Why I love Ruger Revolvers in Stainless so much

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
No that's not it either, although I have 2 of those already. What was really sweet about my Sharpie blue touch up, although it's mostly black, is that it is so easy to use. Just touch it with the tip which looks looks exactly like a Sharpie and it goes on & it does Not rub off like a regular Sharpie does. I have brought it with to me to show 4 gun shops and not one of them had ever seen it before. One of the guns, I know the guy very well from over the years and we look at the computer together to try to find it. Nothing. One time we thought we found it but when it came in, it wasn't it at all. It was for aluminum. What can I say. That's my luck. I'll keep looking.
Is this the one? I had no idea this existed, and one is in my cart "as we speak".This will be perfect for touching up my OM Bearcats!

Amazon product ASIN B072LT4HCZ
Edit- sorry, this one is for steel though…
Amazon product ASIN B000TTIEY6

Last edited:

Star43

Blackhawk
No, that's not it. That one looks interesting though. The key thing to me is looking at the tip. If it is clear and you have to shake it to get it going, then No, that's not it. My tip is all black like a regular Sharpie, and it says right on it: "Do Not Shake" Again, it is just like a regular black inked Sharpie pen, but the "ink" stays on the gun.

Hankus

Blackhawk
No, that's not it. That one looks interesting though. The key thing to me is looking at the tip. If it is clear and you have to shake it to get it going, then No, that's not it. My tip is all black like a regular Sharpie, and it says right on it: "Do Not Shake" Again, it is just like a regular black inked Sharpie pen, but the "ink" stays on the gun.
They'll be here in a couple of days, so I'll let you know. These certainly look like Sharpies though. If I had to guess I'd bet they're actually made by Sharpie for Birchwood Casey.

Star43

Blackhawk
Yes, Sharpie makes it. It's marked Sharpie on mine, just like a regular Sharpie, but it has the Birchwood Casey logo on it too.

Star43

Blackhawk
Any way you can post a pic? I started off not caring, but now I'd love to see what the one you have looks like.
I'm not too good at doing the picture thing. But just picture a regular looking, exactly regular looking Sharpie but Birchwood Casey logo on the side. The Sharpie logo is on the other side, and it says "Universal" in big letters , touch up pen. A regular black pointed tip, just like a regular Sharpie but has the special ink/blue formula.

Star43

Blackhawk
I live just up-hill of Puget Sound, and the salt-sea-air is not kind to blued guns.
So, stainless it is!
I am originally from the Cape Cod area in Mass. Yes the salty and humid air is definitely not the best environment for a Blued gun. I haven't lived there for 37 years, but I remember what the salt did to car and truck fenders !! The salt they used to help melt the snow on the roads totally rusted out the car fenders. And that was when the cars were built were more or sturdier & thicker metal than they are today. The wheel wells were rusted completely through. Not good at all on metal.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
I am originally from the Cape Cod area in Mass. Yes the salty and humid air is definitely not the best environment for a Blued gun. I haven't lived there for 37 years, but I remember what the salt did to car and truck fenders !! The salt they used to help melt the snow on the roads totally rusted out the car fenders. And that was when the cars were built were more or sturdier & thicker metal than they are today. The wheel wells were rusted completely through. Not good at all on metal.

Agreed, over here the road salt also means a lot of trouble for cars. As for myself, the only guns that don't rust when I carry them close to my body (such as IWB, in a pants pocket, etc.) are Glocks and stainless Ruger GP100. The slide on my LC9 did rust a lot, so did my Tokarev. In the Glocks I need to check out the recoil spring now and then, as I found out it actually does rust on me, too.

Star43

Blackhawk
You don't often see it said, but even with stainless revolvers or anything for that matter,you still have to clean it, oil it, wipe it down, etc.........not nearly so often, but, you still have to take care of your stuff.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I have used Flitz and a soft cloth to polish out my Stainless Vaqueros. Polish in a single direction for final finish. It has worked well for me.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
You don't often see it said, but even with stainless revolvers or anything for that matter,you still have to clean it, oil it, wipe it down, etc.........not nearly so often, but, you still have to take care of your stuff.
Yup, it just "stains less". I've seen otherwise nice looking stainless revolvers until you take the grips off & grip frame looks like Swiss cheese.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
The top strap of my stainless .44 Redhawk got some orange rust on it from me keeping it in an Uncle Mike's holster

I wiped it off but the top strap "darkened " from the rust. When I get around to it I'll run some Mother's on the top strap .

I also have a S&W 4046 that was a police gun, the cop that carried it must have let it get wet in the rain 100 times and just let it sit in the holster, because it has actual pitting on the slide from old rust.

It really is Stain Less

Honestly I just like how stainless guns look, especially Rugers.

That said, my friend would buy a new Python if they came in blue steel and not just stainless so it's all down to people's particular taste

Stainless makes it's money for guns that see a lot of use in harsh environments like Duty guns, etc. The S&W 65s we used to carry at my job probably would have turned to Orange dust if they were S&W 13's and not stainless. They weren't well cared for.

Star43

Blackhawk
Your last statement says it all. Be it Blued or Stainless, one has to take care of their stuff. Sure, stainless is easier, but you got to care of it. Just like knives, leave a Buck folder in the leather sheath for a long time and then look at the brass when you finally pull it out......not too pretty.