UPDATE/ PART 2 -- SR1911 Extractor & Other Issues, Help!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
You can make a one inch fifty yard gun, but it costs a fortune, and reliability suffers.

Well...Not always. Reliability and accuracy aren't mutually exclusive, but having both in the same pistol does require a talented builder, and it costs money. Like the guy at the speed shop said when the kid asked how much to make his car go fast.

"Speed costs money, kid. How fast can you afford to go?"

Northern Virginia based Jerry Keefer is building some of the most wicked accurate pistols to ever come down the pike, and they're all dead reliable...dirty or clean...dripping with oil or dry as a popcorn poot...but Jerry's services don't come cheap.

Nor is "loose" any guarantee of reliability. Too loose is as bad or worse than too tight. Too loose gives more trash...and larger pieces of trash...the opportunity to gum up the works.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
1911Tuner said:
Well...Not always. Reliability and accuracy aren't mutually exclusive, but having both in the same pistol does require a talented builder, and it costs money.

This must be wrong, and I know that because I read it on the internet. There is no reason why an average guy who has never changed a tire on his vehicle can't order a bunch of parts from different vendors and put together a highly accurate, perfectly reliable 1911 clone on his kitchen table.

Isn't that right? :oops: :roll: :shock: :cry:

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
JNewell said:
1911Tuner said:
Well...Not always. Reliability and accuracy aren't mutually exclusive, but having both in the same pistol does require a talented builder, and it costs money.

This must be wrong, and I know that because I read it on the internet. There is no reason why an average guy who has never changed a tire on his vehicle can't order a bunch of parts from different vendors and put together a highly accurate, perfectly reliable 1911 clone on his kitchen table.

Isn't that right? :oops: :roll: :shock: :cry:

Well...You know what they say about blind squirrels and nuts. :D

JNewell

Single-Sixer
BTW, sir, thanks for your posts here. I (hope that I will) never stop learning.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
You're welcome, sir.

Until circumstances beyond my control pretty much brought it to a halt, I held free workshops in which we went over several aspects of the 1911's function along with a few little-known features that...although they're right under our noses...often go unnoticed or misunderstood. We all had a good time, and everybody went away with something. Even an experienced pistolsmith who I suspect came just to shake me up had a headsmack moment on one point, stating: "How could I have not seen that?"

True story:

In 2007, a pistolsmith and knife maker from Monroe, Louisiana bunked here for 2 weeks while he took an engraving course at Montgomery Community College. We talked pistols, and he brought up a point that we'd discussed a few times, but he could never really wrap his head around until I did a simple demonstration.

On returning home, he stopped by Jim Clark Jr's shop, having known him since he was a youngun on account of having apprenticed under his father...he related what we'd discussed.

Jim got quiet...stopped...laid his file down, and said:

"I'll be damned. That's how it works. I never thought about it, but that's exactly what happens. I will be damned!"

Little things.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Yeah, that group buy was a bad lick all around. Check Mate got caught in the middle for a while until the organizers figured out what happened. It was a mess.

Still no word from the OP on bringin' that Ruger down here to Poverty Holler for a diagnosis and a cure.

I went back to the pictures and looked a little closer with my failin' eyes and saw that it does, indeed have an extended ejector. That's a big part of the live round failure to eject. I don't know why Ruger elected to go that route in a 5-inch gun, but it is what it is.

Anyhoo...Standin' by.

Jafff

Bearcat
Hello guys,

it seems I have quite the same problem as pctech at the start of this topic. Ruger is my first 1911 pistol, so everything around it is quite new to me... so I really need an advice. I already adjusted extractor tension and it seems it helped a lot... BUT... not for 100%.
The problem is this: cartridges with FMJ round nose bullet got stuck almost every time exactly like in pctech´s gun. Cartridges with flat nose bullets are flying out just fine (so I see extractor tuning helped a lot). From these facts it seems like AOL of cartridges is one factor of this problem (as I said, even FMJ round nose cartridges doesnt get stuck every time - few times cartridge manages to get out, but the bullet is little bit scratched by the edge of ejecting window).
Since it seems extractor works just like it should, I am thinking about tampering with ejector. I think if I shorten it a little, it may help. But, I am really not sure. I dont even know what type of ejector Ruger has - extended version or normal? If extended, buying a normal version should solve the solution...
What do you think, guys? I really do welcome any advice, because sending the gun to USA is not an option (I live in Central Europe) and I really like my gun and want to work as it should.

Thanks (and apologies for my english).

Jafff

Latest posts