Tried Something New

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kentdep

Single-Sixer
I really like the looks of the 50th Flattops but I have to admit that in the above pictures, my eyes go straight to the grips! Nice job once again CaryC!

Jay

caryc

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Pretty neat.

Gonna try other colors?

Just curious.

:)

Got to thinking about that question. Now, I'm curious. What colors did you have in mind? Were you thinking more along the lines of wood colors or actual colors like Green or Blue or something else?

Didn't really have anything in particular in mind, just wondering if you were going to continue the experiments.

Nice wood can sometimes be made even nicer by the use of more traditionally-colored stains, and I have seen some nice ones. But you have started something with that "kinda natural but not quite" red thing there.

I'd be interested in seeing anything you'd consider trying. Never can tell . . . you might start a trend.

In the spirit of the season, ". . . and if enough people did it, they might think it's a movement!"

;) :) ;)

caryc

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Didn't really have anything in particular in mind, just wondering if you were going to continue the experiments.

Nice wood can sometimes be made even nicer by the use of more traditionally-colored stains, and I have seen some nice ones. But you have started something with that "kinda natural but not quite" red thing there.

I'd be interested in seeing anything you'd consider trying. Never can tell . . . you might start a trend.

In the spirit of the season, ". . . and if enough people did it, they might think it's a movement!"

;) :) ;)

I've had this set on that anniversary gun ever since I made them and have kept the gun out in viewing distance. They really look much better in person and the more I look at them the more I like them.

But I have this insane vision going through my mind of "How would they look if green?" Don't know if I can muster up the nerve to try it though. :wink:

A guy on another forum suggested I try white. He thought with the grain showing through, it might be interesting. The trouble is that white is not a color and I have seen a white dye, it is an aniline dye and not nearly as highly viscous as the dye I used. It would be like white wash and just cover up the grain.

caryc

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Hey, there's green "camoflage laminate" gunstocks out there.

Go for it.

Another thought . . . dyed holly?!?

Yeah....I was kind of picturing "Kid Leprechaun" at a SAA shoot !! Strange thoughts running around in my head right now. You wouldn't want to be in there with me. I'm kind of picturing a nice emerald green. :shock:

Holly is the perfect candidate for dyes since it is so white in the first place. But good clear Holly is not that easy to get so I hate to screw it up. But I guess I could picture a kind of caramel color on it. I've always thought an actual grey gun grip would be nice too, if it showed the grain through it. Kind of the color of old weathered would left out in the elements.

no5shooter

Bearcat
I really like these red grips on the blue gun, but carrying along the idea of other colors, consider green or blue or gray on a stainless gun. I like your thought about a caramel color with the blue steel too.

Shadow

Single-Sixer
Cary -
These are sweet! Have you considered using a combination of dyes on some exotic burls with interesting tight burl characteristics and good natural color contrast like: Box Elder Burl, Mesquite Burl, Maple Burl or Turkish/ French Walnut Crotch Burls. Black dye with some brown and red or green or gray could produce something extremely unique, don't you think. As you know, each piece of burl wood will react differently to the dyes, so experimenting would create a vast assortment of interesting results! Nice work on the red dyed oak ..... nothing less than what we'd come to expect from the double CC grip master! Thanks for sharing.
Shadow

operator

Bearcat
Those red grips are perfect!!!!I have some really nice straight grain Hickory, gonna have to give it a try. Thanks Operator