Want new sights for SR 40C need ideas and how 2s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blindjim

Bearcat
Hello Everybody!

I really need bigger sights on my SR 40C I just bought. The Factory ones are pitifully too small for me.

I'd like suggestions for replacement sights... primarily daytime or low light. I have a C5L laser for after dark.

Are the XS Big Dots my only out?

What does it take to remove the OEM sights, and put new ones on?

is it a lot of trouble? I saw in the manual where it said to adjust the rears left to right, to loosen the one screw and hit them with a hammer!

Sweet!

hammers are my favorite tool.

I can't wait!!

seriously though, any ideas on really nice replacement sights would be a big help.

Thanks a lot.

gfw1985

Bearcat
I put the Williams Firesight on my SR9C and very pleased. A little tall, so holster selection will be an issue if you plan to carry. Front sight was replaced by my local gunshop at no charge, but the rear you can do yourself. Same sight fits both the 9 and 40.

blindjim

Bearcat
thanks... the front post has to be done by a gunsmith?

I've been wonering looking at it as to how it comes off without a saw.

how are the Williams better or different from the Novak or XS sights?

gfw1985

Bearcat
Changing the front sight is doable at home. I just was not comfortable knocking it out with a punch(new pistol), many people do it themselves. I have the same sights on my turkey gun. Not having any of the others to compare to personally, I went with what I knew. With my old eyes, it has worked out well. The front sight fits in my cheap nylon holster, but I can see it could be an issue with a leather or kydex one.

blindjim

Bearcat
A punch huh? hmmm.

luckily, my neighbor does all that sort of stuff on his own.... maybe I'll throw it on him.

If you have seen the Big dot XS sights online... I like that idea. Actually, if they were a about the size of a BB or better up front.. maybe a sacchrin table or so, even better. My eyes I'm sure are way worse than your's.

I can't even see the Trijicon tac night sights on my FNP 45T! unless I take a pic with my dusty rusty Kodak & it's flash!

I almost packed it up and sent it back! Funny... I could see the H&K .45 sights clearly illuminated inside the store! Maybe they're different things.

Thanks for the info... I'm on it... soon as I get a few hundred recoils under my wrists.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I've seen some folk posting pics of their SR*c's and some look like the front sight has been staked. You might look into a sight pusher.

gfw1985

Bearcat
Iron Mike Golf said:
I've seen some folk posting pics of their SR*c's and some look like the front sight has been staked. You might look into a sight pusher.
Main reason I had mine done. Took the guy all of 10 minutes. While they did mine for free, I have seen posts on here where they were charged $80 for a $50 sight. Pays to support your local dealer. I only deal with one that can at least perform minor work on site.

blindjim

Bearcat
I do dig. Sure would hate to invest the cost of the sights PLUS another $50 - $80 to ahve them installed. I'd find out first though, of course. Maybe buy it/them from a dealer locally IF they'll install it/them.

we'll see.... thanks. Good stuff.