What .22 pistol should I get

Help Support Ruger Forum:

shatolang

Bearcat
If you wanna train with an auto id suggest that 22/45 or mark iii. I personally think the sp101 in 22lr is the best trainer and most fun 22lr for me. The fiber optic or non i feel is personal preference. I prefer the fiber optic on my pistols and plain irons on my rifles but thats just me. Hold a few or shoot a couple of your buddy's, then decide.

Buckhorn150

Bearcat
Go to your local shop and hold each one.Pick the one that talks to you.You'll know the one after holding both of them.

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
I'd also recommend one of the revolvers for reasons already stated. Revolvers are also a lot less picky about ammo. Many semi-auto's have feed, cycling, or extract problems if you try to use some brands or low-velocity ammo, etc. Not all .22lr is equal. That is not a problem with revolvers. And, it's not like it will be the only one you eventually buy. :)

Get both .... why ? better stated this way ... "Why not" .... LOL !

I must say that I have done 3 things to my Mark III 22/45 and since then I have had ZERO failure's to feed, fire, and eject.

1.) I took out all the Mag-Disconnect parts and put in a MK II hammer bushing, it might be my imagination, but I swear it helped with feed issues, also doing this Mod allows Mag's to slide right in and "Click" with less effort and fall to the ground upon release. And last, it helps with dis-assembly / re-assembly no longer requiring a mag to be used in the process.

2.) I put about 300 rounds threw my 22/45, then looked at the wear marks on the bolt and polished those areas with Flitz Polish using a Dremel and a cloth wheel. Spread a few drops of light gun-oil on the bolt, put her together and now it operates buttery smooth.

3.) I installed this VQ Kit >>> https://www.volquartsen.com/products/1067-bolt-tune-up-kit-for-mki-mkii-and-mkiii <<< The firing pin is hardened much more then the factory one and is .004 wider. The extractor is also hardened and is .005 closer to the rim of the round and has crisp right angles, all of which the factory does not, I realize these tolerances are small, but for some crazy reason they make a huge difference.

Hence, as I said: I have had ZERO failure's to feed, fire, and eject. Either way .... revolver or semi-auto they're fun to shoot, I just like a semi-auto better

Peace out and Godspeed - Karl

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
6gun said:
I find shooting a 22 revolver to be very boring and more trouble to load and unload than it's worth, the SR22 is a fun pistol to shoot and very accurate. :D

The SR22 is a distant third in accuracy compared to a Single Six or Mk XX. Fun to shoot..yes.

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
acman said:
Which is more accurate, the fiber optic or non-fiber optic. I would think the fiber optic one would be but Im concerned with the fact that it might not perform well with a holster. Also is the Mark series or 22/45 series picky on any type of ammo. I usually use Remington golden, Remington thunder bolt, and Winchester Super X in my 597 rifle and 39a rifle. My father mainly uses Winchester's in his 22/45 but due to shortage uses some of my Remington.

Watch this video about being accurate with a pistol. It's all about sight picture and trigger. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=196688

My son and his friend laughed at me when I said I could hit a paper-person silhouette 6 out'a 10 at 140 yards in a prone position with my 5 inch MK III 22/45 while they were shooting their AR-15's .... Lucky me I got 7 out'a 10. When will my kid learn to stop doubting us experienced old-guys ?

Most .22 pistols are accurate, cheap to shoot, especially the Ruger Mark Series ... More fun then any woman can provide ... LOL !

6gun

Hunter
ArmedinAZ said:
6gun said:
I find shooting a 22 revolver to be very boring and more trouble to load and unload than it's worth, the SR22 is a fun pistol to shoot and very accurate. :D

The SR22 is a distant third in accuracy compared to a Single Six or Mk XX. Fun to shoot..yes.

All depends on who's hands it's in how accurate it's going to shoot. :wink:

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
6gun said:
ArmedinAZ said:
6gun said:

All depends on who's hands it's in how accurate it's going to shoot. :wink:

We agree on that 100%. I own 2 of the 3 and have shot the other (SR22). I'll bet in your hand the SR22 comes in third for accuracy. We also agree on how tedious it is loading/unloading the SS. Love that trigger though.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Revolver shooters prefer revolvers, auto guys prefer autos. You need to try out several of each before you decide. Me I prefer autos to shoot yet love the classic looks of revolvers. I have had numerous Target .22 revolvers and while I loved their looks never shot them as well as autos. Accuracy wise I find autos to be more accurate. Plus there's a reason olympic and most competitive shooter shoot autos. But whatever you get to be proficient you have to do a lot of practicing. On sights I find fiber optic is good for speed shooting but not as good for fine accuracy. To me the fiber optic draws to much attention away from the target while focusing on target. This is a pic of my KMK678G fired from bench at 35 yds with factory iron sights. Love this gun. I have it sighted in a 50yds to shoot steel and it's a blast. At 600$ you can buy an nice target auto and can pick up a good used VQ or Clark MKII or MKIII.

Here's my $600 used VQ.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I would vote for the Single Six. I bought one back in 1977. They would put the hurt to a small ground squirrel, squirrel, or skunk type critter and the 22 mag can put the hurt on larger critters. Mine is above a single six I bought a couple years ago with the Bisley grips. It is .22 only. The grips on the Single Six convertible have gotten darker after many years of use by the way.

Not saying the Ruger .22 autos are bad. I have Ruger MkI, MkII, and MkIIIs going back to the 1970s and they are a nice .22 pistol.

As for accuracy, my one single six is terrible.... the MKIII I bought new I used in a metal silloette shoot.... this is where the targets are 15 - 100 yards away.... I could hit the 'ram' target at the 100 yard line about every other shot in what I call the reverse prone position.... the Ram target is probably about 6" and the reverse prone is laying on your back holding your head up with one arm and using the side of your leg to steady the pistol. At least that's how I remember it.

I'll add another vote for either revolver - the single six (or single Ten) or the new 8-shot SP101 that comes with the hi-viz sights. I'll eventually get around to owning at least 2 of these 3, but for now just make do with my S&W Model 22A - it isn't pretty, but shoots pretty well.

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
As for accuracy, my one single six is terrible.... the MKIII I bought new I used in a metal silloette shoot.... this is where the targets are 15 - 100 yards away.... I could hit the 'ram' target at the 100 yard line about every other shot in what I call the reverse prone position.... the Ram target is probably about 6" and the reverse prone is laying on your back holding your head up with one arm and using the side of your leg to steady the pistol. At least that's how I remember it.

Sounds like a hoot ....

If you want a gun that will put 10 shots in a hole you can cover with a silver dollar at 25 yards then go with the MK III Target or a 22/45. If you plan or taking out a squirrel at the same distance then the Single Six will get it done and, in my opinion, is more 'fun' to shoot. Also remember that the gun; whichever you choose, is only as accurate as the person shooting it.

BradB

Bearcat
Whatever you choose will be ok, but I can tell you why I like Ruger single action 22 revolvers so much.

They shoot real well with cheap all lead ammo. They're plenty easy to clean after the shooting session but during shooting you have no worries about waxed up lead deposits potentially affecting how the gun works. I also find the standard ammo to be more accurate than fancy stuff like CCI stingers. You can shoot and shoot more and more and cheap and dirty works just fine.

The single action guns are pretty much the safest in using because your not going to "cock it" until your ready to fire anyway. Should you ever accidently touch the trigger while the thing is say "pointed at your foot", it won't be in a cocked position so by default nothing bad happens. It isn't that big of a deal but automatics do take a little more learned attentive handling and even "learned" individuals can make a mistake. So its nice owning things where the safety in workings is built right in. The revolver isn't a permit for carelessness but it does take the risk factor closer to zero.

Good luck with your selection and have fun with whatever you choose.