US Navy warship commander mocked for holding rifle with scope mounted backward

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Hunter

&&&&&

That's the new Navy. I wonder where the poor guy is that handed him the rifle. I'll bet he didn't mount the scope.

Seem to remember some years ago a photo of a police swat team with one of their scopes on backwards.
I wonder when he was firing if he had a WTF thought go through his head?

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
The fool who put that scope on that rifle needs to stop touching firearms.
The Commander who picked it up and then continued to FIRE it like that also needs a new job.
(Cases in the air might have come from him)

&&&&&

Perfect for the Transgender Forces of America 🤣😂🤣😂

Okay, I got to ask the question... I looked at the photo and how does one determine that the scope is mounted backwards? I can't tell that. Now if I had that exact scope I could probably figure it out but not from the photograph.. Also, what is a navy commander doing firing a rifle anyway.... as far as I know the closest they might get to this is to tell some officer below him to tell someone else to push a button.

hpman66

Hunter
IMHO, Commander Cameron Yaste is the USN version of Gersh Kuntzman. Ya'll remember Gershy don't ya, he's the "journalist🤣" that suffered from PTSD after firing an AR-15.

AND

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Obviously,, the people who have those scopes & knowledge of them can easily tell it's mounted backwards.

But I looked at it,, and I can see the adjustable power ring,, the eye-piece,, and understood it's backwards.

So sad any member of our armed forces is so unfamiliar with a weapon they may have to use that is standard issue,, in such a position.

hpman66

Hunter
Okay, I got to ask the question... I looked at the photo and how does one determine that the scope is mounted backwards? I can't tell that. Now if I had that exact scope I could probably figure it out but not from the photograph.. Also, what is a navy commander doing firing a rifle anyway.... as far as I know the closest they might get to this is to tell some officer below him to tell someone else to push a button.

I've got a question too. Would the men, under his command, hand him a weapon in this configuration if they respected him?

PS - IMHO, I don't think that there's any way that the power ring on that scope could be mistaken for an adjustable objective ring.

Y'all are right after I sent that post and went up to eat supper with my wife I realized the power ring or what ever you call the eye adjustment was pretty obvious. The interesting thing I saw in the picture was the flying brass and so he is actually shooting the rifle like that... but then my experience with scopes is he is going to get a much wider (- magnification) field of view and this could be an advantage. Maybe the scope is mounted like that on purpose? I just checked one of mine looking through it backwards at 3 power and it is pretty much just a negative 3 view.... maybe do that for training so that the target that is close in looks further away? In the Appleseed class we were shooting at 25yards but the size of the target was so small it was like shooting at 400 yards, you just did not compensate for drop.

Being around many Veteran's of all services, at the range, and/or while conducting training for funeral Honor Guard duty, I am always taken back when a Navy or Air Force Vet tells me they had very little to zero firearms training when they were in the service. So for a photo op by, or with someone with little or no firearms experience, he may not have any clue in the world that something is amiss.

The photo op creator maybe had no clue, or didn't realize the importance.

Last edited:
My father once told me of talking to a retired Army Ranger who did not know how to swim.... Hell in 1949 he was a marine on a sub and they dropped him and some buddies off in the pacific to tread water and came back the next day for them.

Latest posts