing is I've yet to see anyone here in S.C. recently or even before open carrying......

So, probably the only thing that will have changed is SLED now has to offer free classes and that will cost us tax payers money. But I guess the irony is that's what I've been saying is the step to the solution to our gun violence problem in this country... universal training... but then I say it needs to be mandatory... for everyone... regardless of whether they own a gun.

The funny thing is no one on either side of the fence likes my idea.

Latest posts