Would you buy a Ruger SP101 .22LR like this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Want a SP101 .22LR 8-shot w/ GP100-type sights?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Stop wasting your time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob72

Bearcat
Yep, in a couple of versions, just like the MkII:
1) the OMG (Old Man Gun) night table pistol- fixed sights, trit front, SA/DA or DAO and 2 1/4" or 3" barrel, full lug, s/s or blued.
2) 4-5" 1/2 lug with fixed or adustable sights, only stainless, sold as "beginners", or "backpackers'" models.
3) 5-6" full lug, adjustable sights, s/s or blued, sold as Target model.

Use a keyed cam detent cylinder-stop pin in the frame to allow switching out LR & Mag cylinders, with ball bearing detents on the crane, ala the SRH.

sp327

Single-Sixer
I would go for one. I think six shots would sell at first but 8 or 9 would be more competitive in the long run. I had a sp101 22 but sold it long ago because of the sight and only six rounds. Mostly the sight. 5 1/2 inch barrel, 8 or nine shot, adjustable sights, replaceable front sight like a GP would be great, and most important a straight barrel and good quality control. I would buy one to go along with my Smith's. With the price of ammo it's a no brainer that a quality 22 would sell

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
guns005.jpg

I love my top break, 9 shot woods gun. Don't know why but top break guns always fascinated me but a SP would be very cool indeed.

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
Nope, just do it like the original SP 22. I'm old and I can't see anymore, so I don't use sights. I like a gun that I can pull out and stick in the bad guys gut. Old school style. Pull him close to me and look him in the eyes. Nothing like six gut shots to mix sewage in your blood stream. Septic man, Septic.

Six shooters should have no more than six shots. A kit-gun size DA .22...Yes, it should have fully adjustable sights. And, as a kit-gun, if they trimmed up the barrel-lug, some, that could help in making the gun a little lighter, and definitely less homely.

Even if they made one, again, which I doubt, it would not be competition in any way with a K-22 or 617. Completely different leagues.

WAYNO.

A

Anonymous

I don't think so....in looking at the current specks on the sp, I notice that a 3"er in 327 Fed. weighs 28 oz which is a little more weight than I would consider nice in what is essentially a plinker.

Assuming that in 22 RF it would go over 30 oz...I would much rather have something of about 1/2 to 2/3 that weight...perhaps the LCR in .22 RF with a 3" bbl and adjustable sights? 8)

RickH

Bearcat
I was thinking a 4"-5" half-lug barrel with smaller diameter barrel might lighten it up a little, also higher capacity would lighten the cylinder. I guess it would take an engineer to determine how much the overall weight could be reduced, if any.

toysoldier

Hunter
RickH":u6qswd70 said:
I was thinking a 4"-5" half-lug barrel with smaller diameter barrel might lighten it up a little, also higher capacity would lighten the cylinder. I guess it would take an engineer to determine how much the overall weight could be reduced, if any.

The problem with any .22 revolver based on a .38/.357 frame is that it is bigger and heavier than it needs to be. Many are heavier than their .38 counterparts.
On this forum, you can find comments about poor accuracy using a .45ACP cylinder in a .45 colt revolver due to the bullet jump before reaching the barrel. Every .38-framed .22 has this problem. The whole gun is wider and longer than it needs to be. Just look at the little North American Arms .22s to see how little metal is needed.

Let's see someone make a truly .22-sized 7-, 8-, or 9-shot DA 22 revolver.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Sure would! I like my Single Six, but the wife needs one with a smaller handgrip size. She likes the 'fit' of my SP101, but prefers the 22 caliber.

As far as it being too heavy, why not make the frame of alloy, like the "airweight" type guns?? There would be no recoil problem, and due the much lower pressures involved, it should work fine.

Probably like 6 shots best, (yeah, I'm a 'dinosaur'....), but 8 or 9 would be OK. Just as long as it doesn't make the cylinder HUGE like the one on the 327 FM Blackhawk. I wanted one of them ReAL BaD until I saw one. The cylinder looks like a garbage can to me. Just TOOOOO big! (For the record, its cylinder mikes out at 1.63"; that is just about 0.1" smaller than my 44 Mag BH Hunter!!)

I'd prefer 4" or a bit longer barrel, too.

Think we can expect anything like this from Ruger???

RickH

Bearcat
I sure like the look of the S&W Model 63 with the 3" barrel that is supposed to be out sometime this year. When they re-introduced the Model 63 with the 5" barrel it looked a little too long (to me). But the J-frame with the 3" barrel looks just right. I can almost picture it with some nice wood grips. I think I'll start saving for the Model 63 3" and, by the time I have enough money, maybe Ruger will have something to offer. I'd prefer to buy a Ruger but I can only wait so many years.

I already reload for my handguns but considering the price of components any .22LR makes a lot of sense nowadays. I don't always feel like reloading and in the summer my garage is just too hot.

InjunBro

Bearcat
I'd love to have one! I'd prefer a 3" barrel for a trailgun. The more rounds the few spare ammo I've got to find a way to carry. I'd like some nice, rounded wood grips to dress it up. Until then my new stainless Super Bearcat will be my trailside rattlesnake shooter.

KCUB

Bearcat
Lost Sheep":3mnqcq71 said:
I never know what to do with the extra 2 rounds after shooting 8 cylindersfull.
Lost Sheep

Easy solution. Just take the extra .22 rounds and put them in that jar you keep pennies in. When it gets full, go shoot holes in the pennies.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I don't care about the cylinder capacity, 6 is fine with me too but I really do want fully adjustable sights. The old .22LR SP-101 had windage-only "adjustables" that were nearly useless. Do it right.

sebtool

Blackhawk
A 4" barrel kit gun would be good, a 3" or 3-1/2" even better, 1/2 lug of course. :wink:
Now chamber it in .22 mag, 9 shot, and I'm buying 1, no 2 ways about it. Not too interested in he .22 LR 6 shot tho.

I've got 2 old High Standard Sentinels, 1 in nice shape, the other, not so much.... When I bought the good 1, he made me take the other 1 too. :roll: I'd like to rebuild it for my son, if I can get the time, as it came from a deceased family member I was pretty fond of.

Heard some not so good stuff about the Taurus .22 mags, or I probably would have bought 1 by now.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I'd take one, but I too would prefer a six shot.

I've owned a Taurus 9-shot .22 revolver, and the timing threw me off. It just doesn't feel right. The fact that this particular gun was a POS didn't help. And I'm not a Taurus basher by trade, I've had a couple of other good ones, still have one.

-- Sam