Want to get my 12 year old into shooting - What Ruger rifle should I purchase?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My Father taught me on a Bolt Action. Taught me to feel the wind, the sun and all of nature. To feel my body and how it reacts to the gun. The mind is so important in shooting. Learned to take my time and focus on the Bullet going into center. Basically becoming one with the gun, The One Shot, One Kill.
Don't discard a Quality Pellet rifle. Below is the Custom Tuned HW30 MKll given to my son at a young age. The smoothness of this rifle is something you would have to shoot to understand. The Break Action forces the shooter to slow down.
They can be terrific for frequent shooting session. And some great quality guns available. And they become a serious hobby.

betI2iM.jpg

Here is a lovely Rifle to upgrade to. Super accurate and can get almost total silence on it. The Walther Barrel is fantastic.

Last edited:
Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
1972 my dad gifted me a Winchester 62A pump. (12th birthday) They were produced thru 1958, and we would see them frequently in the gun shops, now they have turned highly collectible with nice examples bringing 1k+. I still have that gun today along with 6 others in various variants, configurations.

I also have 10 - Ruger 10/22's, from early guns (1960's) thru to current offerings.

It's ALWAYS interesting that when I take young men out they like shooting both the Winchester's & Ruger's,,, but the ALWAYS migrate to the pump Winchesters.

The Winchester holds ~15lr. The Ruger 10/22 10lr to 25 in the BX magazine.

They are both very similar in accuracy, however the slower more thoughtful process of the Winchester, the shooters shoot better targets than the semi-auto.

They do burn thru the ammo quicker in the Ruger and get tired of reloading, the reason the Winchester's are the last guns still being shot on the firing line.

Rossi makes a copy of the Winchester ~$330, it's ok but not the quality of the Winchester last made in 1958. Older Rossi's IMO were better in quality and you see them pop up from time to time.

A good decent Shooter Winchester can be had ~$600 +/-.

FWIW; My most favorite Winchester pump 22 is a 1890 22 short octagon barrel that hung out in my neighbors grainery, it is well used, ~10% original finish, 90+% brown rust patina.
The neighbor would let me shoot it around the farm yard growing up. (1970-1980's)
In 2020 I stoped by the family home to visit after hearing of his passing. The Grainery and corrals were all gone to build apartments. Sharring the story of how "Hailey" would let me shoot that 22, next thing I knew they brought out the gun. WOW what a o'l friend,,, gently asked if I could purchase it. Was told NO! and then told me to take it, they knew I would really appreciate it.
A Model 1890, made in 1904.
53157361896_501830a027_b.jpg

53157361856_85a7c3f92a_b.jpg

53157849123_6bdc336907_b.jpg
I have bid on a few of those Winchester Model 1890's on GB but never won one! I always wanted one but now, since retirement, all my spare change goes to finishing up the restoration of an old muscle car so I'll likely never have one! What a sweet rifle that is and a good story about it too!

black1970

Blackhawk
Hate to say it and not to rain on your parade but by the time your son is our age he will have already turned all his firearms in to the government. Looks like the way things are going and I don't see turning the ship around. There is a sad time coming for firearms lovers.

Looks like the OP will have a lot of options to take in when he checks back in (three pages worth in two days). Admittedly, I think we can all relate and pass along advice from our experiences and have enjoyed reminiscing about our first rifle. This is a fun example of how this website can work well for others.

My Father taught me on a Bolt Action. Taught me to feel the wind, the sun and all of nature. To feel my body and how it reacts to the gun. The mind is so important in shooting. Learned to take my time and focus on the Bullet going into center. Basically becoming one with the gun, The One Shot, One Kill.
Don't discard a Quality Pellet rifle. Below is the Custom Tuned HW30 MKll given to my son at a young age. The smoothness of this rifle is something you would have to shoot to understand. The Break Action forces the shooter to slow down.
They can be terrific for frequent shooting session. And some great quality guns available. And they become a serious hobby.

betI2iM.jpg

Here is a lovely Rifle to upgrade to. Super accurate and can get almost total silence on it. The Walther Barrel is fantastic.

A break action pellet rifle and a backyard range are perfect for disciplined shooting. A decent target pellet pistol as well. A few softairs for fun blasting at will. Having a convenient means of practice helps immensely.

Really? Never knew you couldn't learn marksmanship with a semi auto. Don't tell the Marines that.
It's not like the 10/22 has actual sights or anything. Geez.
Smh
Learning a Bolt action as described in my earlier post was a tremendous asset when I later went into the Military and shot the semi auto. I don't see the military taking the time to teach thousands of new recruits the same as taking the time to teach a young son or daughter the true basics. It is easy when a youngster misses the first shot to just keep pulling the trigger in hopes of having more success when shooting a semi.
We use to shoot Jack Rabbits at very long distance when we were kids. Those that only believed they had one shot always had very few misses compared to the Semi auto boys which would always use more rounds. Most times just wasting ammo. I
I believe the military now uses Red Dot's as well.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Really? Never knew you couldn't learn marksmanship with a semi auto. Don't tell the Marines that.
It's not like the 10/22 has actual sights or anything. Geez.
Smh
Big difference between 17-18 year olds with DIs SCREAMING in their faces and your average 12-13 year old and their dad. Very disingenuous comparison.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
Hi everyone,

So I'm fairly new to personal gun ownership (I got my pistols 6 months ago, but have been shooting since I was younger). I have a 12 year old that is 6' tall (that is not a typo) and he has been asking me about learning to shoot. I also have never owned a rifle and am looking to get my feet wet into what is what, and what is available.

So I guess you can say this will be something my son and I will both be discovering :)

What would one suggest for a rifle for 13 year old (he turns 13 in October and this would be his birthday present)

I Appreciate any advice you can give me!
A 10-22 and a CLASS you can both attend together. Find an Apple Seed event near you.

Lou

Bearcat
My opinion a bolt action rifle. They are accurate. And teach all the basics!
a semi automatic is fun however learning how to hit with the first shot is the most imp thing.
I agree 100%. I've got a Ruger Precision in long rife. Precision is where it's at.

I just finished a 308 build. I have more fun putting 40 to 60 rounds through it at the range than I do putting 1000 through my Gatling Gun.
IMG_3037.jpeg

Big difference between 17-18 year olds with DIs SCREAMING in their faces and your average 12-13 year old and their dad. Very disingenuous comparison.
First of all, sarcasm.
Second, a kid can learn everything they need to know from a semi auto rifle just as well as a bolt action. Sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze. The basic safety rules apply no matter what you shoot. I've shot plenty of 10/22s that were accurate enough. I have no issues with bolt actions but disagree that you cannot teach someone to be a good shot with a semi auto.

There is just something about the feeling you get after taking a shot and slowly bringing that bolt back and a new cartridge going in. In those few seconds, the mind is busy analyzing and setting all process's of the body to perform to the max, to understand what and why the bullet performed the way it did to the target.
Either you know what I am talking about, or you don't. I may not have stated it correctly, but those that do understand know what I am saying.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I agree with the 10-22. However, we always loaded the magazine with a single cartridge until the shooter showed wnough knowledge, training, and confidence for a semi-auto! Seen too many kids have accidental discharges when the chamber loads after he fires a shot.

My first rifle (age 12) was a Sears single shot 22.

There is just something about the feeling you get after taking a shot and slowly bringing that bolt back and a new cartridge going in. In those few seconds, the mind is busy analyzing and setting all process's of the body to perform to the max, to understand what and why
There's also something about a magdump and running Dueling trees.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I have been follow ing this thread to see others recommendations and their why . I see many have solid thoughts on why theirs is best . After reading through I say the most important thing is getting the young man shooting . 😉

A number of different opinions. I just take a different approach. I believe that in all things in raising a children in any endeavor is a Strong Root System. The Foundation set solid to grow forward and upward. And shooting is no different. No one say's after learning and becoming one with the gun and nature that you cannot advance to other platforms. Yes, there is training and purpose to shooting the dueling tree. And they are indeed fun to shoot.
Hunting is the same way. I spent years with my Father learning about Mother Nature, what the deer eat, where the sleep, the nature of the snake and his part in the Forrest and swamps. All of this well before I carried a firearm. The Deer, the Turkey, the Squirrel, Rabbit, Snake and Hawk etc. All beautiful creatures. Yes, I have killed many Deer etc, but still enjoy the Woods and scouting for them than actually shooting one. Lol, those roots seem to have stuck into old age. (and please, I am totally in favor or shooting wild animals, understand perfectly the need to do this).

I was always taught to do two things upon returning home from hunting. One, take care of your Dog first and above all else. He is the first to be cleaned and fed. Then your gun. Clean it and then lastly yourself.

Each to his own. I am not saying I am right others wrong. In reality, do not care one way or the other. JMHO

Last edited:
A number of different opinions. I just take a different approach. I believe that in all things in raising a children in any endeavor is a Strong Root System. The Foundation set solid to grow forward and upward. And shooting is no different. No one say's after learning and becoming one with the gun and nature that you cannot advance to other platforms. Yes, there is training and purpose to shooting the dueling tree. And they are indeed fun to shoot.
Hunting is the same way. I spent years with my Father learning about Mother Nature, what the deer eat, where the sleep, the nature of the snake and his part in the Forrest and swamps. All of this well before I carried a firearm. The Deer, the Turkey, the Squirrel, Rabbit, Snake and Hawk etc. All beautiful creatures. Yes, I have killed many Deer etc, but still enjoy the Woods and scouting for them than actually shooting one. Lol, those roots seem to have stuck into old age. (and please, I am totally in favor or shooting wild animals, understand perfectly the need to do this).

I was always taught to do two things upon returning home from hunting. One, take care of your Dog first and above all else. He is the first to be cleaned and feed. Then your gun. Clean it and then lastly yourself.

Each to his own. I am not saying I am right others wrong. In reality, do not care one way or the other. JMHO
The foundation needs to start with SAFETY. If you have those 3-4 rules committed to every part of your memory you should be good for a lifetime of safe gun handling. Always start there. Also differentiate roles of any sort of "Weapon" even in play. My son and his friends had paintball and softair guns and were constantly having war games of one sort of another. As long as their targets were willing "combatants" they could be in their underwear as long as they had eye protection. If I caught them targeting anything/anyone for mischief I was like a ton of bricks. As a kid I had a range in the basement and a backstop for my BB guns. The NRA and other's have published safety materials that Father and kids can do together on their home range as well as basic/Hunter Safety classes. A Hunter Safety Certification is a state issued credential authorizing access to loaded firearms. My kids had theirs at 8. Classes and Competitions are perfect for developing skills. Sitting alone lobbing projectiles is ok but running a dueling tree is awesome. Shooting against the clock adds a level of stress that can push you way beyond just plinking. A few "target" pellet guns and some semi/full softairs are probably the best start even at this late age. Once he demonstrates safety and proficiency hook him up with an AR and a shotgun to make up for your years of neglect. There's a chance that you might discover that firearms might not be a good idea and better to discover that with bb/softair.