Wood grips for a Mark II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tguil

Single-Sixer
I've been thinking about getting some Hogue wood grips for my stainless Mark II (Pau Ferro - looks like dark walnut). Anyone have experience with the smooth grips? I like the price (less expensive than the checkered) and how then look. I'm a "casual" shooter -- mostly "popping" at small varmints and plinking.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I have made a lot of grips for the Ruger 22. I have made them in both checkered and uncheckered configurations. I have shot both styles and can't really say one is better then the other. My personal 22 all have checkered grips mainly because I hunt small game with them I like haveing the extra techture in the cold. I seem to get a better hold on the gun. The other ting I have noticed it is easier to get a more consistennt hold with the checkered some of the smooth grips my hand tends to slide just a little.
Now keep in mind this is just my expiereience with them. I would say get the the smooth if you like the look later if you want you could always have them checkered. Steve

varoadking

Bearcat
http://altamontco.com/products/pistol/ruger/mark2.php

moreguns016.jpg

lupin398

Bearcat
Hey woodpile, what is the usual price/time for you to make smooth wooden MK-II grips?

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
Depending on what you want it usually runs about 2 weeks. Some times it is longer depending on what else I have going then. Most of the woods I have run $45 shipped. A few of the rarer woods go $55 Shipped. there is a really great wood supply store here in Omaha last time I counted I have over 200 different woods at my disposal.

Bozack

Single-Sixer
I have smooth factory walnut grips on my Mk II. I like them and have no problem with them. They are thicker than the standard grips and that is why I like them.

Mark III with Hogue tulip wood grips.
Picture272.jpg

Picture333.jpg

Single Six with Hogue walnut grips.
Picture336.jpg

Picture247.jpg

10?22 with Hogue overmolded stock.
range6-14056.jpg

Gopher006.jpg

What can I say? The Hogue factory is in my home town, on the way to the grocery store

Have you had the occasion to make any grips for the MKIII512RP? I just picked my RP up yesterday and am already looking for some thicker grips. I tried the ones from my CD 1911 and they fit and fill the hand. 1911 specific' grips however would need some minor mods to use on the MK III 22/45. The 22/45 grips are roughly 3/16 thick and are flat whereas the 1911 grips are approx 11/32 and are rounded.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
tquil, I have "smooth" slightly oversize grips with a thumb rest on my MKII and I like the smooth over the checkered because it allows my hand to readily manuever the gun and pick up the sights for a faster 2nd shot at critters! I have shot a lot of "critters" with it and the checkered's I had on it previously did not allow as quick a 2nd shot........................Dick :wink:

peabody

Bearcat
woodpile said:
Depending on what you want it usually runs about 2 weeks. Some times it is longer depending on what else I have going then. Most of the woods I have run $45 shipped. A few of the rarer woods go $55 Shipped. there is a really great wood supply store here in Omaha last time I counted I have over 200 different woods at my disposal.

you're in omaha ... ? i work out of omaha ....

peabody

Bearcat
woodpile said:
I live in Omaha. Lately With my day job I have not been doing grips

i understand ..
but whenever you start back up ?
i park at saps on 24th alot.
maybe we could meet up .. I'll buy lunch.

peabody

6mm

Bearcat
I have Purple Heart smooth grips on my MKII and never had a problem with the grip.

RugerMKII.jpg