What causes this

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rupert

Bearcat
My om flattop has this "plum " color on the frame,(see pic),ive been told cheap bluing solutions,wrong heat treat,been in a fire etc ect

Attachments

• F667E84A-11B8-4811-B9DE-13B4AA7E201D.jpeg
    F667E84A-11B8-4811-B9DE-13B4AA7E201D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 111

eveled

Hawkeye
Its like a colorful sunset, it doesn't happen everytime, but when it does happen, enjoy the magic.

That's a nice old revolver.

welcome to the Forum...normally a red ( plum) color of regular steel used in guns IS indeed a sign of an improper temperature in the bluing process, in the case of Winchester guns from LONG ago that were using "nickel steel" they too would or could turn "reddish" or plum when reblued as Winchester did their process much higher temps and longer so it did NOT turn "plum", along comes Ruger and the FACT that they used "castings" for most of their parts and these castings were made up of a 4140 chrome -moly steel, good for use in firearms....BUT the issue was improper mixing of the "batch" of the alloy make up, so if not mixed or improper amounts of various metal additives, the blue would NOT take, maybe get "lightening streaks in and near the surface, as any metallurgist knows some of the metals do NOT blue ( oxidize) well so stay "clear, or lighter color ,usually reddish.....Ruger collectors have liked'; ( some loved) this anomoly,BUT other gun people frowned on it as they felt it was "wrong" defective, and they are right,,,same also goes for guns that were "seconds" of Ruger, and forwhatever reason "why" if returned, found to be defective, they were stamped with the letter "S"....again, a Ruger collectors "love" and the chase to find one of these guns as it is indeed a "variation" and is rare to come across,BUT a love to collect "defects"??? go figure, it is a bit odd and strange.....the search goes on...;)

BY the way there are letter "S" used on Ruger cylinders as a "proof mark" that the gun was "proof tested ( fired) so this "S", is NOT the rare marked type.....all part of Ruger lore and can be found in the many different books written by Ruger collectors and enthusiast over the years....my knowing of and having to deal with the "bluing " process is I have owned 3 different shops over the years, and we refinished/restored firearms , since the early 1970s ( Cleveland Bluing Co.,),,,,and the "batch" information comes from my friend Jim Hoobler who was, years ago the man who ran their casting plant ( Pinetree castings),,,then onto doing the Titanium castings for Ruger and now retired, bless his heart ,,,,,last saw him in Tulsa years ago......hope this helps .... Happy New Year........:cool:;)(y)

moparclan

Single-Sixer
I have 1957 and 1958 Flattops in .357 that the loading gate has turned plum, would like to have one with a plum frame like yours.
Not a Ruger but also have an older Stoeger Luger in .22 cal. that did turn also.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Some firearms can turn plum naturally over many years/decades of time or it can be done by "cold bluing" which was done to a Winchester Sporting Rifle I picked up, mostly to the nickel iron barrel. There is one small spot where it flaked off. The receiver did not get the same treatment.