Why do Single Sixes shoot so poorly with 22 LR ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Look at all the fliers!

DSCN4080.jpg

DSCN4078.jpg

To make things worse, the thing is too light to make a good boat anchor. What to do? 8)

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
You guys are a waste of perfectly good sarchasm.

The gun is averaging a hair over 5/8" for 5 shots at 25 yards. Now I know I'm not as experienced as many around here and I don't claim to be a great shot...but I didn't think a revolver that averaged 5/8" at that distance was all that bad.

Now as for serious discussion, there are a few "fliers" on that target. The two groups at the bottom measure roughly 0.3" and 0.25" when you take out the two fliers. I was kind of guessing that could be me. However, if I do have 1 bad chamber and could figure it out... :shock:

FYI, the squares on the target are <0.5" and the four shots at the top of the page are for measuring purposes (not fliers).

Jayhawkhuntclub":1pmrjw1a said:

The gun is averaging a hair over 5/8" for 5 shots at 25 yards. Now I know I'm not as experienced as many around here and I don't claim to be a great shot...but I didn't think a revolver that averaged 5/8" at that distance was all that bad.

Now as for serious discussion, there are a few "fliers" on that target. The two groups at the bottom measure roughly 0.3" and 0.25" when you take out the two fliers. I was kind of guessing that could be me. However, if I do have 1 bad chamber and could figure it out... :shock:

FYI, the squares on the target are <0.5" and the four shots at the top of the page are for measuring purposes (not fliers).

Great Shooting!

I thought, too, the hole above each diamond was a flier. :roll:

WAYNO.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
WAYNO":22yzggf7 said:
Oh...I see now you were looking for a compliment.

WAYNO.

Well, mainly I was just excited and wanted to share with like minded people. I could show my wife and she'd say, "Oh, that's nice. Is that good?" I guess I kind of see the purpose of this forum as a place to share and a place to learn. I've certainly learned a lot here over the years. There is still plenty left for me to learn for that matter.

Also the discussion has raged on for years about how a SS can't shoot all that well with 22LR. Personally, I haven't found that to be true (even before I got the Hunter). I've wanted a SS Hunter for several years and finally got one this year. I just really enjoy the gun. I think they are severely under-rated. Of course a scoped six gun isn't for everyone. I just think they're cool.

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
I got suckered in by the holes above the diamonds too.......

I never realized a SS couldn't shoot 22LR. Mine does fine, although my Colt officers target will out shoot it pretty regularly.

5/8" 25 yard groups from a handgun is plenty good enough to qualify as accurate for most uses. Keeper in my book.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Those are outstanding groups from ANY kind of .22 revolver. Hell, they'd be pretty darn good coming from the finest of target automatics, too.

Nicely done! :wink:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Right back at ya useabow! Looks like yours is a good shooter too! My dad's is as well. That Trophy scope you have is a good one as well. I have one on my big Hunter.

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
Jayhawkhuntclub":2zvxvrf8 said:

Ha, you got me on that one! Great shooting.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Nice shooting!

---

Today I got to shoot a BFR 45-70 at 1000 yards, off hand. I was pretty impressed with it.

BFR2.jpg

BFR3.jpg

BFR1.jpg

After all its just a grown up Ruger... :D

REP1954

Blackhawk
Jayhawkhuntclub, How does this compare in your gun compared to CCI Mini Mags, 22WMR or 22WRF ammo? Those are some great groups they are for sure something to be proud of.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
REP1954":32rsop6t said:
Jayhawkhuntclub, How does this compare in your gun compared to CCI Mini Mags, 22WMR or 22WRF ammo? Those are some great groups they are for sure something to be proud of.

Rep1954: Thanks for the nice words. As for the ammo, so far I've tried:

CCI Target (shown) they are the best
Federal Auto Match: They were very good, but added about 1/8" to my groups.
Win 333: Did not work well in this gun.
Federal 550 bulk packs: Good, but not great.
Federal 375 bulk packs: I don't know if I got a bad batch, but these were awful. Groups were double the CCI Target groups on average. No misfires, but inaccurate. I would think they are exactly the same product as the 550 packs, so maybe I just got a bad lot.
I have not tried CCI Mini Mags yet.
As for the 22 mag stuff, I only shot a couple of groups with 3 different types (Winchester, Rem and CCI) one day when the gun was new. I got a pretty mixed bag: everything from 1/2" groups to 1 1/2" groups. That was a windy day and the gun was new, so who knows. I need to get out and shoots some more of those. Maybe I'll get out this week and find out. If I do I'll report back.

JHC

Jayhawkhuntclub":3kzm8fzw said:
WAYNO":3kzm8fzw said:
Oh...I see now you were looking for a compliment.

WAYNO.

Well, mainly I was just excited and wanted to share with like minded people...

Don't take me too seriously. I really did miss the point, however, of the great group. And, part of what made me miss the point, is, I do struggle with my NM Single Sixes. Even when I'm shooting well, which is not as often as it used to be, I do struggle with "fliers". Seems I cannot eliminate the fliers completely, but I can reduce the frequency of them, by shooting the ammo that I've had the best luck with, over many years.

If I shot a group such as yours, I would be the first one to post it. And, I WOULD be bragging. :wink:

WAYNO.