What .22 pistol should I get

Help Support Ruger Forum:

acman

Bearcat
In a couple of months I hope to be getting my first handgun, it needs to be a .22. My price range is $600 or less and it HAS to be a Ruger. I have been looking at a new Single six convertible and a new mark III 22/45 bull barrel. I was wondering which would be a better pistol for hunting rabbit and squirrel, target practice, and varmint control. My father got a 22/45 mark II right after 9/11 and I have fired it before and I love it. If there is any other ruger .22 I would be open to that, lets here some pros and cons.

Jim Puke

Hunter
If your father has the 22/45...get the single six, that way you can experience both as both are great guns.

acman

Bearcat
I have heard from a couple of people not to get the convertible because it would not be as accurate, is there any truth to this or is it only on older convertibles.

Jim Puke

Hunter
acman said:
I have heard from a couple of people not to get the convertible because it would not be as accurate, is there any truth to this or is it only on older convertibles.

They are plenty accurate...probably more accurate than you will be.

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
First gun I ever bought was a Ruger Single Six, Liberty model back in 1976. After many years of hard use I sent it back to Ruger for a reblue:

Buy the Single Six, you'll never regret it.

Jim

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
I will also suggest you get the Single-Six. First, it'll be YOUR first handgun. By learning on a revolver, you will not fall into the "trap" of rapid fire that a semi-auto can do to make up for a bad first shot. You mentioned using it for multiple things, and the convertible will do all of that & more.
They are simple to operate, plenty accurate, and almost fool-proof. Not as many moving parts, easy to take apart & clean, and in general, a much better gun to learn on. And, one of these days, you may inherit that 22/45 from your father. (Or, you can buy one of those yourself later on.)
With a budget of $600,,, you can easily shop around & find one well under that price.
PLEASE take the time to learn about handguns, and get PROPER instruction on grip, stance, sight alignment, and focus. Learning properly the first time, will keep you from developing incorrect shooting habits that are hard to break. (Don't ask me how I know about that!)
If you are anywhere near Western NC, I'd be GLAD to offer my help.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
Another vote for the Single-Six. As a matter of fact I'm going to pick up a "new" one this afternoon. While I like the Ruger automatics, I'm a revolver guy at heart.

I think the "accuracy problem" so often spoken of with the convertable Single-Sixs is VASTLY overstated, and may be more in theory than practice. I know I've never had any problem rolling around a tin can, or a pine cone with the ones I've owned.

eveled

Hawkeye
I'd get a stainless single six. But the MKII's, and SP101's are nice too. These three go to the range a lot with me. The single six is my favorite, and seems to be the one most people I take shooting enjoy the most. Ed

liamscurls014.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I'd also recommend one of the revolvers for reasons already stated. Revolvers are also a lot less picky about ammo. Many semi-auto's have feed, cycling, or extract problems if you try to use some brands or low-velocity ammo, etc. Not all .22lr is equal. That is not a problem with revolvers. And, it's not like it will be the only one you eventually buy. :)

moranna

Bearcat
I agree with the revolver for a first gun. I have a Mark I, Mark III 22/45 and the Single Six and love them all but if had to choose just one it would be the Single Six.

Another option to consider is the Single 10.

acman

Bearcat
Thanks everyone, im new to the forum but thankfully not new to Ruger. When I purchase the single six what would a good field holster be. I want something that will last a long time but not break the bank. Thanks.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
If I were you, I would go to a shop and handle a Single Six as well as one of the new SP101s. Or better yet, find a way to shoot one of each before buying anything. Some people have a distinct preference for one grip style over the other.

But one thing is for sure. If you buy either one, shoot it a million times, and decide you don't like it...you will still be able to sell it for a decent price. You really can't get hurt either way.

SR

Go with a semi-auto... II or III... with your budget you can go top of the line and also invest in 6 or more extra magazines to go with it....

I have a single six convertible and to be honest I'm not a fan.... is not that accurate, could just be the one I have, but on top of that .... it is a difficult single action revolver to load and unload... because of the small cartridges.... MK III all stainless steel target or hunter is the way I would go.

My MK III target is always in my range bag.

acman

Bearcat
Which is more accurate, the fiber optic or non-fiber optic. I would think the fiber optic one would be but Im concerned with the fact that it might not perform well with a holster. Also is the Mark series or 22/45 series picky on any type of ammo. I usually use Remington golden, Remington thunder bolt, and Winchester Super X in my 597 rifle and 39a rifle. My father mainly uses Winchester's in his 22/45 but due to shortage uses some of my Remington.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
acman said:
Which is more accurate, the fiber optic or non-fiber optic. I would think the fiber optic one would be but Im concerned with the fact that it might not perform well with a holster. Also is the Mark series or 22/45 series picky on any type of ammo. I usually use Remington golden, Remington thunder bolt, and Winchester Super X in my 597 rifle and 39a rifle. My father mainly uses Winchester's in his 22/45 but due to shortage uses some of my Remington.

Watch this video about being accurate with a pistol. It's all about sight picture and trigger. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=196688

Since I already have, I'll just point out I disagree with Wayno on what you should choose.... you can't beat a MK III target and I firmly believe mine will out shoot any single six out there... then again it does have 4 more rounds ..... I've put several different optics on mine but what I really like is fiber optic sights .... I think they were made by Williams but I'm not really sure. No different than the factory iron sights and should not cause a problem with a holster. ....

As for ammo... CCI mini mags or something close in CCI would be my first choice, followed by Federal Champions.... which are the same as the Walmart... federal bulks, if you can find them.

6gun

Hunter
I find shooting a 22 revolver to be very boring and more trouble to load and unload than it's worth, the SR22 is a fun pistol to shoot and very accurate. :D

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
acman said:
I was wondering which would be a better pistol for hunting rabbit and squirrel, target practice, and varmint control.

The order might be:
Target practice
more target practice
shoot at sitting rabbits
more target practice
some more target practice
shoot at some squirrels
more target practice
then there's
varmint control...... coyotes? fox? raccoon?
something besides a 22 pistol....they aren't going to stand at 20 feet and look at you. :wink: