Trust your life with a Ruger???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Carry gun of choice if you could have only 1 when the SHTF.

• Ruger

Votes: 103 54.5%
  • Sig

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • Colt

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Glock

Votes: 31 16.4%
  • S&W

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Kimber

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Walther

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Beretta

• H&K

• Total voters

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
My agency issued Speed Sixes and Security Sixes; I carried personally owned Sixes as a firearms instructor land shot them competitively. Rebarrelled two, still have and use them in addition to others that I have given homes to. They have been very good guns, although I have seen one go down on the range and one overhauled one have to go back for action issues. We used to go through ammo by the case, so that says something. Anything can break, but those did it less than anything else in my experience. I only have one GP-100, and the ladies in our family prefer SP-101s. OTOH, I have had a transfer bar break in an NM BKH, so Murphy lives.

I have quite a bit of experience with J and K frame S&Ws, and they are darn good guns, on a par with the old Sixes. I trust them about equally. I want and expect my guns to work, period.

After shooting various 1911s for 50 years now, I trust them if unmolested and I do any work on them--meaning that I don't second guess JMB much. I like BHPs a lot but even they can choke. Granted, they don't do it often.

My experience with centerfire Ruger semi autos has not been very good. I no longer own any, have no interest in guns with bugs. If someone left one on my doorstep I would play with it but that's about all.

Frankly I am ok with one (or two) good revolvers. If I want more power on tap I will just keep a long gun close to hand. I have had better luck with M4s and M4geries than any semiautos other than the 1911.

concretus

Bearcat
In a SHTF scenario. I agree with some of the others; I'd mainly carry an AK with a Springfield XD40 as a combat sidearm. I CC an SR40 all the time and feel totally confident that it will perform at the moment of truth. I had the Galloway trigger, rod guide and a 22lbs spring installed and it functions flawlessly. I polished the feed ramp w/ a dremel and jeweler's rougue and even feeds my handload LSWC so smooth.

Sure. They're the only pistols I own. My SR9 and SR1911 would top my list or SHTF time. GP100 for fail-safe. LCR last to go. All have performed flawlessly. Well, maybe my Mossberg 500 too.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
If I had to go into a gun fight with one of my currently owned hand guns the choice would be easy: my police trade in 1967 S&W 10-5 with my own reloads. I just shoot it better than any other handgun I own and for the record I'm 34, hardly an old wheelgun-only codger (nothing wrong with that, just sayin'). Close second would be my P95.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I didn't vote because I have the following guns and I MAKE SURE that they are all 100% reliable .A P-95, Gen 3 Glock G17,Taurus PT-92,2 Walther PPS 9 MM,a highly customized Kimber T.L.E.II,A 3" ronnd butt finger grove grip S&W 657 .41 mag, , A 4" M-82 Taurus .As for the revolvers their relibalty is a gimmie .The auto's all get 500 rounds through them without any F.T.F. or whatever before I'll carry them so nomatter what I grag I'd trust my life to it .If it won't pass the 500 round test I trade it off for something else .A lot of the time with auto's the mag is the cause of moast of the F.T.F's you encounter so as long as you take good care of your mags and find ammo the the gun likes both reaiblaly and accuracy wise your good to go .Do I have a favriote ,yes my Kimber,but all the rest will do the job .
Lou

Unk

Bearcat
SP101 in .327 until could get to my Glock 21SF, a high cap .45 ACP and then only to get to my M4ergy. I've learned that when your plan "A" turns to mud best have a "B", "C" and so forth on deck.

Best.

4banger

Bearcat
Though I have carried a SP101 for a long time, I would have to pick my CZ75BD. It is just a solid gun that shoots very well.

bigun

Bearcat
Would I trust my Ruger yes, I love my SR9C would it be my first choice in a SHTF scenario? No that would be my Springfield Loaded Stainless 1911. I have much more confidence in the .45 ACP and I know what it takes to make a 1911 keep on ticking.

P95man

Bearcat
On the post's question; "YES!" Ruger P95DAO/PC9/Speed Six 9mm or any number of other Rugers.

Guns are tools, select the right one for the mission at hand.

As to SHTF question; I carry 4 different handguns depending on the day and what I am doing; Glock 17 (Gen 1), Ruger P95DAO, S&W M-64, S&W M-642.

The 642 most of the time because of carry modes; pocket, belt (fanny) pack, belt holster, ankle or IWB

The G17, P95 and M-64; belt holster, belt pack or IWB

I train and qualify with all 4, in all carry modes, so any will do me fine.

Knowing the S is going to HTF; Colt AR-15 SP1 (rifle or carbine), Colt AR-15 9mm, Ruger PC9, H&K 91, SA M1A, AKM, Mossberg 500/590. Again I train and qual with all.

Love the P95DAO/PC9 combo both great guns of which neither get the credit they deserve, IMHO. If limited to one caliber that would likely be my choice.

dunk50

Bearcat
It does not matter what brand gun, how expensive it was or what style!! Any gun you own / buy you need to know it, shoot it and own it!! When your comfortable and I do mean comfortable with it, Trust it!! I am 66 and carry two guns all the time. One is none, two is one. The one in my wallet holster is always there. When I leave the house I carry another.

cb4017

Bearcat
I do trust a Ruger. When I first became a LEO I carried an early P-85. It was very reliable and accurate enough that I shot "Top-Gun" at the academy. But, fast forward 20 years. During that time my agency decreed that we would carry the Glock 22 or 23. I put many thousands of rounds through mine while attending various firearms instructor courses and some competition. I was also a Glock Armorer during most of that 20 years. My duty G22 was presented to me upon my retirement. To answer the question, if I could only have one handgun it would be my G22. That being said, my LC9 is usually in my pocket when I leave the house.

Chad86

Bearcat
I am relying on ruger sr9. I'm not the the type to trade, buy and own a minimum of 10 handguns at any given time. I keep one at a time so I put it through the ringer to ensure my safety. Just traded xd40 for sr9 so hopefully I made a good move.

werewolf

Bearcat
I guess if this was the Glock or Sig forums etc.etc. the top pick would be one of those.My opinion is any gun by a reputable manufacturer that has been tested out would be trustworthy.

RUGERFAN357

Bearcat
As something to carry, yes it is my SR9c. But if I am going into something and did not have to carry it all day, it would be my 12 gauge. Just saying.

stevenwr

Bearcat
I have a CZ sp01 shadow, a customized Norinco 1911 and a P89. If I had to trust my life to one of these guns it'd be the P89. Over 12,000 rounds and not a hiccup.