Would like to know a value of my 44, Black Hawk,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wacker1318

Bearcat
It's a 4 digit serial #. made in '56.I bought it new in 1974. It was in a "Mom & Pop" gun shop since new & never sold. I last shot it in 1978.Prob. had 10 rounds threw it.No children, time to sell. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    619.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    597 KB · Views: 197

hittman

Staff member
6.5 or 7.5 barrel?
Condition of the box? Splits, tears, repairs?
Wording on the end label?

Only made about 2500 7.5 inches.
Made over 20,000 6.5 inches I think.
Huge price difference.

hittman

Staff member
Over. $1500 wouldn't surprise me.
Also, others knowing more will chime in soon I'm sure. And, search Completed Auctions on Gun Broker.
Classified section here is free too when you decide on a price.

Rclark

Hunter
Wouldn't matter to me, but it does have a 'turn line' which no Old Model should have. Just an FYI. No idea what it is worth.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, they don't look like the original grips to me either.

Yeah, they don't look like the original grips to me either.
I do believe those are the Rosewood Contoured Grips. My understanding there was a shortage of Walnut at the time.
About 2500 of the Type 2A produced.
Also this was made in 1957 per the S/N
Very nice FT a shame about the turn line.
Still a pretty High $$ FT $1500++

I agree with Wyandot Jim (around here G1, still miss you in the Buckeye State) yes those are the proper "contoured" grips found in that era, on the .44 flatops...many of them as nice as some of the grips on the RSSE program guns then....and I agree on the price, we sold one not quite as nice beginning of the year ,boxed, for $1250 to a 'dealer'....NIce gun, nice 'package'.......(y);)

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The turn line.Totaly my doing. Showing to other people & spinning the cylinder.In my opinion,I don't think you have to shoot it very much to get that line.The detent pin & spring are there for a reason.
All that is required to avoid the turn line is to pull the hammer all the way back to full cock each and every time before letting it drop. Spinning the cylinder on half cock won't make the line because the cylinder stop is retracted. But pulling the trigger and letting the hammer go while between half and full cock will release the cylinder stop to rest on the cylinder between notches. and then turning the cylinder the rest of the way until the stop latches into the next notch is what causes the ring.

That applies to non-converted old models. New Models and OMs with the conversion kit are another story, and it is hard to prevent the turn line on those due to the mechanical differences.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Hard rubber was standard on the .357 but after shipping only a handful of .44's with those grips to gun writers and friends for evaluation, the feedback was that the checkering on the hard rubber grips was too harsh on the hand under recoil with the .44 so Ruger started selling them with smooth walnut panels almost from the start. This is the 1956 announcement for the .44:
1685211939062.png

Johnnu2

Hunter
A two digit just sold on Gunbroker for well over $8,000. Even though that's got nothing to do with yours, it's an interesting factoid:

If you hold for $1200, and find a 'non-tactical' customer base, I would think you would get at very least $1,000. IF you check your private messages on this forum, you probably already have offers over $1,000 (with that original box)... Ooops, I think you need more than 5 posts to get a PM,,, (?)

J. ;)

Last edited:

chet15

Hawkeye
My 1956 and 1957 flat top Blackhawks has black "plastic" grips. Are these not factory?
Your grips are factory original. They look like nice walnut to me, not rosewood.
The very first gun out of the factory was probably the gun that appeared in the American Rifleman Dope Bag Report, serial number 14 I believe it was. It had walnut grips on it. Before Ruger started shipping guns it was determined that the checkered black rubber grips were not nice to the hand when firing factory loads, so walnuts were made standard. I can't say there weren't a few hard rubber shipped on the earliest .44 flattops, because there may have been... but walnut was definitely standard.
By italian walnut, we mean that they had some nice figure in the panels. Keep in mind that Ruger offered walnut panels as an accessory before the first Single-Sixes were even shipped. The engraved Single-Six was also standard with walnut panels, with many of those showing tremendous burly grain. Since they had them on hand when the .44 flattop came it, it only makes sense they put the same walnut panels on their earliest flattops.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
By "Italian Walnut", we also reference the name of the company that made Ruger's early grips through 1962... Sile, which was located in Italy.
Chet15

Yes, Mr Jan Matlega from Sile got my wife some awesome, really fancy grips back when we had the gun shop in the 1970s-80s....wow wish we got MORE of them :cool: :rolleyes:;)

Yes, many of them looked like the ones the OP has pictured........(y)

Last edited: