Which MK IV to purchase?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smackdab22

Bearcat
Hello,

I will be purchasing a MK IV Target in the very near future, just not sure which version to purchase. I was originally leaning toward the stainless steel version, but I do like the lighter weight of the blued version. I wonder if the aluminum grip frame the blued version is fitted with is durable. Does the blued version balance well? I would appreciate any opinions, good or bad, regarding both versions.

Thanks in advance....

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
The only thing to watch on the Aluminum is the grip screw holes. Softer metal so do not over tighten them or cross thread them, may strip them out.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Is seven ounces that important to you? Regarding durability, all the tough stuff happens in the barrel/receiver assembly, which has no aluminum in it. I have a 1972 Mark 1, which outweighs the Mark IV aluminum one, and I shoot it quite well, indeed. Down to brass tacks, you choose. For me, aluminum is less durable, finish-wise.

hittman

Staff member
There's no wrong answer ..... whatever YOU want is what's important.

For me, neither the weight and the aluminum part would be a concern. It's not a carry gun and there's darn little recoil with 22LR.

Personally I like BLUED guns best.

smackdab22

Bearcat
Thanks everyone...I appreciate the input.

A stout recoil and weight is something I need to keep in mind these days, I have arthritis in my wrists.

smackdab22

Bearcat
All the shops near me that I have stopped into say they can order them. One shop had them, blued and stainless target models, in stock last I knew. Not sure I answered your question.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Not sure how good a deal it is or if it is what you are looking for but CDNN Sports has the MKIV Target on sale for 389.99.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-mkivtm-target-22lr-5-5inch-bull-blue.html?___SID=U#.Xkdeqy2ZNTY

" I have arthritis in my wrists."

In that case you may want to look at the 22/45 version. I find the grip angle is actually easier on my stiff hand/wrist joints than the MK grip angle.

smackdab22 said:

A stout recoil and weight is something I need to keep in mind these days, I have arthritis in my wrists.
There is virtually no recoil with a. 22lr so that isn't an issue to be concerned with.

ifithitu

Single-Sixer
Busterswoodshop said:
Not sure how good a deal it is or if it is what you are looking for but CDNN Sports has the MKIV Target on sale for 389.99.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-mkivtm-target-22lr-5-5inch-bull-blue.html?___SID=U#.Xkdeqy2ZNTY
The link don't work.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
smackdab22 said:

I can sure relate to this statement, RA is not your friend!

chet15

Hawkeye
smackdab22 said:
Hello,

I will be purchasing a MK IV Target in the very near future, just not sure which version to purchase. I was originally leaning toward the stainless steel version, but I do like the lighter weight of the blued version. I wonder if the aluminum grip frame the blued version is fitted with is durable. Does the blued version balance well? I would appreciate any opinions, good or bad, regarding both versions.

Thanks in advance....

You might wait until their integrally suppressed MKIV hits the market.
Chet15