What are you paying for primers ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
At the gun show yesterday CCI primers went from about $80-120. On the way home I stopped in Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA and here are their prices. I rarely use magnum primers for handgun ammo, but I had no idea they cost much more than standard primers.

I have one brick of CCI #550 small pistol magnum primers I bought probably in the 70's. Obviously I don't load too many magnum velocity .357's LOL

GasGuzzler

Hunter
That's stupid.
Some Academy stores have primers.
Some Walmart stores have primers.
I'm in the country compared to the MetroMess but the Academy is in Mini-Austin (Denton) and Walmart is a farce.

Cholo

Staff member
That's stupid.
Some Academy stores have primers.
Some Walmart stores have primers.
I'm in the country compared to the MetroMess but the Academy is in Mini-Austin (Denton) and Walmart is a farce.
Yet, you have no concrete prices. Why?

All I hear out of you is blah blah blah...

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Yet, you have no concrete prices. Why?

All I hear out of you is blah blah blah...
Not very intuitive, huh?

I doubt you tried to decipher what I said was stupid...which is $90 per 1K.

The next point I made that you missed is that there are no stores close to me, some Walmart stores actually sell primers (but not the ones close to here), and Academy is 45 minutes (two directions) with rip off prices like shown.

Many examples of $69 per 1K and that's still too much. Why do you expect me to shop for you? I don't need to pay that much for them and those that do are keeping the prices up.

Not hard to understand.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I've still got primers I bought about a dozen years ago that I paid under $ 20 per thousand.
Reloading economics kind of go out the window at current primer prices.
Other components have slowly come back down in price but primers are REALLY slowly dropping.

dannyd

Hunter
I've still got primers I bought about a dozen years ago that I paid under $ 20 per thousand.
Reloading economics kind of go out the window at current primer prices.
Other components have slowly come back down in price but primers are REALLY slowly dropping.
It's still cheaper to load 38/357 with primers at 100.00 thousand than buy store ammunition. Shot 12,196 rounds this year, so I never have any old primers laying around. ;)

Cyrus

Single-Sixer
9mm might not be worth loading at $12.00 box but most other cartridges are even at inflated primer prices. I've been buying primers for the past quarter century and always bought more than I use so I'm ok. I also choose to not send 200 plus rounds down range in a day any longer. This is a marathon, not a sprint at this point. With that said, I've found that my new comfort zone is $60-$65/1000 and if prices get there again I'll likely grab a bit more. If that gets some angry that I'm part of the problem then so be it. We have ZERO idea what the future holds so to not have primers to last me into retirement when all I look forward to is shooting is not part of my plan.

Last edited:
The last primers I bought came from Graf and Sons invoice dated 7/13/2013. 12000 small rifle primers cost $285 and 12000 small pistol primers cost $245. Shipping cost around $45. I have 5000 of the pistol primers left but don't know if or how many rifle primers are left. I do know there are several 5 gallon buckets of primed .223 brass awaiting charge and seat. :)

dannyd

Hunter
The last primers I bought came from Graf and Sons invoice dated 7/13/2013. 12000 small rifle primers cost $285 and 12000 small pistol primers cost $245. Shipping cost around $45. I have 5000 of the pistol primers left but don't know if or how many rifle primers are left. I do know there are several 5 gallon buckets of primed .223 brass awaiting charge and seat. :)
I probably traveled to St. Louis a couple dozen times always wished I had stop by Midway and Graf and Sons. :)

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Primers are still spendy in Northern Nevada, small rifle/pistol are 90.00 per k and I have not seen large rifle/pistol in probably 2 years for less than 130.00 per k.
The gun stores here are terrible for jacking prices up.
I think Scheels in Reno is much more reasonable but I have what I need and don't blast my ammo like I used to but when I see prices fall again if ever I will replenish my supply.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
The problem is Johnnu2, if one is caught short at this point (and they shouldn't be short as they should have stocked up over the last three years any way they could) there may not be primers for sale in the near future. What should one do in that situation? You grit your teeth and pay the price. Turn your paper cash into real assets and hope for the best in the future. If I didn't have a comfortable supply of primers (and I do) I'd be getting serious about now in unloading the checkbook and loading up on primers regardless of the cost. A bird in the hand kind of thinking.

At the gun show yesterday CCI primers went from about $80-120. On the way home I stopped in Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA and here are their prices. I rarely use magnum primers for handgun ammo, but I had no idea they cost much more than standard primers...

Guess I got lucky at a gunshow last month - found 400 CCI magnum small pistol primers for $6 per tray. I use Lee Auto Prime tools so I like CCI!
:)

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Primers are still spendy in Northern Nevada, small rifle/pistol are 90.00 per k and I have not seen large rifle/pistol in probably 2 years for less than 130.00 per k.
The gun stores here are terrible for jacking prices up.
I think Scheels in Reno is much more reasonable but I have what I need and don't blast my ammo like I used to but when I see prices fall again if ever I will replenish my supply.

Update!
I just bought a brick of cci #250 primers at Cal Ranch today for 60.00. Maybe its a sign of better times in the reloading world.

Latest posts