The Springfield XDS....Almost clueless about this gun,Want info and opinions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GhosT

Blackhawk
The XDS, HAVE ALMOST NO CLUE ABOUT THEM,BUT ABOUT TO BUY ONE...LOL

OK, I never buy a gun that clueless about, but might this week. Here is the story.

Co-worker, guessing 24 years old, 6' 4-5'', prolly 275lb.s lol a mountain of a man .....has became a new fast/ work friend to my 63 year ass that is about to retire in less than 2 months. Knows I'm a gun guy, makes an unreal offer...
Before gun details, get, known this guy 8 months....he NEVER LIES TO ME!

He owns a Springfield XDS 9mm , not sure if MOD1 or MOD2 ,yes researching,know the differences between them.
Betting only handgun he's ever owned.....less than 100 rounds fired through it { I actually believe him on that, now he wants to lose it cause wants a .45acp gun}
Before I tell ya price, he is giving me first option to buy , if I don't someone at work will get it at the same price.

The price..........................$200.00 dollars!
Even if it's MOD1 that has to be an incredible deal!
And again....know this guy well.....believe him when he says less than 100 rounds through it.
{Fun side-note, been thinking about wanting a smaller,concealable 9mm for over a year.}

Lets assume MOD1,
Asked him to send pic.s can tell which version, regardless...anybody that knows this gun....tell me about it please.

Know striker fire/ Glock type trigger.Trigger pull around 7.5 pounds. Never owned a Glock type/striker fire before, but
not intimidated by that.

If memory serves comes with 2 different size magazines. more than 7 ,less than 10....again not an issue.
Enough rounds for it's purpose.

At 200 bucks ,odds are might buy this.

That said,
Anybody that owns one....please post ...pros and cons?

GhosT

Last edited:
I had one in .45 for a couple years, as a mate to my fullsize Springfield XD45 and my Springfield 1911 stainless .45. I sold them when I decided to have just one handgun caliber (10mm). They are suitable, but never really felt great to me (except the Champion 1911). But for $200, I'd even buy it and have to buy 9mm ammo. That's a great price for a nice CC pistol.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
I had a Mod1 .45, regrettably traded away, that I'd gladly buy all over again at that price...

My experiences with the XD series has been positive all the way. Son carries a 9mm (not sure of model). Cousin carries an XDM(?) in 45 ACP. I've shot the XDM and it's top notch so expect the XDS to be similar.

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I worked at a small hardware that had a gun counter before we left VA at the end of 2020. As a clerk, I could snag most anything inbound sometimes at store cost, others with a modest markup. During those days, I took home more iron than silver. I think that's in the neighborhood, maybe even considering that it was four years ago, and in my current, non-gun shop employee status, I'd be on that like a dang hobo on a ham sandwich.

FWIW, I've seen standard XDs sell used on GunBroker for around $200, but the buyers are also paying sales tax, shipping & transfer fee on top of the winning bid. So, $200 sounds great for a nearly-new firearm, especially if you don't have to find an FFL to handle the transfer where you live.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

Doc_Holidude

Bearcat
I have an xds mod2 in .40 that is my main ccw, and it functions perfectly, and shoots plenty good for it's purpose. I also have an xds mod 2 osp in 9mm that's in a stash spot that is also perfectly reliable. Buy it! For two bills it's well worth it!

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I have an XDM-Elite in 45 acp. Like it a lot. Just waiting to wring out any kinks and it just might become my EDC. Rave reviews
on-line!!!!

I did remove the mag well on mine .It felt a trifle cumbersome with it and conceals bett w/oit and my little finger still has plnty of room to grip.

XP100

Blackhawk
My 45 XDS MOD2 has never gave me a problem Factory od reloads both feed fine. Easier to carry than my Springfield 1911too.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Wow,
16 responses in 5 days.
THANK YOU ALL.
:)

Talked to him today, Description of grips and sites ,odds are MOD 1, which isn't an issue.

But ,turns out he isn't offering this gun to others , just me , gonna take my time on this one.

Between the replies to this thread and researched the gun more, know at 200 bucks,
this gun is a great deal!---A STEAL.

But,
Like I said before, he's young, and young to owning guns, not gonna take advantage of this new inexperienced friend.

Not saying I won't buy it eventually...and at that price...lol...but gonna make DAMN SURE he knows what he's got, and the choice he's making first.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think still plenty safe still using the Magna-ported , Crimson Trace laser gripped , SP101 .357 magnum,
bottom/middle of this pic. for concealed carry ;)

100_9042.png

Bought all these Ruger handguns new in the 1990's, still my most trusted guns.
Two Magna-ported ,two wears Crimson Traced grips, 2 wears night sites,all reliable , and none show any real wear.
Safe Bet...LOVE RUGER 1990'S HANDGUNS.

(y)

GhosT

P.S.
Apologize for the quality of the pic ,but might find this amusing.

That pic, was taken prolly year 2000?,with cheap digital camera back then.
Hopefully,in a few months from now, after I retire , pictures posted will be better cause...and here is the funny part....
Bought my first...non-land line phone!....end of last November.....63 year old dinosaur.

Bought an Iphone 15 ,...Was a clues dumbass so prolly wasted like 300 bucks more on it for MAXIMUM MEMORY.THINKING HALF A TERRA-BITE.....lol.!

Well ,safe bet, won't run outta space ;)

Last edited:

Threespears

Single-Sixer
I had my apprentice sell to me a Springfield XD 40, and a Ruger
10-22.
He wanted $400 for the set.

Not knowing anything about the XD series, I wasn't overly interested in it.
However he really needed the money. I gave him $500 and told him he had a year to buy them back at that price

Because of that XD40 I have become a fan of Springfield.
I have put a lot of ammo through that pistol

pawncop

Blackhawk
FWIW, I never shot the XD series well. My S I L had two, 9mm and 40 S&W. I think they are well made but just not for me.