WHEW!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Last Monday Nita complained that our kitchen faucets were dripping. No problem, take the stems out, drive down to the hardware store and replace the washers, come home and reassemble.

So, today temperatures were supposed to be low eighties, so work in the yard. Mowed front and back yards, but before final edging and trimming, Nita said the faucets are now trickling out at a steady stream.

So, take the faucets out and the washers don't seem to be the problem. Back to the hardware store where I diagnose the problem as I see it. The inner barrels seem to be the problem. Back to the hardware store for the barrels. They don't have what I need, but recommend a plumbing supply store just down the road. There I find the barrels, which have the gasket factory installed, so must buy whole assembly. Solid brass, and at around $10 each, not too bad, so I get both hot and cold sides. Also while there I notice toilet seats, which we need replaced also. So leave the store with faucet parts and new toilet seat. ( New toilet is sort of brand new looking sort of like mother of pearl.)

Now a man wants to polish up my headlight lens, polishes one, against my protests, says he can have both done when I come out of the store, twenty bucks each side. I'm in a hurry, and don't have the money for that. Sure enough he does both headlights while I'm in the store. Again I tell him I don't want his service. I drive off with him gesturing and cussing standing in the street.

I get home and rebuild my kitchen faucets. When the water is turned on, NO DRIPS! Then into the bathroom and replace the toilet seat and lid. Hardest part of that job is getting to the bolts that hold the seat on the fixture.

Then a hot shower and kick back in the recliner. I'm a little tired, sort of ache a little, but squeaky clean and Nita is proud of me! What more could a man ask? Well, at least without mentioning Rugers.

Bob Wright

Armybrat

Buckeye
At least you didn't have to shoot the headlight polisher.

But I'd like to know what he used, as my wife's car needs some headlight lens polishing.

Cholo

Staff member
I'm glad you didn't kill the guy, Bob. I, too, feel really good when I get thru a day without killing someone. I wish I had more days like that.

I also feel really good when I tackle a plumbing job and it turns out well, after 3 trips to the hardware store. Sounds like you had a good day!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Armybrat said:

But I'd like to know what he used, as my wife's car needs some headlight lens polishing.

I really don't know what it was, but I suspect it contained Brasso or some similar compound with whiting in it.

Bob Wright

CGDustDevil

Buckeye
Good day's work Bob!! I love a productive day. Even that tired kinda wore out feeling in the evening.

The headlight guy should learn a lesson about contracts. ;)

Cholo

Staff member
Google/YouTube is your friend when it comes to clearing up headlights the right way. If you don't re-clear coat them it will not turn out well in the long run. Bob may still go after the guy. Stay tuned :shock:

737tdi

Hunter
Armybrat said:

Depends on how bad the lenses are and how much time you want to spend. If you just want to remove the yellowing quickly WD-40 works well but it will come back. When I have time I actually use different scotch brite pads on them with my little B&D Mouse sander using a combination of different polishing compounds. This works well and lasts about a year. Mothers makes a polish kit that I tried once and it worked OK but it comes with a final product application that is a UV protectorant.

Karl

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Thank you ever so much Bob, adding the color of the new toilet seat added so much more to your story.

NikA

Buckeye
On oxidized plastic headlight lenses, regular ATF usually works well to remove the dirt and clear up the lenses without removing any coatings that are still present. A tiny bit will go a long way, and if it's something you keep around, it's not hard to put them on the chore list every so often.

Bob, I am genuinely impressed as I have never had much success finding faucet parts at any store. It always seems that there are far too many proprietary parts for such a simple item. I have been buying faucets when they are on clearance at the hardware store and swapping them when they leak beyond the o-rings; of course, I salvage any good parts from the previous ones to repair the other identical units I have.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
NikA said:
On oxidized plastic headlight lenses, regular ATF usually works well to remove the dirt and clear up the lenses without removing any coatings that are still present. A tiny bit will go a long way, and if it's something you keep around, it's not hard to put them on the chore list every so often.

Bob, I am genuinely impressed as I have never had much success finding faucet parts at any store. It always seems that there are far too many proprietary parts for such a simple item. I have been buying faucets when they are on clearance at the hardware store and swapping them when they leak beyond the o-rings; of course, I salvage any good parts from the previous ones to repair the other identical units I have.

Yeah, I had to change the Kitchen sink faucet because I couldn't find the parts to repair it.

I called the plumber to fix my leaking bathtub faucet in my trailer. He Ended up replacing the whole unit so that I would have standard parts to buy in the future.
gramps

#1rugerman

Single-Sixer
About a week ago my wife said that the toilet in her bathroom was taking forever to fill after a flush. I checked it out, needed a new flush valve, i had one in the shed so I got to work replacing it. Now I have arthritis so easy stuff is not easy any more. Got the water supply nut off, the plastic nut that held the flush valve was next, limited access, tried channel lock pliers, could get the pliers on the nut but could not turn, slip joint pliers, same problem, went and found my basin wrench, again no go, vice grips finally got it off. Replaced the valve, checked for leaks, seemed good to go. got up off my arthritis knees and hobbled to my recliner. Told my wife to wait a while and check it again for leaks. Hour later honey there is water on the floor. Go back and tighten again. Second time was the charm. Hands and knees hurt for 3 days. Ain't home ownership great.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Thought for sure you were gonna say that the faucet seats were bad. I used to buy them by the dozen for our tub faucets. All others lasted till remodeling years later! As for the headlight lens cleaner, I just watched a video about spraying insect repellent on a cloth and then polishing the lens. Very mixed comments!

gunsmith11

Bearcat
Headlight lens polishing....I used Creamy Brasso and soft cotton cloth, took maybe 20 min. and cost under 5 Bucks. Note I said Creamy brasso not the regular stuff

Latest posts