Which Revolver????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
I'm looking for a 357 mag, Stainless Steel, 4 " barrel revolver. I plan to carry, target shoot, ATV gun. Not limited to Ruger, so let me know your thoughts. I don't want to spend the price of a custom gun. Opinions of a Cimmaron Evil Roy, 4 5/8, 357 mag? Thanks BHK :mrgreen:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
My wife has a model 60 S&W (5 shot) 3" barrel she likes a lot. Reliable as all get out. Pretty accurate for short barrel belly gun. No hassle with multiple safeties, etc. Just draw and shoot. Double action, or you can cock it first.

images

Major T

Blackhawk
The Ruger SP101 or a S & W 60. 3-4 inch. A little longer barrel is not that much harder to conceal and shooting them is more fun. Jack

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The Blackhawk Kid said:
I'm looking for a 357 mag, Stainless Steel, 4 " barrel revolver. I plan to carry, target shoot, ATV gun. Not limited to Ruger, so let me know your thoughts. I don't want to spend the price of a custom gun. Opinions of a Cimmaron Evil Roy, 4 5/8, 357 mag? Thanks BHK :mrgreen:
That would be a GP-100. You won't ever regret owning one. :D :D

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
The Blackhawk Kid said:

If you don't plan to carry it concealed and weight isn't a big factor, the GP-100 as shown or a S&W 686 are the obvious choices for target, range and vehicle carry. Both are super strong, durable and accurate. The S&W is a bit better finished and has a better out-of-the-box trigger and is available chambered for 7 rounds but is significantly more expensive.

Snake45

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan said:
Jimbo357mag said:
The Blackhawk Kid said:

If you don't plan to carry it concealed and weight isn't a big factor, the GP-100 as shown or a S&W 686 are the obvious choices for target, range and vehicle carry. Both are super strong, durable and accurate. The S&W is a bit better finished and has a better out-of-the-box trigger and is available chambered for 7 rounds but is significantly more expensive.
Fan, you just saved me some typing. :wink:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Check out used Ruger Six Series too. GP100s are great but I prefer the Six Series any day.

DGW1949

Hunter
The Blackhawk Kid said:

You'll get plenty of advice on DA revolvers which will suit your stated needs and truth be told, that's probably the direction you need to go in. My reasoning for choosing a DA over the Cimmaron for the scenerio you present is this:

The Cimmaron model that you mention is one of the best of it's type.....but....what you are talking about there is a SA(only) revolver that can only be safely loaded/carried/stored with 5 rounds in it's cylinder. You'll also find that as-issued, it won't shoot to your POA with various loads. In fact, you'd be lucky if it did so with any certain (factory) .38 or .357 load. In other words, it's (fixed)sights will need to be regulated for one specific load....or....a specific load will need to be concocted which will shoot where the sight-picture say's it will.
What I'm getting at is that the SAA design simply does not lend itself to a wide varity of uses nearly as well as an adjustable-sight DA relover does. And to make matters worse, that situation becomes even more compounded in the caliber you want to use.

Hope this helped.

DGW

s4s4u

Hunter
plan to conceal

I love my GeeP, but it is not a small gun and can be difficult to hide. If concealment is high on the priority list one of the smaller frames might serve better.

427mach1

Blackhawk
Go to the range, rent and hold and shoot the revolvers that have been suggested and that you are considering. It is well worth it to spend a few bucks to try-before-you-buy.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The Blackhawk Kid said:
Thanks Guys! I'm leaning strongly to a GP-100, 4 inch. I plan to conceal and open carry.
Both the GP-100 and S&W 686 are going to tough to carry concealed unless you are BIG and wear bulky and loose clothing. For that particular use something smaller and lighter like the SP-101 or S&W J-frame is much better. For that matter, the easiest handgun to conceal is a compact semi-auto.

Basically, there is no one-size-fits-all handgun and various uses are better served by specific guns chosen for that requirement.

Snake45

Hawkeye
If you're planning to conceal-carry it a lot, and not shoot TOO many full-on .357s through it, look into a Smith 66, which is smaller and lighter than a GP100. They don't make them anymore but there are thousands floating around out there at semi-reasonable prices.

Same goes for the Ruger Security-Sixes, which are a little bigger/heavier than the 66 but not as much as the GP100.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
I have experience with the GP/SP. No personal problem concealing the GP in the woods or during the winter but if you wore a T-shirt to the woods it'd be an issue. But coat, sweatshirt, heavy loose shirt, no issue for me with the Galco Summer Comfort IWB. Or the SR pancake if the shirt is longer. The GP has compact grips.

Always thought about the SP 4" to replace my SP 3"/GP 4" in one gun that could conceal under a T. But the lightness of the SP combined with the heavy DA trigger pull means that an SP will never replace my GP for home, woods, and even winter carry. The GP is just easier to shoot than an SP. However, the SP is very quick on the draw and point-able, which may make a bigger difference at 3yds or less.

I bought my stainless GP for $390 used out the door. Similar deals happen for the SP. I'm sure you can find the same for used older Rugers and Smiths and I'm sure they're fine too. The good thing about the GP/SP, however, is you can buy used knowing that it probably isn't worn out even if you don't know what to look for. Finally, a double action can do anything a single action can do (unless DOA). Practicality doesn't make the SA decision, but if that's what you want...

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
shaffe48 said:
The GP has compact grips.
Yeah, but try and find them. :D :D :mrgreen:

Which is a travesty. Bought mine from Midway 4 years ago. Had matching inserts for SP/GP made from a gentlemen on here from PA. I've tried hogue grips that came with my GP and hogue wood grips for my SP. Hand wouldn't naturally get high enough on the backstrap on either. Didn't get why accuracy degraded with each firearm with IDPA until I dropped the hogue (literally! the wood grip broke when dropped 3 ft onto carpeting...all I want on a SD firearm). This might start an argument, but if it was up to me, they'd all come with the compact grips with wood inserts. Good looking, highly functional, tough, and give pretty much everyone enough to hold on to.