WRF AMMO

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
Yes, and no. CCI says not to shoot it in a handgun, but I don't know why. If it's CCI, you'll see it printed on the box.

Okay, CCI says this, but it apparently doesn't pertain to a Ruger Single Six convertible:

"Q: I just purchased a box of your part number 0069 and it says 22 WRF, it is not the same size as the 22 Magnum I usually shoot, is this a "short" 22 Magnum?

A: The 22 WRF was a cartridge that was made a number of years ago, the Winchester model 1890 and some others. Shoot those cartridges only in guns so marked, WRF and WMR are different cartridges. While we are on that topic. We advise against the use of 22 WRFin pistols marked for that caliber, as we have found pistols that have small diameter barrels."

REP1954

Blackhawk
I have shot at least 3000 rounds of Winchester brand in my Single Six. It is the most accurate ammo I have shot in my stainless SS. The only problem is that it's not all that easy to find right now, This is my best off hand ever with the Ruger/Winchester combo shot at 25 yards indoors.

5of7

Hunter
Here are the cartridge and chamber drawings for the 22 Mg. and the 22 WRF. It looks to me like the WRF would be compatible with the 22 Mg chamber. 8)

louiethelump

Buckeye
the warning on the package is not about using it in 22 magnum revolvers. It is a warning not to use it in revolvers made for and marked for WRF ammo. Revolvers made for WRF are the problem and were made at a time that ammo was loaded with lead bullets. The CCI ammo has a jacketed bullet and may be a problem in old revolvers made for WRF ammo.

I've used the WRF ammo in .22 WRM revolvers for years and the only thing wrong with it is that it is often unobtainable.

There were very few revolvers made in .22 WRF, all Colts I believe. The most common (not very) was the Police Postive and Police Positive Target DAs made on the small Colt DA frame that preceded the Detective Special in the 20s, 30s, and early 40s. A few SAs were made in this caliber also, but they are VERY rare (less than a dozen, I think).

Some people think the H&R ".22 Special" top break DA was made in .22 WRF (or ".22 Remington Special"). It wasn't--they are .22 LR. If anyone but Colt made true .22 WRF revolvers, I'd like to know about it.

I have two modern .22 WRM S&W DA revolvers (48-1 and 651) and both of them like the WRF ctg. better than the "Magnum." Don't know why. They are adequately accurate with .22 WRM but tack drivers with the older round.

Some of my .22 WRM rifles are also more accurate with WRF, but only marginally, except my 1960 Win 61M, which groups with WRF but "patterns" with WRM. Go figure.