What year was the first Bisley produced?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sub sailor

Bearcat
I have recently been growing more and more infatuated with any revolver that has the Bisley grip frame, a single six being my most recent acquisition. So I was wondering, what was the first Ruger Bisley revolver produced and when did it happen? If anyone has any other interesting Bisley information to share, I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

B

B

Sapo

Single-Sixer
1985?? Skeeter wrote of the Bisley's arrival.
Reread your post.
Bisleys were originally produced in all Blackhawk calibers of the day, IIRC, with 7.5" barrels. Old catalogs could confirm. Unpopular calibers were dropped from the catalog.
Bisley Vaqueros came much later with more barrel lengths offered.
Stnls, shorter barrels, convertibles were commissioned by distributors like Williams, Sports South?? Can't remember all the names.

I bought the first one I found in the 90s, a 7.5" blue 45 Colt. The most recent, 5.5" 44 special flattop.
Sapo

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
I remember my LGS had a pair of Bisley revolvers in the display case when they first came out - wouldn't sell. The owner offered me the PAIR for $300! One was a fixed-sight .22 and the other was a .44.

I shot a nice buck with that .44 using a Hornady 265 grain FP bullet. It was my first deer with a handgun. As a side-note, I walked up on that buck too quickly in my excitement. It got back up and nearly gored me. Thankfully I had the Bisley in hand and made a quick follow-up shot as I dove for cover behind a nearby oak.

The .22 was a tack-driver - spot-on for point of aim. Great fun and memories!

Sorry to say I sold them both for a foolish profit. Should have . . . could have . . . kept 'em. Sigh.

Both were so comfortable to shoot! Been a Bisley fan ever since.