While iam waiting on my blackhawk 44spl flattop ....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
Lets hear about yours , one is coming from Buds , 5.5 inch , guy on phone said they just had 2 left , I guess they haven't been made in a few years ?? Ruger number 5233 , do these have the setup where its easy to load where it stops with the cylinder lined up right ? anyway , like to hear what ya think of yours while iam waiting , and I guess for replacement grips, would have to get ones with the cutout for the lock in grip frame ? Thanks . :D

57springer

Buckeye
you will like it, it is one of my favorite Blackhawks, I have a few and its a tossup between 44spec. or my 9mm/357 as the most fun to shoot !

Rclark

Hunter
do these have the setup where its easy to load where it stops with the cylinder lined up right
Answer is yes. Well, actually it doesn't stop with the cylinder lined up right. When you hear the click, you backup against the pawn and it is lined up properly :) . You'll like it :) . As for the grip panels, they are the New Vaquero grip panels. The gun itself may or may not have a lock. Mine did.

As above you can look at mine until you get yours ;), My .44 Special is the 'dirty' one on the left. The others are a .357 and a .45 Colt flattops. I have my set of shooters now, and all have been tuned up properly.

FlatTop357Grips_3_zpsbjotbhjg.jpg

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
those are nice grips! did you make those ? I was curious because I have a set on my 41 mag . that looks just like the ones on the gun on the right, I bought on ebay , and the person I think was also in Montana .

Hondo44

Hawkeye
cbnutt said:
Lets hear about yours , one is coming from Buds , 5.5 inch , guy on phone said they just had 2 left , I guess they haven't been made in a few years ?? Ruger number 5233 , do these have the setup where its easy to load where it stops with the cylinder lined up right ? anyway , like to hear what ya think of yours while iam waiting , and I guess for replacement grips, would have to get ones with the cutout for the lock in grip frame ? Thanks . :D

Yes, all the NM flat Tops have the Reverse Indexing Pawl system in the hammer channel. When you turn the cyl and it clicks, the chamber is aligned with the loading trough just like the OMs.

The grip frame lock was deleted in 2012. So unless the gun is very old inventory, it should not have the lock. If the s/n prefix is 521 it does not have the lock.

veeman

Single-Sixer
enhance

Here is my 44 Flattop, along with his brother 45 Flattop. the 44 has the lock, the 45 does not.

Rclark

Hunter
those are nice grips! did you make those ?
My grips are Bear Paw Grips. They just feel right to me. Most that I've bought, they fit ok to very good. But for a perfect fit (which I had to do with the .357) you can send in the frame for a perfect match. One time I ordered grips slightly oversize and I fitted that one my self.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Mine's not perty anymore 'cause I carry it and shoot it.

But it shoots like a house afire and will do anything that needs doing around here.

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
Rclarck , how do you like the bigger swell at the top of the grip ? I just noticed that when I looked up the Bear Paw Grips .

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
well I have it ! took 14 days from Buds , haven't got a chance to shoot it yet with everything going on, but looks great, looks like a little better fit and finish than some other new blackhawks ive seen , hopefuly its a shooter ! :)

Rclark

Hunter
Yahoo! Ya got it. Now for the shoot'n part of the equation :) .

How do I like the swell at the Top of the Grip panels? I do. My hands tend to always go to the same place with them and they just feel right in my hands. Note ... my hands. Your experience may be different.

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
Thanks, iam tempted to try them , I have kinda small hands , are they usualy best for a bigger handed person or just depends ?

Rclark

Hunter
Since they are thinner, I 'think' they are better for smaller hands ... but of course I don't know. Works for me. I have average hands with short fingers.