Which Revolver????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
If you're planning to conceal-carry it a lot, and not shoot TOO many full-on .357s through it, look into a Smith 66, which is smaller and lighter than a GP100. They don't make them anymore but there are thousands floating around out there at semi-reasonable prices.

Same goes for the Ruger Security-Sixes, which are a little bigger/heavier than the 66 but not as much as the GP100.

I prefer single actions but if you go with a double action I agree with Snake45, but I'll suggest the S&W Model 19 357 with a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder like the one below instead of the Model 66 :wink: It is a shooter but it will will maintain or gain value like Old Model Rugers if it is taken care of. I like the Security Sixes and other Ruger double actions too but I haven't handled any of them enough to say one way or the other.
19-3.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
The 19 and 66 are identical, except the 19 is made of carbon steel and the 66 is stainless.

Both were made in "pinned and recessed" and in the later, unpinned, unrecessed versions.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
The 19 and 66 are identical, except the 19 is made of carbon steel and the 66 is stainless.

Both were made in "pinned and recessed" and in the later, unpinned, unrecessed versions.

In that case I kinda wish this one was stainless :roll: :oops:

Dregg

Single-Sixer
My recommendations:
- Ruger GP-100
- Ruger Security Six
- S&W 686
- S&W 66
- S&W 19

.....and if you want to drop a lil' more coin, don't rule out a Colt King Cobra or Colt Trooper.

Here's a sample of the "Top 3 American makers"

Colt King Cobra
Ruger GP-100
S&W 686

32t9.jpg

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Well guys, here's an update. I went to LGS, tried a GP & 686. The 686 was a rental gun. Asked wifey what I should get. (just being curtious) she said get 'em both! Sell the one you don't like! WTH! The GP came home, and I ordered a S&W 686. "Good Day, Tater!" BHK

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Now carrying the 686 and the GP simultaneously might be more than I could stomach:)

Back when I did shoot IDPA (not serious just practice) I thought about getting one of the 686's designed for IDPA and try the sport seriously. I hear they are good guns. You'll probably like the 686 better since they say the trigger is phenomenal. I actually tried someone's customized smith revolver and comparing the trigger pull with my GP was like comparing apples to oranges, no competition. Unfortunately, the advantage of the GP won't come clear until thousands of .357 rounds have been fired out of both. Even then, someone who has shot the 686 a lot can comment whether this is really an issue since the 686 is a big (sturdy?) gun.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I CC a 3" SP101 in a high ride pancake holster at least 6 days a week under a loose cover shirt or jacket. I would love to carry the 4" model, but I have no doubt that that extra inch, OWB, would force me to change the length of the cover shirt (and look like a dress), but I'm just a studly (or maybe stubby) 5'8" feller.

surv

Scarface

Bearcat
"L" frame S&W would be my first choice, Then a toss up between a "K" frame Smith, SP101 or a GP100. I've put thousands of rounds through my 586 S&W (blued) since 1998. Had the timing fixed once, but that 586 has a great feel to it.

Latest posts