Want to get my 12 year old into shooting - What Ruger rifle should I purchase?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi everyone,

So I'm fairly new to personal gun ownership (I got my pistols 6 months ago, but have been shooting since I was younger). I have a 12 year old that is 6' tall (that is not a typo) and he has been asking me about learning to shoot. I also have never owned a rifle and am looking to get my feet wet into what is what, and what is available.

So I guess you can say this will be something my son and I will both be discovering :)

What would one suggest for a rifle for 13 year old (he turns 13 in October and this would be his birthday present)

I Appreciate any advice you can give me!

typ240

Bearcat
^^^^^^

10/22 sounds about right, your 12yo will go through 1k rounds in 15 minutes - good luck :D

Last edited:

mjh

Single-Sixer
Find a used Marlin bolt action rifle. Learn to shoot first.

Second would be a Henry lever action. Kind of classic, even if not exactly like the old lever action rifles.

Last would be a 10/22, he'll burn through a lot of ammo but but will he really learn marksmanship?

Of course Appleseed and a 10/22 would be a good combination.

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
Ruger American Rimfire or a 77/22(much nicer) if you can find one. The 10/22 is a great rifle but I found teaching my kids the fundamental basics that a bolt or single shot rifle was best. Teach him the basics first, then let him shoot targets like clay pigeons to keep him interested. Shooting little holes in paper entertains us old guys but kids seem to get bored easily while doing that. As long as you have a proper backstop cans, dueling trees and those molded targets that bounce around will hold their interest for hours on end.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I was a couple years younger than your son, a while back (68 years ago!) when I learned how to shoot a rifle. It was a single shot .22 bolt action - don't remember the make or model. And I was taught by a Marine who was also a NRA instructor. Earned these over a period of several months, which was great incentive to learn good marksmanship, self discipline, and safety. If you can provide this kind of training and incentive for him, it will go a long way throughout his life.

nra badges.jpg

Second would be a Henry lever action. Kind of classic, even if not exactly like the old lever action rifles.

Last would be a 10/22, he'll burn through a lot of ammo but but will he really learn marksmanship?

+1

Lots of used Marlin bolt-actions out there, which would make GREAT trainers!

Prices are creeping up, but the occasional bargain still crops up.

I just saw a REALLY nice, "adult-sized" Marlin bolt action at our youth Firearms Safety field day last weekend. It had a full sized stock, great "heft," and didn't feel at ALL like the "kid's rifle" that some of the entry level rifles do…

It belonged to one of the other instructors. Might have been a Model 80, or 81? I'll try to find out what it was.

This example had a removable magazine, but IIRC, the other instructor said that the same basic rifle also came with a tube magazine.

It had a "Marlin 1870-1970" emblem in the buttstock, so it may have dated back to that era.

I'll see if I can find out what model it was.

Last edited:

RSIno1

Hunter

Have him use the Ruger 1 round at a time. Get half dozen mags and have him put 1 round per mag. He'll learn those take your time skills that way. Also make him buy his own ammo after X number of rounds per trip - he won't go through it as fast if he's got to mow the lawn for those next 50 shots..

krw

Blackhawk
I know you asked for a Ruger choice. How bout CZ452? Great rifles. I have couple. Now I cut my teeth on a 1971 model 10-22 w Weaver 22 4x scope. I hav shot a 100 gazillion shells through it. Lots of days 500 plus. Wasted lots of ammo but Hey, thats what 22's are for

I have nothing to do with the following auctions , just showing them to you as possibilities

CZ 452 American like this one

and then get this to go with it
Cz Magazine 452-455-457 .22lr - Single Shot Adapter

or maybe this one
Anshutz Single Shot 22LR

NICE REMINGTON MODEL 514 SINGLE SHOT

Hi everyone,

So I'm fairly new to personal gun ownership (I got my pistols 6 months ago, but have been shooting since I was younger). I have a 12 year old that is 6' tall (that is not a typo) and he has been asking me about learning to shoot. I also have never owned a rifle and am looking to get my feet wet into what is what, and what is available.

So I guess you can say this will be something my son and I will both be discovering :)

What would one suggest for a rifle for 13 year old (he turns 13 in October and this would be his birthday present)

I Appreciate any advice you can give me!
AR556 to make up for your years of neglect. A Barrett would be even better. Sign him up for basic safety and Hunter Safety classes. Then maybe take a few practical shooting courses and maybe even try a few matches.

Last edited:
10-22 is nice BUT it's more difficult to keep the new shooter paying attention to form and consistency with a semi-auto. Ruger American rimfire would be my pick.
It may/will be more difficult to get him started since you possibly have only limited experience. Go slow and don't teach him bad habits that he'll have to break and relearn the right way later.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
To add to my last, I would advise against a scope. I'd recomment standard iron sights or peep sights. A decent scope will add a couple hundred to the cost, and requires a completely different approach. You should start him out on close range - 25yds or less - to build confidence and teach proper technique in prone, sitting, kneeling, and offhand. Trigger control, controlled breathing, and other factors are important to accuracy and precision. Approach it as you would for other skills, such as learning to play a musical instrument. Shooting ain't just about making noise.

No shotgun? I was hunting with 12ga and 16ga (bolt-action and pump) for rabbit and squirrel at that age.

For rifle, I think it depends on what it'll be used for. While one could build the case for a 30-30 lever action or Ruger No. 1 centerfire, if it's just for plinking and for him to eventually hand down to his kid, then I'd suggest making it a quality rimfire firearm. My first rifle was a Savage .22LR bolt-action, but I bought my daughter a Marlin Golden 39A years ago. I like the idea of a quality .22LR with iron sight in bolt-action or single-shot or even a nice Henry lever action.

A single shot is good for the first few shots but interest will dwindle fast. A bolt action is good for settling in and developing good fundamentals like breathing and feeling your heart beat so you can break the shot in between etc. Golf balls on the 100yd berm are a great motivator. A target barrel 10-22 or A22 can give precision and suppressive fire. A 12ga slug/shot combo pump would be a great Christmas present.

Latest posts