June 6 Article in USA Today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

There is a very nice article in the USA Today newspaper. If it can be called a newspaper anymore? I don't think they still print them on paper, do they?

Anyway, it's about the upcoming D-Day and how American Airlines had a big party in Dallas and then flew 66 WWII Vets over to France.

Here's the link.
USA Today

Didn't someone from the forum go to France for the ceremony? That thread about taking a knife to Europe. When you get back, post some pictures please!

Rat76

Single-Sixer
Wow all 66. They want to support vets, how about free flights for all vets?

Nothing but an advertising stunt.

Not many WW2 Vets left, around 1%. As they are almost all 90 or older way fewer than that in shape to make that trip.

1717424916058.png

"With American flags and enthusiastic applause, veterans of World War II were given a rousing sendoff Friday before departing for the 80th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy. American Airlines is taking 66 veterans and two "Rosie the Riveters" — women who took defense industry jobs to the men could fight — to the ceremonies, which culminate with Thursday's anniversary of the June 6, 1944 invasion.

Delta Airlines is taking about 50 veterans to Normandy on a separate flight."

Flags greet World War II veterans at American Airlines headquarters in Dallas-Fort Worth before heading to France for the 80th anniversary commemorations of D-Day in Normandy.

Read more at: https://www.stripes.com/veterans/20...i7IpVvq4gbafacdJk2NKjtRjXjeuVkf3W6kcpEZnChig_
1717425572146.png

wwb

Hunter
Wasn't that the "green" division that landed on Omaha with the "seasoned" Big Red One? 1st Division had already been through North Africa and Sicily before Normandy.

In the mid 70s I had a 31' Chris Craft that I kept in a Marina close to Houston. My friend and marina neighbor had a boat named Ranger IV. Yep he was a Ranger Top Sergeant and climbed the cliff on that day in June. When the battle was over he was the highest ranking NCO in his unit. He went on to fight in Korea and Vietnam. Just a great humble guy that was great to fish with.

So many of my good friends are now gone.

I'm pretty sure I could not handle it... would be worst than Auschwitz, which I refused to go to while in Poland.
Heck, I can't even make it through the first and last of 'Saving Private Ryan" with out breaking down.
My cousin was in the D Day invasion and was invited to an early screening of Saving Private Ryan. He said that the beach scene was so accurate that he got queasy watching it. The sound of the bullets hitting the landing craft traps really made him go back in his mind.

I'm pretty sure I could not handle it... would be worst than Auschwitz, which I refused to go to while in Poland.
Heck, I can't even make it through the first and last of 'Saving Private Ryan" with out breaking down.
While working on a job site in the Western Desert of Egypt 75-100 miles South of El Alamein we decided to go to El Alamein for a beer and see the famous battle site. While there I went to the Commonwealth Cemetery. One of the toughest/emotional things I have done. Not only were the dates on the headstones, there were inscriptions from parents, wives and or other relatives. First time I had seen that and they were tough to read . Having two Military Kids in a war zone didn't make it any easier.
I did not waste my time going to the Axis Cemetery after that experience.

Latest posts