Would you buy a Ruger SP101 .22LR like this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Want a SP101 .22LR 8-shot w/ GP100-type sights?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Stop wasting your time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RickH

Bearcat
I've been waiting for years for Ruger to make the SP101 in .22LR again. I know there are other .22LR revolvers made by S&W, Taurus and Charter Arms but I really like Ruger firearms. I even think the P-series pistols are good looking.

If I had my choice, I would want one in stainless steel with 8-9 round capacity (whatever they can do), 4" or 5" half-lug barrel and GP100 adjustable sights front and rear. The GP100 sights would allow for easy replacement of either sight if desired, such as a Hi-Viz sight for the front with stock rear sight, or night sights for both.

Then again, I would also be happy if if I could just get one like they used to make.

If there would be enough interest what would be the next step? I know Ruger makes special runs for Talo, Davidsons (I have a 5" GP100), Sports South and others. Or am I wasting my time? Thanks for your input.

J Miller

Blackhawk
I have nothing against the SP 101 in .22RF, but not as a 8 or 9 shot. Six is fine.
I've got an old H&R Sportsman 9 shot that always catches me off guard. When I get to six I open it to reload and find three live rounds. Just can't get used to that.

Make it 6 for me.

Joe

hittman

Staff member
I'd go for one of those. For all I care, they can make 'em blued too and .22 Mag would be fine.

Snake45

Hawkeye
RickH":1z9iz5wm said:
If I had my choice, I would want one in stainless steel with 8-9 round capacity (whatever they can do), 4" or 5" half-lug barrel and GP100 adjustable sights front and rear. The GP100 sights would allow for easy replacement of either sight if desired, such as a Hi-Viz sight for the front with stock rear sight, or night sights for both.
Wow, what a well-thought-out concept. It would be the first competition for the S&W K-22 since Colt stopped making the Diamondback.

Dunno if I'd actually buy one, but it would certainly get my attention.

Well done, Rick! :wink:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
How are they going to put GP sights on one? They do have that one with the rear blade that is adjustable. Also 6 shots would be more practical for them. I guess I would say don't get your hopes up for anything more than a re-introduction of the 22 they used to make. :?

....Jimbo

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
J Miller":3dl84kqw said:
I have nothing against the SP 101 in .22RF, but not as a 8 or 9 shot. Six is fine.
I've got an old H&R Sportsman 9 shot that always catches me off guard. When I get to six I open it to reload and find three live rounds. Just can't get used to that.

Make it 6 for me.

Joe
Easy solution. Only load with six to begin with.

Personally, I would like it to be a ten-shot. Ten goes evenly into 50. or 500. Just a personal fetish. I never know what to do with the extra 2 rounds after shooting 8 cylindersfull.

Of course, to get 10 shots, it would probably have to built on a GP100 frame and cylinder. But that would be OK with me, too. I'll take one in 4" and one in 6", please, to match my .357 GPs. And while we are building a wish list, bring back the Security Six family in .22 rimfire as well. I'll take a trio, 2.75", 4" and 6".

Lost Sheep

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I must admit, it sure would be nice if Ruger came up with a fully adjustable rear sight model, kind of like what some of the custom gunsmiths put on SP101's.

6 shots is fine with me, but more holes would be fine with me.

I already have an SP101 357 with a 2" barrel, 327 with a 3" barrel, and 22LR with a 4" barrel.

I would love a 22Mag with a 5" barrel.

Charlie

RickH

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Flatgate - I also have a Single-Six which was my first handgun. It is a stainless 5" convertible, I layed it away and made my final payment on my 21st birthday. In a few weeks that will be 30 years ago and it is still going strong. I guess that got me started - I've bought three more Rugers since then.

I'll have to get it out and slay some tin cans this weekend.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Considering that High Standard Sentinels, which were considered by many to be "Saturday Night Specials" in the late 60s are going for $650 on Gunbroker and that the current S&W is going for $1000, I would venture to guess that there is a strong market for a good DA 22 LR revolver.

I think that the RugerSP101 needs a 4" barrel and GP100 type sights in order to sell to its potiential. A 5" gun and a 3" gun would have real possibilities. A person would just "need" both barrel lengths.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I would prefer a GP100 version with a 10-shot cylinder.

I like single sixes but I do a lot of shooting at an indoor range where I rent a shooting lane by the hour. A single six uses up more time unloading and loading then I do shooting so a good double action that reloads much faster means more practice per time I have.

I really should just save up and buy the S&W 617 10-shot! I just have not bought a Smith in many years as I have been sort of boycoting them because of poor performer I bought back in 1996/97. Yea, I can hold a grudge a long time :wink:

Rclark

Hunter
where I rent a shooting lane by the hour.... that reloads much faster
I can understand that. My 'lane' is the great out doors and an outdoor club where the dues are yearly. Single Six or Colt Scout fill the bill nicely.

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I would be in for one, how about one with a mag/lr cylinders. The adj sights would be perfect with the two calibers and I love SS guns. I am still mad at Ruger for not making the Single Six in SS with the 4 5/8 barrel a standard catalog item, I have played he!! trying to find one of the special runs for sale at a good price.

Terry T

Buckeye
I have the 2" and 4" full lug SP101, an 8 shot 2" S&W 317, and a 9 shot 3" stainless Taurus all in 22LR. So "need" is not the operative word here.

I've been looking for a half lug 4" but haven't been able to connect with one (Ca. gun rules get in the way).

I'd like a 3" or 4", 8 or 9 shot, half lug SP101 in 22 mag.

For that matter, I'd like a stainless BearCat in .22 mag too. Still don't know why they couldn't solve the BearCat convertible problem. By the way, my first Ruger was a BearCat that I bought in 1960. I still shoot VERY well with it.

Another family member has a stainless Taurus 4" 22 mag. The double action trigger is too heavy. I understand that the 22 mag primers are a bit harder to set off and therefore the hammer spring needed to be heavier. I would guess there may be better solutions to the problem. The new LCR trigger mechanism might hold some promise.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Terry T

Thel

Blackhawk
It sounds like what I have been waiting for many years. Have an old Model 18 but would like a Ruger DA to keep it company. Unlike the later K frames the 18 is a fair amount lighter but not too light. If Ruger were to go with a GP-100 I think it would need to be 10 shot with the lighter top strap as on the fixed sight models and lighter barrel profile even with the half lug design. The SP would be nice in either 8 or 9 shot versions with an adjustable rear sight. I could live with a pinned in front sight that could be changed as on the current SPs as I don't change the front very often on my GP. I would probably replace the rear adjustable with a Bowen. I would think the market would be there due to rising ammo costs (along with component costs) for center fire. Maybe with the new management it might come to reality.