Residue left on cases from treated tumbling media

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodsy

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
Washing and drying brass that you just cleaned? I think I would get rid of that media or save it for some really dirty brass. Go back to media with polish and save those extra steps.
Or, even simpler, use an ultrasonic cleaner and forget about tumbling, period. I am forever puzzled about the problems people keep bringing up about tumbling, when all they really need to do is use an ultrasonic cleaner, which does an excellent job, except for shininess. I could not care less about the shine on my cases.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Clovishound said:
mikld said:
Well, I've been working with metal for nearly 60 years and just in my experience/estimation I'd say you'd have to reload several tens of thousands of rounds with sooty case necks to wear any noticeable amount on a sizing die. In theory, maybe carbon (soot) on case necks can wear a sizing die, but in real life, I seriously doubt it...

Well, the issue here is not carbon residue. It's the residue of rouge dust from the treated tumbling media.

And I can tell you from personal experience that tens of thousands of rounds sizing brass with the residue of red jewelers' rouge won't do a measurable thing to carbide sizing dies.

It also appears to do nothing to plain steel. Jewelers rouge is a burnishing compound, not a cutting compound.

mikld

Blackhawk
Clovishound said:
mikld said:
Well, I've been working with metal for nearly 60 years and just in my experience/estimation I'd say you'd have to reload several tens of thousands of rounds with sooty case necks to wear any noticeable amount on a sizing die. In theory, maybe carbon (soot) on case necks can wear a sizing die, but in real life, I seriously doubt it...

Well, the issue here is not carbon residue. It's the residue of rouge dust from the treated tumbling media.
OOPS! I must have been thinking about an other thread?? My apologies... :( I have never even considered rouge in my tumbling media...