anyone carry this way??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I carry iwb most times but sometimes with tight pants I goowb with a longer shirt. My friend came over the other day to shoot in my back yard and bragged how he bought one of those leather Blackhawk holsters on Ebay for the xds but fits the G3c like a glove. I recently bought several and they do fit the G3c, but the way he carried has got me to ask this question. He wears the gun outside of the pants with his belt through the loop and around the holster. He says it is more comfortable and conceals the same. Here is a pic of the holster so you can know what I am asking, does anyone else do this? Take a iwb holster and wear it owb with a belt to secure it through its loop on the holster? Thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 44
I haven't tried it but I'd be concerned about the stability of the holster used that way, since it's designed and intended to be held in position by the clamping force of your pants mashing it against your body, and not just by your belt.

I simply can't tolerate having a holster INSIDE my pants. Under the belt is sort of OK but I tried a name brand tuckable IWB for the SP101 and it was too uncomfortable. Maybe I didn't give it enough time but just didn't work for me. Son uses that type holster all the time and does fine but not for me. A mute point since I can no longer draw from strong side due to shoulder issues.

If I am carrying anything that needs more than a T shirt I go with a shoulder rig. I can carry anything from my Bond Arms to a Compact semi under a button up shirt over a t shirt. If I need a jacket it's a full size will 2 30rnd reloads on the other side.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
I haven't tried it but I'd be concerned about the stability of the holster used that way, since it's designed and intended to be held in position by the clamping force of your pants mashing it against your body, and not just by your belt.
If this is true for you, your pants are 'way too tight. Unless the pants I am wearing are 2" larger than I need in the waist I wear my "IWB" holsters inside the belt/outside the pants. if your belt is a good one, stability is fine.

"If this is true for you, your pants are 'way too tight. Unless the pants I am wearing are 2" larger than I need in the waist I wear my "IWB" holsters inside the belt/outside the pants. if your belt is a good one, stability is fine."

OR If you're unable to wear an IWB holster inside your waistband your pants may be too tight. My IWB holsters fit in my waistband comfortably because my pants aren't too tight.

Yep, the reason I carry inside the belt but outside the waste band is that most of my pants have shrunk over the years... I need to check the temperature of our warm setting on the cloths washer... that has to be the problem.... now if I can just figure out why my wife's car is shrinking and getting harder to get in and out of .... if the universe is expanding why are things like this getting smaller and my work van is getting taller.... harder to reach the ladder rack? Then there is the problem with gravity... the tool box I carry in people's homes is getting heavier.....

Yep, the reason I carry inside the belt but outside the waste band is that most of my pants have shrunk over the years... I need to check the temperature of our warm setting on the cloths washer... that has to be the problem.... now if I can just figure out why my wife's car is shrinking and getting harder to get in and out of .... if the universe is expanding why are things like this getting smaller and my work van is getting taller.... harder to reach the ladder rack? Then there is the problem with gravity... the tool box I carry in people's homes is getting heavier.....
I've also noticed that the floor keeps getting further away- and harder too!

As far as the holster issue- a lot depends on the clip style and placement. I have several kydex holsters that are designed for IWB or OWB by simply changing the clip location. That said- I would only carry OWB that way with a holster with 2 retaining points, and belt straps that snapped around the belt. But the biggest issue would be holster retention- I would want to be darn sure the gun was as secure in the holster using OWB as using IWB.

I prefer the Comp-Tac clips for IWB. They are discrete, secure, and don't cause damage when they rub up against stuff. Never did understand those sharp metal clips.
IMG_7079.jpeg
IMG_7078.jpeg

Last edited:

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
It's not about the holsters folks…. In my opinion It's all about the shirt. I am a old man and not a computer wiz bang so don't know how to post a picture but Wear a banded bottom shirt.These shirts cover the pistol when you were outside your pants. Perfect for me. Look up Blair Catalog. Best banded bottom shirts out there. Both long and short sleeve. MD

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have had some holsters that after wearing them outside the pants for awhile , they will curl inward.
Then if you wear them for awhile like in the first post , they will straighten out.

Latest posts