Vaquero and Blackhawk hammers:

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently purchased several Ruger revolvers and have a question on a couple of them. My NM Blackhawk .41 magnum's hammer is polished like a mirror but my more expensive 45 Colt Vaquero's hammer more resembles a dull washer. My .357 Vaquero also has a nice shiny hammer. Is it hard to remove and polish?

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

If you're careful and maybe even use a Q-Tip, Mothers Mag Polish works good on the hammer sides.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome!

If you aren't familiar with the disassembly & reassembly of a Ruger New Model single-action revolver,, it can be a little frustrating. Unless you have some skills in gun tinkering,, and a good manual on them,, you might find it a bit harder than,, say, some of the semi-auto's out there. (I'm thinking of the 1911 here.)

But you can find good detailed info on some of the social media sites I've been told. I don't use any of those places,, but I've been tinkering with Ruger SA's for decades. To me,, it's not very hard at all.

That said,, if you do decide to polish the hammer,, just be sure to add a protective layer of oil etc after you've done it. Ruger hammers often get "discolored" or whatever over time. Especially the Old Models.

A popular feature years ago to dress up a SA hammer,, was to jewel the sides of it to make it hold oil easier,, AND look like a "custom" job. That takes a bit more work.

But as mentioned above,, you can use a Q-tip & polish the sides while it's still in the gun.

....same can be said to do the 'reverse' simply wipe around on the "shiny" sides with a piece of 3M Scotchbrite pad and wipe around and around , over and over and you will matte this surface....whichever floats YOUR boat....:cool::rolleyes:;)

maxfam

Bearcat
Anything to do with removing the grip frame on a Blackhawk or Single Six should begin with using the correct screw drivers.

Amazon product ASIN B00L9XZUB6

Then there is much information on the net on the procedure, so good, some???.

Screw drivers are relatively inexpensive, but a scratched up grip frame is ugly forever.
Just my .02 worth.

Latest posts