Turkey Season 2024

Help Support Ruger Forum:

We have had several "not hunting" threads recently

Time to counter balance things a bit.

I took this Osceola gobbler Saturday March 23 in Central FL. 11 inch beard, 1 25 & 1.125 spurs, 22 pounds. Nicely colored bird, could possibly pass for a Rio.

was hot and muggy start this morning, I worked up a sweat getting my blind setup about 45 minutes before daylight. Got in, got the thermacell running and waited. Skitters were thick. About 715 the bird gobbled once, ~150 yards off across a small field. Few minutes later the bird gobbles again. Finally I see the bird as he walks into the field. Made a few yelps and purrs, but no interest. Just strutting and a few gobbles and turning small circles. I look north and see some more birds coming. Glass them and it is a group of hens. They pass by the gobbler and he follows. Gobbling, drumming, strutting and putting on a show at 150 to 200 yards along the opposite treeline. Five jakes come and join, the big bird struts some and chases jakes some. About 945 all the birds disappear, heading away from me.

A little after 10 a single hen comes back to the field and turns north. Fifteen minutes or so later another hen comes out of the trees and I hear a gobble, and with my binoculars I see the big bird in the trees but coming behind the hen. He finally leaves the edge of trees and walks into the field. The hen he followed doubled back. But by this time the first hen had made a loop and was coming back, but much closer to my side of the field, skirting a big live oak with low branches.

Suddenly the breeze picks up and my decoy wiggles on the peg and the gobbler suddenly shows interest and starts my way. The hen is feeding closer to me and my decoy is twisting in the wind. So I sat and waited and watched the show. Bird travelling west to east, sun shining brightly on him, strutting, drumming and gobbling a bit. The hen gets to about 10 yards of the decoy and puffs up and walks up to the decoy. The gobbler was about 40 yards and starting to figure out the decoy and starts to angle southeast instead coming straight to me. So I figure now or never, stuck the gun out the side window and delivered a load of TSS to his noggin. He dropped like a stone, just kicked his legs a few times. The hen walked over and checked him out. Then the five jakes came over to check him out.

I watched this bird for the better part of 3 hours of my 4 hour hunt, as he followed hens back and forth along the opposite tree line.

I am fairly certain this is a bird I got on twice last year, but he would not come into range. But, I learned a few of his tricks last year.

Attachments

• 20240323_110552.jpg
    20240323_110552.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240323_110603.jpg
    20240323_110603.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240323_114429.jpg
    20240323_114429.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240324_164702.jpg
    20240324_164702.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 39
Good job.:D
MO season is still a month (+/-) away. I've decided to get back into turkey hunting after several years of disinterest. Sort of lost my desire when shoulder went kapoot and couldn't bear the recoil of a 12 ga. Last fall as a 'retirement' gift to myself, I bought a 3" 20ga semi-auto that has recoil I can handle.
We were out yesterday checking some dozer work on the north farm and saw 4 strutting gobblers and 10-12 hens pecking around on a far hillside. Haven't heard much gobbling at home and this cold, damp weather that's moving in will likely continue that for a few days.

Good job.:D
MO season is still a month (+/-) away. I've decided to get back into turkey hunting after several years of disinterest. Sort of lost my desire when shoulder went kapoot and couldn't bear the recoil of a 12 ga. Last fall as a 'retirement' gift to myself, I bought a 3" 20ga semi-auto that has recoil I can handle.
We were out yesterday checking some dozer work on the north farm and saw 4 strutting gobblers and 10-12 hens pecking around on a far hillside. Haven't heard much gobbling at home and this cold, damp weather that's moving in will likely continue that for a few days.

I have started shooting a 20 ga by choice, not necessity.

I hope to get one with my 28 ga this season, I have another FL "tag" and I can hunt turkey in GA if I get time to go.

"I hope to get one with my 28 ga this season"
I've been hearing of several hunters switching to the 28. I've had a 28 SxS for many years just because it was light and easy to carry plus adequate for quail. Not planning to go that far as the 20 seems an easier solution and a wider variety of load options.
Really a non-issue if the tom is within 25-35 yards.

NewRuger41

Bearcat
Time to inspire the hunters here. Gobble gobble. They two have been struttin' around trying to win the hearts of hens on our land the past 2-3 weeks. My boy was fishin for stripers last weekend when the season opened for youth, but we are hoping to get some time in this Sunday or next week (Spring Break) as he has a fishing tournament on Saturday when season opens for all.

Gobblers.jpg

"I hope to get one with my 28 ga this season"
I've been hearing of several hunters switching to the 28. I've had a 28 SxS for many years just because it was light and easy to carry plus adequate for quail. Not planning to go that far as the 20 seems an easier solution and a wider variety of load options.
Really a non-issue if the tom is within 25-35 yards.

TSS shot is deadly a long way out. You should shoot some plywood at 40 - 50 yards and observe the penetration.

NewRuger41

Bearcat
Worked a box call this afternoon, had a Tom return gobbles a few times, heard this bird before I saw it across our pond, watched it come across the dam, thinking it was the Tom, until it came closer and saw it was not the Tom I wanted. But, I hoped she would bring in a Tom! Alas, no dice. Just shot some video of her about 25 feet from me. Just sitting real still, one eye closed, shouldering the Remy 870 with the left while the right held the phone to record some video. Love time in the woods!

I switched to the extended 'turkey' choke yesterday and did some adjusting on my optic. Shot about 1/2 box of light field loads and no sore shoulder so that's good. GEEZ, the patterns are really tight with that tube. I only had 16 yards to work with due to the heavy rain making things sloppy but at that distance, the majority of pellets were within a 6-8" circle which worked well for adjusting the dot.
Still not quite satisfied with the adjustments as I'm sure the patterns will hit higher with the increased recoil of the turkey loads.
I'm a slate call guy and have a variety from way back in the days of guiding turkey hunters so just a bit of tune up and that should be covered.
Turkeys have really livened up last week but this week's cold, rainy weather may slow them a bit. On the other hand, weather forecast for first week of season is for warmer and less wind which will be a plus.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Our season starts in a couple of weeks. I've got permission from the land owner. I'll be setting up a blind and using my longbow. Haven't seriously hunted Turkey' since about 2015 or 16. Have gotten one with my recurve before. If the birds get close enough one will be going down. Nice to have an extended archery season. The firearms season is set up with 6 seven day seasons. Archery is open all six seasons. I've got to get out and get my tag purchased.

I got a chance to fire some 3" loads yesterday. Recoil was acceptable to my bum shoulder. Optic zero seems OK. Heavy shot/bismuth results were disappointing. Winchester 'Long Beard XR' results were impressive. At 40 yards, not even a hummingbird would have escaped the pattern and no gaps anywhere in the center 18-20" of the pattern. I'm ready to apply the camo wrap to the barrel and fore arm.
Next thing on the list is placing the pop-up blinds. Grandson wants to bow hunt his gobbler so the blind is a requirement.

Latest posts