Turned down a GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sasquatch

Bearcat
I've been wanting a GP100 in .357 for a while now but after handling one in a gun store I walked away without it.
To me it felt rough especially the ejector rod which would occasionally stick. Maybe it was a lemon I don't know but I really was disappointed.
The two other wheel guns I own are a S&W 629 Classic (pre Hillary hole) and a snub nose Taurus. They told me the tolerances are tight on a Ruger and should loosen up after 2000 rounds . At the prices they're charging I prefer something smoother right out the box .
I'm still interested in getting a GP100 , I'd like to try another to see if it feels any better than the first one .

3manfan

Single-Sixer
GP's have never been as refined or had as nice an action as a S&W. All of my various Ruger's have had action work done to make them tolerable & to my liking. That sticking ejector rod seems to tend to happen if it's really forced in to it's limit of travel. A slightly bent one or a dirty one internally may also cause that. Nothing that a good gunsmith can't resolve. No stock GP will meet your expectations if your using your S&W as a metric of comparison. But if you buy one & get it to your liking, you're unlikely to ever part with it. They are absolute tanks & will last several lifetimes if properly cared for.

Sasquatch

Bearcat
The gun was brand new , manufactured a month earlier ( I checked the serial number).
I'm not giving up though , the GP100 gets rave reviews and it's a very nice looking piece of machinery in my opinion.
I'm looking around for another to inspect and hopefully I can find one to meet my expectations. 😄

contender

Ruger Guru
Long ago,, I had a few Security-Six series DA Rugers. I never felt the need for a GP.

Well, I handled a slick GP-100 Match Champion,, and fell in love with it. I now have a few others. So far,, all of mine have been just fine, and yes,, they were NIB when I got them. I used one in USPSA competition (the .10mm one,) until I was able to secure a Super GP-100 in .9mm. (Thanks Kevin.)
It sounds as if you found one that's a bit too rough right out of the box. HOWEVER,, if you were to buy it,, and then contact Ruger,, they'd likely send you a free shipper,, and you could send it to them. They will go over the gun very closely, especially in the areas of your concerns. And when it comes back,, I'd bet good money it'll be VERY nice!

eveled

Hawkeye
It's unfair to compare a new revolver with one that is already broken in. All machines require breaking in.

I agree with @Pps1980 I like to buy them used and already broken in. That way, I save on the purchase price and the cost of the break in ammo. 😂

I also understand if something doesn't feel "right" about a gun, why you would walk away. I've definitely done that with no regrets.

Best of luck, hope you find one you bond with.

wproct

Single-Sixer
The action on a GP100 will vary from one to another. I have owned 4 different GP100 revolvers. The action on one was not good and I wound up trading it off. 1 was probably average and 1 was pretty good. Then the last one, which I currently own, was superb right out of the box. They all will improve with use, and spring changes are easily done. Please keep us updated on your search for yours.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
The gun was brand new , manufactured a month earlier ( I checked the serial number).
I'm not giving up though , the GP100 gets rave reviews and it's a very nice looking piece of machinery in my opinion.
I'm looking around for another to inspect and hopefully I can find one to meet my expectations. 😄
I bought a new 5" GP100 (model 1740) a few years ago that had a rough feeling ejector rod. During a range trip a very large machining burr dropped out onto the bench. After that the ejector operated smoothly. Another area that can be rough on some is the trigger return channel although I've never experienced it. I've installed hammer & hammer dog shims to all my GP100s (3) & my SP101 and it does make them smoother. I also installed 12# main springs and polished the main spring struts. Left the trigger return spring stock. They smooth out with use too.

I dunno, never had a new GP100 or Sec6. I second the comments about a broken in gun vs a NIB gun. Not a fair comparison.
I do like the GP 6" as a shooter but it's more weight to carry and not that much better than a Sec6 unless all your shooting is smallish targets at longish ranges.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I never shoot a new gun without a field strip (sometimes a detailed strip) and thorough cleaning and lubrication with top tier products. I've lost count of how many times I've found a hitchy trigger, crunchy hammer, or sticky ejector rod was caused by leftover machining debris or the packing lubes most companies use for preservation prior to shipping. (They may call them lubes, but most are heavy and tacky...think cosmoline.) I once got a new S&W 686 into the shop that locked up when I tried to work the action. Pulled the sideplate, and there was over an ounce of metal shavings from machining all globbed up with shipping lube jammed in there. My SP101 and my GP100 both suffered from some stickiness out of the box, but a thorough cleaning and lubrication with Tetra lube and grease eliminated those issues. Polishing the parts that rubbed and adding a good spring kit left both with actions that rival S&W Performance Center guns.

dannyd

Hunter
Most GP's are rough out of the box, just know you will have to do some work on them. Very easy revolver to work on, few tools and your mostly just cleaning up after the manufacture.

Sasquatch

Bearcat
Most GP's are rough out of the box, just know you will have to do some work on them. Very easy revolver to work on, few tools and your mostly just cleaning up after the manufacture.
Someone told me that but you'd think at $879 plus tax you wouldn't have to do that ?
I know my S&W 629 I bought new in the late 90's was a clean , smooth operating piece of machinery right out of the box.

dannyd

Hunter
Someone told me that but you'd think at $879 plus tax you wouldn't have to do that ?
I know my S&W 629 I bought new in the late 90's was a clean , smooth operating piece of machinery right out of the box.
Well that's the Election Covid price, the most I ever paid was 539.00 out the door for a GP, the other 300 to 400. I would never pay 900.00 dollars for a GP, that's like paying Cadillac money for a old pickup.

Don't get me wrong, I have personally shot thousands of rounds in my GP's and do love them, but I got into Rugers in the early 80's when money was short and they were cheap.

Don't know anything about S&W except I could never afford one.

But one guy told my 4 inch SS GP from 1989 is smoother than his Smith, that revolver is north of 35,000 rounds. :)

babills

Bearcat
Just bought a brand new gp100 6" stainless. I took it apart to do a little polishIng and cleaning. It was greasy and sticky from factory. Smoothed right up after a good clean. Also picked up a red hawk 44 mag 2023 and it was the same.