Whats your favorite .380 carry rounds?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AZBru88

Bearcat
Just picked up a LCP today. I'm thinking Cor-Bon or Gold Dots. Need to take a trip to Tucson to pick some up. Did pick up some Remington JHP 100 pack for a whooping $60.00. Funny the FMJ was the same price as the JHP???? Been many years since I've owned a .380 so I will consider any advice.
By the way the LCP is a BUG for my G17 and G26. Just from the weight of the LCP I know it will be my first gun on in the morning and the last gun off at night. The thing feels like a feather. It really fits nice in my shirt pocket, but will be carried in a RCS Neck/Mercharness Holster from Malabar Front;
http://www.themalabarfront.com/index.php?cPath=82_97_116
Thanks in advance for the advice. Bru

AZBru88

Bearcat
:lol: Ya I agree. Just haven't kept up with the .380 and was wondering if there is anything else to consider.
On every other caliber I handload my own. My poor Ruger Super Redhawk! I just don't want to bother with .380. My 4 Dillon's already get abused!

Cholo

Staff member
Cor-Bons. Pricey but I feel worth it. Still looks like they're using a Gold Dot, but it's different from my older C-B GD's. I just got 4 20 rd. boxes in this week to check for function. I also got 2 boxes of Buffalo Bore's, one the GD and the other the hard cast lead. I'll save them for my NNA .380 as they're supposed to be even hotter than the Cor-Bons. I doubt they'll blow up the LCP but...

Both use Starline brass. The C-B's have that ring around the brass about 1/4 of the way down I still don't know what it's for unless for a little extra tension. The BB's don't have it in either configuration.

It's a pretty anemic caliber so I'll take all I can get. Buffalo Bore rapes you on shipping. Check out the size of the box the BB's come in. Both are 20 rd. boxes :shock:

The .380 is the only CF caliber I shoot that I don't reload.

380s004.jpg

380s003.jpg

A

Anonymous

I would feel pretty good with either the Co-Bon or Gold Dot. In fact, I'd feel better with just about any hollow point over regular ball ammo although I have my doubts about the WWB and Remington hp's in the large packs. They seem to be pretty much just ball with a hole in it, nothing high tech at all, but still probably a little better than ball.

AZBru88

Bearcat
Thanks Cholo, interested to see how the Buffalo Bore's shoot in your NAA. I saw Hickok45 shoot some the other day on Utube. In a 10mm or 40 cal. don't remember. Please drop me a line and let me know how you like them. Thanks again, Bru
PS My buddy shoots a .32 NAA sweet gun!

AZBru88

Bearcat
89 Grand I agree. The Remington I bought just to throw down the pipe to check functionality! Took the JHP because they where the same price as the ball. Painted my front bump (I mean sight :lol: :lol: ) and waiting on my holster and Crimson Trace now. So I have a couple days to pick up some carry ammo and check to make sure it agrees with the LCP. I know one gun store has Cor-Bon so I'll buy 4 boxes and give them a try. Might have to try some Buffalo's those do look hot! The size of the box does make laugh!

A

Anonymous

Oh yeah, I would have bought the hollow points too for the same price. If nothing else it's a good way to find out if your gun has feeding issues with blunt nose hp style bullets.

Cholo

Staff member
I'm interested in those BB's too and was going find out this weekend, but it's too nice to shoot. I'm going riding.

Last weekend I shot my LCP for the 1st time even though I've had it over 2 years. I was expecting a little bite and Fiocchi and Federals were so puny I'd be afraid to shoot a rat with them. The old Cor-Bons were more like it. Better keep an eye on where your brass lands with them! I'll probably reload the .380 some day.

"PS My buddy shoots a .32 NAA sweet gun!"

I have one and when the mini .380's came out, I havn't shot it since. I gave my oldest daughter a smooth .38 and it got stolen. Tried to give her my NAA .32 and she couldn't even pull the trigger. Oh, it too is loaded with Cor-Bons. Don't have much use for it anymore and it's not worth selling.

AZBru88

Bearcat
Ya Cholo, I was just on Montana Golds site, 95 grn JHP $97 per 1000, Dillon $65 for carbide dies. I have an extra powder measure and die plate. Have to check to see if I have the right shell plate $43 if I don't. Might have to brew up some myself. Didn't really want to go that way, but $60/100 I'll pay for the upgrade in 300 rounds! Have to look to see what brass is going for!
Enjoy your riding, this weather is hard to beat. Just starting to get warm! If the allergies weren't so bad! But I do love to see spring rain out here!

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Cholo, I doubt those buffalo bores are gold dots. Check closely.
A few months ago they were putting out some bullet and labeling
it gold dot. I think it was a sierra.
Definitely was not a GD sad to say.

And those Corbon JHP's are just as effective, so you are all set
in any event.

Cholo

Staff member
gatorhugger, you might be right. The Cor-Bon's are the same bullet as the BB; in these HP .380's anyway. I checked out the Speer Gold Dots on the net and they "look" the same.

AZBru88

Bearcat
Eric I talked to the guy at Wally World yesterday. He said its starting to come in a little at a time. I think they are finally catching up with some smaller calibers now. Its still hit and miss. He said the .380 goes out the same day they get it. But at least we can buy 9mm for $9.97/ 50 out here. That was very spotty 2-3 months ago. I have been able to find some 380 online but thats spotty too! Best of luck, hard to choke down .380 @ 3X the cost of 9mm, but it is, what it is! Hopefully soon they will all catch up!

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
yeah I can find any other caliber at wally world but no 380, going to have to go to a gun shop to probably get the 380 and pay up the yin yang as well.

AZBru88

Bearcat
Thanks proscene I really liked citybillys site! Love too see what each hollow point did to real meat! :lol: :lol: Great info, wondering if the BB isn't a little too hot for a LCP? Years ago my buddy had +P+ uzi 9mm rounds in his shop (submachine gun only, even had a black ring painted on it!), even with all the warning stickers two people still blow up their Glocks with it! Think I'll probably settle on some Cor-bon 90 grn. They had good results, and I've always liked Cor-bons rounds for defense. The Glaser PowRball looks interesting also!!!!! I know they are expensive!

Your first link wouldn't work. But thanks again for all the info. Great stuff! I didn't want to but might have to reload my own.

Cholo

Staff member
Great read proscene! I know the .380 is anemic, but it beats harsh language. I'm beginnig to wonder if the Buffalo Bore 100 gr. hardcast flat nose is the way to go. They "claim" incredible penetration which is both good and bad. I believe my NAA can handle them, but my plastic LCP? I don't think I'll try :(

I still wonder if the C-B's and BB's use Speer's Gold Dots. They sure do look the same. I also believe a bullet is designed to work best in a certain velocity range. Exceed that and you get diminishing returns.

Let's see if this link works for the 1st one:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/380ACP.html

Cholo

Staff member
gatorhugger, I just got to reading a flyer sent in my Buffalo Bore ammo order. They are using Gold Dots and they're the same bullet as the Cor-Bons. They're not the same as the older .380 Gold Dots.