Tumbling Media

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevemb

Hunter
Santa Claus brought me a tumbler yesterday. Well it was my Deputy friend in a Willy Robertson head band w/beard. He likes to show up places in silly Peter Sellers kinda "disguises". But anyway, today I need media. Should I just order what somebody like Midway sells, or what other options do I have. I recall mention of some types of critter bedding sold at Tracor Supply or Farm n Fleet type places ? Suggestions and opinion wanted please. steve

princeout

Blackhawk
Steve,
Here's a thread about it. I bought the Kaytee Walnut Bedding from Amazon and have been happy with it so far.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=210798

Tim

6gun

Hunter
I just use Lyman's corn media, the correct way to clean and polish is to use walnut media to clean, then use corn to polish but that means changing out the media, corn will clean but just takes longer.

A lot of people use other alternate sources of media I just stick with what I know works for me.

stevemb

Hunter
Thanks folks ! Been off goo/hooing at Midway. Then checked the thread ya linked me to. Like the idea of going half n half, corncob and walnut types and a friend here suggested a squirt of one of the poly type car waxes. For all these yrs I've been mostly a backyard shooter and have cleaned my cases by hand with a rag and brass/copper chemical cleaner. Volume and arthritus made me start looking at tumblers.

m657

Buckeye
Last week I finally changed out the last of my "coarse walnut shell" stash. Bought a lifetime supply (25#) at Harbor Freight a mere 14 years ago--think it was $9.99 then.

With a little squirt of Dillon's blue goo it's worked fine for my needs all these years.

Long ago I tried a variety of options, such as rouge-n-etc, corn cob, stuff I don't remember.

What I really favor these days, is a buddy's set up that uses the steel pins & ceramic slurry....but I'd have to buy a new tumbler. My old Lyman 1200 is only on its 35th year, so I'm reluctant to leap into new gear with what I already got....

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I also use the Harbor Freight ground walnut blast media to tumble (cleaning) and corn from Midway for final polish. Dillon polish is also used.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I get my walnut shells and corn cob at the pet store. A shot of case polish keeps it working longer. Don't forget to change out the old media. :D

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I have used basic corn media in the past; but came across some Lyman Turbo Brass Cleaning media (green in color) at a local gun store and decided to try it. It is a corn cob base but has minimal to no dust; so I like it better. Midway sells it.

stevemb

Hunter
Thank You folks ! I went to Tractor Supply and nada. Went to a small local pet store and bought a 10lb bag of Zilla walnut shell stuff meant for reptile bedding. Think I'll trade a friend a few lbs of this for a few lbs of his corn cob media. Dern it, was right near Wal-Mart and an auto parts place and forgot to nab a bottle of the poly wax stuff. Well, I'll try running a batch of .44 hulls later today anyway. Again, thanks. steve

Tom W

Blackhawk
The Nu Finish works well, and has no ammonia. I mixed a squirt of it with the plain untreated corn cob media from Midway and am happy..

RSIno1

Hunter
m657 said:
Last week I finally changed out the last of my "coarse walnut shell" stash. Bought a lifetime supply (25#) at Harbor Freight a mere 14 years ago--think it was $9.99 then.....
There was a guy in NorCal that was selling 50lb sacks for $20. Picked up a bag as soon as the corn wears out I'll be going to walnut with a little NuFinish car wax.

m657

Buckeye
re: "There was a guy in NorCal that was selling 50lb sacks for $20. Picked up a bag as soon as the corn wears out I'll be going to walnut with a little NuFinish car wax."

beware, and only ONE downside to the walnut shells I found:

BE SURE to store it SEALED. My outbuilding/reloading bench had seasonal mice family that hauled in cherry pits, and seemed fascinated with dropping their empties in my (open) sack of walnut shells.

Created problem in the decapper station if you don't keep alert for it. The usual case-media separator needs extra processing especially in 38/357 cases.....or you'll lose some decap pins. Don't ask how I know this.

warren5421

Single-Sixer
Have horses so stay away from walnut as it's bad news for the horses. They can get to garbage cans.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
warren5421 said:
Have horses so stay away from walnut as it's bad news for the horses. They can get to garbage cans.
No horses in my garage and when I buy a bag of walnut shells or corn cob I put it in some old plastic containers like laundry detergent containers. I did have mice get into a bag of corn cob once. :D

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Harbor freight sells blast media that is cleaner and more uniform than lizzard bedding. I buy the finer grade of crushed walnut and it lasts a loooong time and does a good job.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html
It does not plug up the flash holes like corn cob does. I also like to use Dillon polish with it.
For very crusty brass i use walnut media with a couple ounces of turpentine. It cleans them up quick and I love the way my shop smells. Women do not agree with the smell so don`t do it in the house.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Another Harbor Freight Blast Media fan. We have used all kinds over the years, and the Harbor Freight Blast Media with a little treatment added works as good as anything we have used to date.

Bob

Latest posts