What a Let down Mark III

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ACM73

Bearcat
Take a look into replacing the magazine disconnect by putting either a mark II bushing or one from Sam Lam in there. It will make the assembly/disassembly process a little smoother and will also help your trigger pull.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
These guns are a little particular about the breakdown and reassembly but they're dependable firearms to have and to work on. Take some time and practice a few tear downs and you shouldn't have any more troubles with it. Now if you haven't already, it's time to go out and run some rounds through it.

R,
Bullseye

I agree with ACM7, swap out the mag disconnect and replace with the bushing.
Advantages are; easier to disassemle, better trigger, and magazines will shoot out when released instead of just sticking out a little ways.

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner said:
I agree with ACM7, swap out the mag disconnect and replace with the bushing.
Advantages are; easier to disassemble, better trigger, and magazines will shoot out when released instead of just sticking out a little ways.
I will check them out thanks every one for listing to me whine :roll: sorry i just had to vent and thanks again for helping me out :D

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
D_Gunner said:
This video here this guys full of it there is no way he can do this the firs time with out a mallet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fIYIWK0boo

Hi,

A small plastic mallet and a piece of hardwood dowel to be used as a punch are what a former coworker--pistolsmith and later salesman in a gunshop before retiring--smilingly called a "Ruger tool." Different diameter dowels may be useful: one for the bolt stop on your Mk III, a larger one for knocking brass out of rough chambered SA's, etc. Mine have gotten a lot of use!

As others have said, field stripping gets easier as the gun's broken in, but this is still a good "tool" to keep in the kit regardless of how many rounds have gone thru the gun... some days that hammer strut ass'y almost falls out of my Mk II, other days it still needs a bit of "persuasion" from the dowel rod. And that's after many 1000's of rounds...

Good luck!

Rick C

dsm451

Bearcat
I started worrying after I had bought my Mark III 22/45 and read the reviews that talk about what a nightmare it was to disassemble and reassemble. The guys are right when they say you'll get the hang of it. I'm not very handy, and I've owned my first two pistols less than a month. The first time I field stripped it, and cleaned it, it took a couple of hours, maybe more. I did it a second time this weekend. Took 1 minute to field strip it, and then an hour to clean it and reassemble it. Cleaning the nasty, gritty, grease out of every nook and cranny this new gun came with from the factory, took the most time.

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
Mine brand new was loaded and really over oiled .I think doing the disassembly and Assembly of the gun has to be done in the exact sequence as stated every time,

Well, when you are absolutely disgusted and dismayed with the gun you just bought, I think you can be excused.

welcome to the wonderful world of the MKIII... I think it took me something like 2 hours to get mine back together the first time, and this is before I ever shot it.

It got better after the next two times... but I still have to follow the instructions in the manual exactly. Most difficult gun to take down and put back together I own. With that said, I love the pistol and I've also learned that you can fire a couple thousand rounds through it with out having to start thinking about cleaning...

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
It has to be the toughest one to learn on field stipping i did it today with out the use of any tools :mrgreen:

Black Pearl

Bearcat
One thing I found by trial and error was that when reattaching the reciever to the lower it HAS to be in just the right spot ( Sweet Spot ) in order for the manspring assembly to be placed in its proper position. If it is not and it (mainspring assembly) is tapped on with a block of wood you are moveing the upper reciever in one direction or the other in order to find the sweet spot. I found it much less frustrating to just tap the upper in on direction or the other and retry inserting the mainspring assembly. It should pop right in with a minimun of effort. I often wondered why a clear line could not be scored on the upper and lower when the sweet spot was found so a person does not have to go through this struggle over and over again. Just my 2 cents.

bobbyjack

Bearcat
It sounds as if it might be youre first Ruger Auto , and Ruger and other

Semi-autos have a very spesific way that they need to go together.

Many have bought a MK 1 or such and have had to have help putting it back

together again !Bob

JB696

Bearcat
I laugh whenever I read one of these threads. The only reason to take apart a Mark series pistol is to replace a broken part. Solvent and the usual assortment of brushes is all that is required to do a proper cleaning. As I have posted many times before, I purchased a Mark I from an old gentlemen which had by his count at least 50,000 rounds through it. He purchased it new, used it himself, and it also served as a gun range rental unit. It had only been taken apart once in it's lifetime to replace a broken spring. When I got it there was some slight carbon buildup on the bolt. But the gun performed flawlessly. I don't plan on taking it apart again for another 50,000 rounds. You "field stripping" guys really crack me up. :roll:

car

Bearcat
JB696, I guess I have to agree with you. I think more Ruger Mk series pistols have been ruined by needless disassembly and improper reassembly rather than being shot out. I have seen some people that take their Mk's down every 50 rounds, it's just not needed.

Guns that get taken apart alot usually start to get a sloppy barrel to receiver fit as well.

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
JB696 said:
I laugh whenever I read one of these threads. The only reason to take apart a Mark series pistol is to replace a broken part. Solvent and the usual assortment of brushes is all that is required to do a proper cleaning. As I have posted many times before, I purchased a Mark I from an old gentlemen which had by his count at least 50,000 rounds through it. He purchased it new, used it himself, and it also served as a gun range rental unit. It had only been taken apart once in it's lifetime to replace a broken spring. When I got it there was some slight carbon buildup on the bolt. But the gun performed flawlessly. I don't plan on taking it apart again for another 50,000 rounds. You "field stripping" guys really crack me up. :roll:
Good Luck On That One