Woman's first handgun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Okay 'GUYS' Jamo has already figured out the secret... let her figure it out on her own with out the help of HIM. That is the one factor that will cause a problem... the husband or boy friend. when I took my wife shooting she hated shooting everything I had, the only handguns she sort of liked were both 22lrs.

when she took a womens only handgun class she had no problem shooting a P95 and even a 1911... the difference... no husband.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":2v1q35da said:
ConradM":2v1q35da said:
Am I alone in thinking it's flat out wrong that a grown woman can't rack the slide on a handgun? It has to just be something to do with leverage and grip.
No, just a limited world view.

Not all females are 20-somethings who work out in the gym and run 5 miles every afternoon. Heck, I know some guys that would have trouble racking some semis, notably a Hi Power with a 35lb mainspring/recoil spring combo.

Why do you think women need help opening jars some times? "Upper body strength".

-- Sam

Wow... It's pretty sexist IMO to say that a woman does not have the upper body strength to operate a handgun.

I say again, my 6 year old, when shown the proper leverage can rack the slide on my SR9. You're trying to tell me the average woman is not as strong as my 6 year old?

ConradM

Blackhawk
I guess being a former mechanic I understand that over coming force has way more to do with leverage than strength.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
ConradM":7lt5o706 said:
Yosemite Sam":7lt5o706 said:
ConradM":7lt5o706 said:
Am I alone in thinking it's flat out wrong that a grown woman can't rack the slide on a handgun? It has to just be something to do with leverage and grip.

Not all females are 20-somethings who work out in the gym and run 5 miles every afternoon. Heck, I know some guys that would have trouble racking some semis, notably a Hi Power with a 35lb mainspring/recoil spring combo.

Why do you think women need help opening jars some times? "Upper body strength".

-- Sam

Wow... It's pretty sexist IMO to say that a woman does not have the upper body strength to operate a handgun.

I say again, my 6 year old, when shown the proper leverage can rack the slide on my SR9. You're trying to tell me the average woman is not as strong as my 6 year old?
Not all women, just the ones that have poor upper body strength, which is more common in women than men. Do you really not accept this? That, "imo", is a rather sexist attitude, if you want to start throwing that kind of thing around. Celebrate the differences, don't deny they exist. Next you'll be telling us the only acceptable gun is one you'd pick. Oh, wait...

-- Sam

jamo

Bearcat
Guys - guys!!! First, I 've gotten very good advice from you - thank you. Please don't go to the sexism/women thing. The military says that the most common problem with women recruits is upper body strength. That said, MANY women can handle high-caliber weapons with the proper training - just like men. Men need the same training. My wife happens to have a black belt in TaeKwonDo - she's no pushover. THAT being said, she still doesn't have the grip strength to handle my new SR9. SO WHAT????? No biggie! A revolver, or a different semi will fill the bill. I wouldn't want her to tell me what gun to own, so I won't tell her what she should own. As long as she owns, shoots, and enjoys it all with me, there's no problem. Again, thank you all for your help. Indispensable!
Jamo

ConradM

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":314oi4sx said:
ConradM":314oi4sx said:
Yosemite Sam":314oi4sx said:
ConradM":314oi4sx said:

-- Sam

Not all women, just the ones that have poor upper body strength, which is more common in women than men. Do you really not accept this? That, "imo", is a rather sexist attitude, if you want to start throwing that kind of thing around. Celebrate the differences, don't deny they exist. Next you'll be telling us the only acceptable gun is one you'd pick. Oh, wait...

-- Sam

You honestly just said that there are woman that have less upper body strength than a 6 year old? :?

You realize that that's impossible correct?

OP, sorry to go off topic. I hope your wife find's something she loves. :D

Mike J

Hunter
I like Jamos attitude & agree with let her make her own choices. Even among men what works for one person doesn't work as well for another. Whether they can force themselves to learn to do something or not. If someone is not comfortable with a gun or doesn't like it for any reason they are not as likely to practice with it.
Semi's also require more of a willingness to practice. To use a semiauto you should familiarize yourself with malfunction drills. My wife has pain in her hands that makes it difficult for her to grip very tightly. She feels more comfortable with a revolver. I believe I am better off meeting her where she is than trying to force her to use what I use.

perterra

Bearcat
You honestly just said that there are woman that have less upper body strength than a 6 year old? :?

You'll understand when your 80 years old.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":31khbvpg said:
perterra":31khbvpg said:

You'll understand when your 80 years old.
I was thinking more like 30...

-- Sam

I am 30. What does age have to do with a woman's upper body strength? I thought we were talking about normal circumstances....

If your talking about a woman in her 80's looking for her first handgun then obviously those aren't normal circumstances.

Mike J

Hunter
Just remember Conrad everyone isn't you. Different people make different choices for different reasons. Thats why we have revolvers, DA/SA autos, Striker fired autos, 1911's & other hammer fired SA autos to choose from. If they are willing to get a gun & learn to use it it is all good

ConradM

Blackhawk
Mike J":14gu48mw said:
Just remember Conrad everyone isn't you. Different people make different choices for different reasons. Thats why we have revolvers, DA/SA autos, Striker fired autos, 1911's & other hammer fired SA autos to choose from. If they are willing to get a gun & learn to use it it is all good

Umm, I'm not talking about me because I'm not a woman. :lol: Has nothing to do with choices either, where did that come from?

I'm just baffled that someone could think an average grown woman doesn't have the strength to operate a handgun. When really they just don't know how. My point is, it's a lack of knowledge not a lack of strength.

markmmg

Bearcat
I have a Smith and Wesson 22A pistol that my wife loves to shoot. It is a full size semi-auto pistol in .22 cal so there isn't much kick to it.

perterra

Bearcat
ConradM":2y66tieh said:
Umm, I'm not talking about me because I'm not a woman. :lol: Has nothing to do with choices either, where did that come from?

Who said we are discussing an "average" woman? I dont think the original poster said she was "average". I have no idea if she is "average" and I'm not sure of her age or what an "average" woman may be or not be but I do choose to take the original poster at their word. She has trouble with the slide, my 53 year old wife cant cycle the slide of my HP, so she has a revolver. But I will say if that 6 year old can crank the slide back on the afore mentioned High Power you should stick him in iron man competition while he's young.