Watching McLintock Today...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd much rather watch old movies with John Wayne or such than almost any of the newer one they have out there. We watched General Jimmy Stewart in "The Far Country" last night.

I watch McLintock often. Each time, I probably catch something different, but today for the first time, I saw the rifles given to the Indians from the rail car are Krag-Jorgensen rifles. I have not been able to tell what year the movie portrays, but it now must've been 1894-ish or later.
:unsure:
Wasn't the Krag-Jorgenson the main rifle that the US used during the Spanish-American war??

Wasn't the Krag-Jorgenson the main rifle that the US used during the Spanish-American war??
Yes. And different versions were used by European countries in the 1880's.

It probably doesn't matter, being just a movie novel, but some movies such as this one are difficult to pinpoint an era. Often, the 1892, 1894, or Peacemaker are used without question in the Western movies. But seeing the very distinctive Krag rifle caught my attention. Interesting too, as many times as I've seen this movie, this was the first time I noticed these Krag's.

Last edited:

Latest posts