Up Date

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hotrodbob

Bearcat
Up dated,will I sold the LCP and the LC380. Got a LC9 to replace them. Wanted to not have to worry about 380 ammo. I have 9 all ready. Plus the gun size was the same as the LC380. Wife likes the LC size.

I all so got two more pistols beside's the LC9,SR9c and SR1911. I was able to pickup the 1911 at I feel was a great price. It really look's good. :D

eveled

Hawkeye
Always nice to eliminate a caliber from your inventory, if you can do it without missing the gun. I think you made a good move. With the new compact 9's available the .380 is pointless (to me anyway). I have been trying to consolidate calibers for a while, I'm down to 4 hand gun calibers, and can't get any lower. .22lr, .38/.357, 9mm, &.45acp. Ed

pjkid

Bearcat
The only thing wrong with the LCP for a pocket (purse) gun is that is a 380.

Seems ideal to make a 22LR version.

groberts

Single-Sixer
pjkid said:

Why is that? Do you just not like 380's? 22's are useless as a defense weapon for most people - they just tend to tick someone off.

revhigh

Hawkeye
rgburrill said:
pjkid said:

Why is that? Do you just not like 380's? 22's are useless as a defense weapon for most people - they just tend to tick someone off.

No ... People who are not familiar with ballistic performance like to attempt to degrade the 380 by saying its not an effective SD round. That ... Of course ... Is total BS. Proponents of the 45ACP like to say the same thing about 9mm.

To those who say those things I respond with .... Really ? How about you let me shoot you in the chest with a 22LR while you're coming at me .... And we'll just see if all it does is 'tick you off' .... Never had someone agree to that yet .... Those same people would be scared to let you shoot them in the a$$ with a Red Ryder BB gun, and all that would do is sting for a few seconds.

People have been spouting the same old crap for years. The 380 is just fine as a civilian SD caliber .... Unless you're just a mall ninja that has to pretend they're real bad a$$ carrying around a full size 9 or 45 with two mags worth of spare ammo ... And the only reason they have the spares is because they're such a lousy shot that they NEED fifty some rounds to hit the target once. :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
DonD said:
Yeah, I'd say someone who could put 4 or 5 quick shots in a nice pattern COM on an assailant would fare much better than someone who got one off one COM hit and a nick using a full snort 9mm. Don

ONE shot will most likely do (with any caliber) anywhere on their body ....

The chances of having a crazed lunatic attack you that's gonna absorb a bunch of rounds and keep coming is less than hitting the powerball lottery.

REV

hotrodbob

Bearcat
I was not trying to say that a 380 would not due the job. I did not care much for the LCP and that I liked the LC380 but why not just get a LC9 because I all ready had some 9 pistols and would not have to keep up with more typies of ammo.

I am out to get all of the SR series pistols. I am going this weekend to get a SR22ps witch is hard to find but I found one. Then I will get a SR40. I will have a SR22ps,SR9c,SR9,SR40c,SR40, SR45, and SR1911. I will just need the SR1911commander. All of this are in silver. :D

Rei40c

Blackhawk
hotrodbob said:
I am out to get all of the SR series pistols. I am going this weekend to get a SR22ps witch is hard to find but I found one. Then I will get a SR40. I will have a SR22ps,SR9c,SR9,SR40c,SR40, SR45, and SR1911. I will just need the SR1911commander. All of this are in silver. :D

lol your a mad man! But I like it. I like the stainless as well mine is but a word of friendly caution. No matter which you choose you will eventually wish you had the other. Its the grass is greener on the other side of the fence thing I think. I now wish I had a blued sr40c, for no other real reason then I have the stainless. :)

Rei40c

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
DonD said:
Yeah, I'd say someone who could put 4 or 5 quick shots in a nice pattern COM on an assailant would fare much better than someone who got one off one COM hit and a nick using a full snort 9mm. Don

ONE shot will most likely do (with any caliber) anywhere on their body ....

The chances of having a crazed lunatic attack you that's gonna absorb a bunch of rounds and keep coming is less than hitting the powerball lottery.

REV

Agreed when I was wringing my hands over caliber a while back I came across a story about the .45acp and an officer involved shooting. Keep in mind the 2 previous weeks, I've been doing online research and according to what I was reading the .45acp must have had a nuclear warhead in it because it obviously instantly kills anyone who so much as looks at it funny. Then I found this. A real life account.

Very long story short- Officer stopped suspect, bad guy pulls gun, officer fires 5-6 rounds striking bad guy 3 times in the torso. Bad guy falls, stands up and sprints like a track star 3 blocks. They follow the blood trail to a house, now 30 minutes later where they find him hiding in a closet, bleeding but still wide awake.

For me this simplified things, my logic is all calibers can fail. The statistical difference between them is minimal.

toysoldier

Hunter
Rei40c said:
For me this simplified things, my logic is all calibers can fail. The statistical difference between them is minimal.

This is exactly what some very thorough studies of shootings has revealed. Most bad guys will cease and desist when shot, no matter where and with what. There are exceptions; that's why shot placement is important.

I wonder if the focus on COM and "thoracic triangle" may be incorrect. Perforating thoracic injuries may be shrugged off. In my 35 years of experience in surgery, just about anyone who has a serious problem with their gut, be it appendicitis, perforated diverticulum, or bullet hole, has little inclination to do anything but curl up and scream. Gut shooting may not be sporting, but it can effectively stop a person.

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
The .22 LR, .32 ACP, .380 are all very lethal.
Unless you are contemplating murder, you are not concerned with lethality. You are concerned with stopping power. You can find stories about 1-shot stops with .22 Shorts and failures to stop with 6 rounds point blank with .44 magnums. The odds, however, favor the larger calibers.

GKC

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
ONE shot will most likely do (with any caliber) anywhere on their body ...

I have to give you a little grief over that statement...I'd dare say that shooting an attacker in the big toe with a .22 probably won't stop them, even though they are going to hurt like the dickens later. Now, I may be reading it too literally, but "any caliber" and "anywhere on their body" does bring out the smart aleck in me... :lol:

Not, of course, that I want to be shot in the big toe with a .22, or in the butt with a BB gun...or with anything, anywhere else on me.

Pierow

Blackhawk
GKC said:
.......I'd dare say that shooting an attacker in the big toe with a .22 probably won't stop them, even though they are going to hurt like the dickens later.................
I know you were joking a bit but I have to say, in a gunfight if you shoot a guys big toe off or shot him anywhere in the foot, you got a knock down. If need be you'll have plenty of chances for follow up shots as the bad guy does a Fred Flinstone, Yabba, Dabba Doo dance.

Pierow

George

Blackhawk
""Very long story short- Officer stopped suspect, bad guy pulls gun, officer fires 5-6 rounds striking bad guy 3 times in the torso. Bad guy falls, stands up and sprints like a track star 3 blocks. They follow the blood trail to a house, now 30 minutes later where they find him hiding in a closet, bleeding but still wide awake.

For me this simplified things, my logic is all calibers can fail. The statistical difference between them is minimal.""

IMO I think the key is with any caliber shoot for COM till you see a reaction a few sec. of disorientation whatever it is see it them follow up with well placed head shots right away.. Now a .45 is going to hit hard with any solid hit to any part of the body with the right ammo of corse. Hit a man in the arm get bone the man will react only after he asses the situation. Take you well placed shots.. Even a crazed mas will react to a point, always use this to your advantage. Using this strategy even a .22 is a useful tool!! My way of thinking! George

George

Blackhawk
Pierow said:
GKC said:
.......I'd dare say that shooting an attacker in the big toe with a .22 probably won't stop them, even though they are going to hurt like the dickens later.................
I know you were joking a bit but I have to say, in a gunfight if you shoot a guys big toe off or shot him anywhere in the foot, you got a knock down. If need be you'll have plenty of chances for follow up shots as the bad guy does a Fred Flinstone, Yabba, Dabba Doo dance.

Pierow
Yes LOL!! Love this and agree!! Georgre

GKC

Blackhawk
Pierow said:

I was indeed joking, mostly...but there are so many variables that come into play in a specific situation that it is impossible to say exactly what will happen. There are many instances of people being shot with a larger caliber in more critical areas and not even realizing it until some time later.

I'd hate to count on a .22 as a defensive weapon! If it was all I had, though, I would much rather have a .22 than just profane insults to hurl. :wink:

groberts

Single-Sixer
Pierow said:
GKC said:

Pierow
Is he wearing sandals or flip/flops? Don't think a 22 will do much to steel toed boots. Unless it ricochets up into his private parts. :oops: