first buck of the season

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NOPE, no pics. Last night on the way home from Granddaughter's choir performance, we hit a little forkhorn buck. One of those 'unavoidable' things with no chance of missing. Minivan @ 60 mph and deer @20mph just no chance. Son did the right thing by not trying to swerve and didn't even have time to brake much. Took out right side headlight, fender, and cartwheeled down the side dinging both doors. We manually pulled the fender away from the tire and collected most of the smashed plastic so it didn't shift around and cause more problems. Fortunately, cooling system and such weren't damaged and we made it home w/o a tow. Deer was totaled. And it all happened within city limits of a fairly large town, we were following another vehicle about 100 yards ahead of us and there wasn't a car in sight behind us. Why couldn't the little buck have waited another 15 seconds to cross?

NewRuger41

Bearcat
It'll buff out.

:(

Man sounds like it sucks but humans A-OK which is the best outcome. Did you all saw the antlers off at least for hat Hooks or what not?

contender

Ruger Guru
Glad nobody was hurt,, and vehicles can be fixed. Luckily,, you could drive it.

Sounds almost like what happened to me a year ago at this time. I had a doe hit me,, as she dodged a LEO coming from the opposite direction. Both the LEO & I were around 20-30 mph. She dodged his SUV,, and ran smack dab into my passenger side front end. Hit my brush guard,, but caused it to dent the hood, busted a headlight, got the fender, the edge of the grill, etc. Yet,, even though it flipped her upside down & all, she ran off. We did a search for her.
What was very poor actions by the LEO was that it happened about 100 yds from the "city limits sign." He wouldn't write up the accident report. He called the Highway Patrol,, which took about an hour to arrive. All we needed was a report for our insurance. The HP officer was nice to me,, but I could tell he wasn't happy with the local-yokel.

Yesterday was our muzzleloader opening day. I let a small buck walk.

The deer landed on the shoulder out of traffic and we didn't stop. Son tends to have a fatalistic attitude toward deer strikes. It's gonna happen sooner or later.
I haven't hit one since I retired (the first time) and don't have to drive 50 miles before dawn to work. Prior to that, I considered myself lucky to have only hit 3 or 4 in half million driving miles.
My Cousin drives a day run semi that usually heads out @ 3-4 AM. He hits 1/2 dozen deer per year with the truck. Last week, a buck hit the side of the cab and tore off the fairing and steps.

I hadn't thought about that which would have been exceptionally unfortunate. For the amount of damage done, the impact wasn't all that hard. I was watching the entire sequence from the seat behind the driver and for certain the initial contact was the deer's head on the right headlight cluster. The plastic headlight cluster was smashed into crumbs , the fender was torn loose and bent down, and then the deer cartwheeled down the side. We picked much of the plastic headlight debris out, made sure no wires were shorted out, and manually bent the fender away from the tire. The center grill wasn't damaged nor were any of the oil cooler/engine coolant lines/hoses damaged. Had the deer been 3' further, lots more damage would have been done.
Odd things can happen. I hit a deer with my REAR BUMPER once. For several years my daily commute vehicle was also my primary farm vehicle and had a large 'tow anything' rear bumper that extended past the rear quarter panels by 3-4" to protect those corners when backing up to loading docks and such. One morning I encountered a 'herd' of deer and managed to miss all of them with the front end(not by much) but that 3-4" extended rear bumper caught a hind leg of one. That's close. No damage to the pickup but deer had a broken leg.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hit my one and only deer many years ago in Yosemite park. Ever since then I put deer whistles on all my vehicles, $8. Never hit another but have seen several on the side of the road as if waiting for me to pass because they heard the whistles. Deer whistles do work!

Latest posts