What's the highest ripoff price you've seen for 22 ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cellar701 said:
+3...

Blume, please do us a favor and back out of that "deal". A simple "oops, did my math wrong so need to pass on the deal - Sorry!!" should suffice. JMHO.

I thought about doing that over the weekend but you know what.... I sent the money today.... Only because I can afford the 90-100 mistake I made and every time someone has changed their mind on something I was offering I got a bad taste in my mouth.

6gun

Hunter
blume357 said:
cellar701 said:
+3...

Blume, please do us a favor and back out of that "deal". A simple "oops, did my math wrong so need to pass on the deal - Sorry!!" should suffice. JMHO.

I thought about doing that over the weekend but you know what.... I sent the money today.... Only because I can afford the 90-100 mistake I made and every time someone has changed their mind on something I was offering I got a bad taste in my mouth.

Your a man of honor Blume, if the seller had any honor he would send at least half your money back with the ammo and apologize if he has any honesty left to him, either way it will tell us what kind of person he is, keep us informed when you get the ammo ok?

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
Local auction, a carton Winchester Wildcats, one carton of Remington Thunder bolts, offered at auction by the 50 round box. When the smoke cleared, the successful bidder bid $18.00 a box. or $180.00 per carton and he took both cartons. 1,000 rounds, $360.00. I have 11,000 rounds, I could have sold some for that. Overloadded

DGW1949

Hunter
blume357 said:
cellar701 said:
+3...

Doing that showed you to be a man of your word. It also tells everyone who watched the sale unfold that your principles aint for sale,.....which if ya ask me, is something that world could use a lot more of.

So, good on you.

DGW

CraigC

Hawkeye
6gun said:
...when someone uses the classifieds to scalp, gouge and take advantage of others they need to stopped...
That's liberal thinking. A free market means that YOU are free to ask any price YOU wish for YOUR property. Just as the potential consumer is free to accept and pay the price or walk away. Just as no one is forced to buy anything at a price they deem unacceptable, no one should be forced to sell THEIR property at a price they deem unacceptable. Who gets to decide what is a fair price for an individual's personal property? Does anybody really follow this flawed thinking to its logical conclusion?

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
i would love it if the ammo shortage stopped i a split second and these pigs would be stuck with a ton of ammo and would be forced to sell at a loss.

Ammo has been shipped... keep in mind it probably cost 20 dollars or more to ship the stuff.... I kind of got reamed with a karma I offered last year like this..... A friend gave me 5 boxes of Super 38 ammo of which I had no use and so decided to pass it on here.... then for some reason so many folks made good comments during the karma I decided to divide up the karma and gave it away to 4 different folks.... $18 bucks shipping for each...

I'm thinking what I will do with this ammo is pack it all up in a zip lock bag and put it on display in my office for a while.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
I only look at WalMart, so...normal prices.

I missed the motherload at WM this morning. Was going to go in early, opted out when my alarm rang. Found myself in town at 1000am, and found that they had had SIX 1000-rd boxes and TWENTY 525packs that morning. The last one sold 10 minutes before I walked up....

CraigC said:
6gun said:
...when someone uses the classifieds to scalp, gouge and take advantage of others they need to stopped...
That's liberal thinking. A free market means that YOU are free to ask any price YOU wish for YOUR property. Just as the potential consumer is free to accept and pay the price or walk away. Just as no one is forced to buy anything at a price they deem unacceptable, no one should be forced to sell THEIR property at a price they deem unacceptable. Who gets to decide what is a fair price for an individual's personal property? Does anybody really follow this flawed thinking to its logical conclusion?

I agree one hundred percent.... I said: "I'd take it" and so that is on me. I can blame it on not having had my second cup of coffee or Obama but in the end it is all on me....

but then one of my favorite jokes / sayings is when someone complains about the weather or some other thing that is really not controllable... my answer is: "You know the Government should really do something about that....."

Opusnbill7

Bearcat
$99.95 for a box of Winchester 555 (white box not black box) at a local pawn shop. When I called them on it, they said "that's 15% more than we buy it at, we can't get it through our suppliers so we have to buy it online so we have some available for those who want it." Of course, I already knew they were greedy, so frankly, I hope they choke on it, although being a pawn shop they'll never even notice the $ loss I'm sure.

CraigC

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
I agree one hundred percent.... I said: "I'd take it" and so that is on me. I can blame it on not having had my second cup of coffee or Obama but in the end it is all on me....
It happens to everybody every once in a while. Does kinda make it hard to shoot `em all up though. :wink:

I live up in Alaska so everything is pretty expensive up here especially to ship ammo. Shipping is almost as the cost of the ammo. As far as .22lr ammo, at my local Sportsmans Warehouse, when they do get .22lr in, a bulk box of Golden Bullets will sell for $26.00 and a box of 100 CCI Mini Mags will sell for $9.00. Now, for someone who is scalping .22lr up here, a box of any 500 round bulk box of .22lr, I've seen people selling them anywhere between $70.00 and up to $120.00!

If the pawn shop mentioned above is only marking their ammo up 15% then they are not scalping or gouging anybody.... and on top of that not making money (a profit). I think most folks (laymen) don't understand the markup and how much a business needs to make to stay in business.

tunnug

Single-Sixer
At the height of the nonsense I was at a gun show and pointed out a brick of Federal 550 with a price tag of $199 to my buddy, we both started laughing loud enough that the owner heard and gave us a glare, same stuff wally sells for 19.95 (when they have it).

bobster

Bearcat
I was at Sportsman WH last thursday. Primers 1000 for 34.95 22 CCI 100 pack for 6.99. 2 guys were fighting over the last 3. kinda funny watching grown men fight over 22 shells.

Opusnbill7

Bearcat
blume357 said:
If the pawn shop mentioned above is only marking their ammo up 15% then they are not scalping or gouging anybody.... and on top of that not making money (a profit). I think most folks (laymen) don't understand the markup and how much a business needs to make to stay in business.

I understand that, except that by paying that price to the people online, they're only making it worse for all of us. Then, expecting to make their 15%... Just bad all around. I don't begrudge them making a profit, but these are the times when you learn who you want to support when things are better, and who you won't...

CraigC

Hawkeye
If someone is willing to pay 10x what something is worth, it's their own damned business. Better for somebody who actually needs something to get it, even at inflated prices than for the hoarders to keep hoarding it all. Folks might not like "price gouging" but it discourages hoarding and it's the hoarders that deserve your hostility.

Opusnbill7

Bearcat
Completely and totally disagree. If you're buying it for your own use, then I don't care if you have 100 rounds or 100,000 rounds. If someone wants to turn around and make a profit, however, then don't do it by depriving others of the opportunity to get the same product just because someone is available to "camp out" at walmart or grease the palms of the sporting goods dept manager. Those expecting the casual shooter to have to turn around and pay a premium to be able to practice their sport so someone else can make a gross profit are where the hostility belongs. This "crisis" would have been over a long time ago if it wasn't for the speculation by various people trying to make a buck. The hoarders have all they need by now. Frankly, I hope the price drops through the floor soon just to watch them squirm. It's already starting to happen with some firearms, if you watch armslist and gunbroker.