The latest on "slide-stop"/"release" con

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Post refers to SR9 and SR9c pistols: The "con" means controversy."
This has been debated ad nauseum on this site, but I wanted to give you an up-to-the-minute update. Yes, it is called a Slide Stop in the instruction manual and in the parts list.
HOWEVER, in the manual on page 20, Point #3 of Reloading, the manual says: "Release the slide to move forward by either depressing the rear portion of the slide stop or pulling the slide fully to the rear and release it. A cartridge will be chambered when the slide shuts." That's clear enough.
Of course, it seems fairly universal that noone can close the slide by merely depressing the slide stop, although a few posters tell me that their guns work just fine in that regard.
Was on the phone with Ruger yesterday. They are "defending" it as a Slide-Stop ONLY, saying that using it as a slide-release would be hard on the springs and may cause early malfunctions. I am not aware of differences between the SR9c and Colt 1911 designs, so I won't judge. Generally, Peggy at Ruger Service is a knowledgeable employee and has been very accommodating. I am, however, a big fan of using the slide-release on my Colts.
Just read a magazine training article on manipulating the slide, trying to change mags (in a supposed gunfight) with your off-hand only, and it looks like a whole lot of trouble.
In addition, Mas Ayoob just wrote up a May/June AMERICAN HANDGUNNER article detailing the Florida panhandle execution-style murder of two senior deputies by a military-trained wife-abuser. The deputies were killed during the attempted-arrest/confrontation at a local shooting range. The perp was Tasered but came up shooting after the 5-second Taser current stopped. The two multiply-injured deputies, both with wounded or broken shoulders/forearms, no backup weapons and at least one empty weapon at slide-lock, finally had only one working arm between them and were executed by the perp with head-shots, close-up, at that time. One deputy with one unwounded arm still had a full spare mag and was apparently attempting to reload his shot-empty Glock 22 when he was executed.
Dear Ruger Engineers: I guess I'm trying to say that I want my slide-stop to work as a slide-release, as advertised in your literature. There are situations where the slingshot method either becomes too slow or too involved to be effective. It may become a matter of life-and-death.
I am aware that quite a few folks with SR's and SR9c's have operational slide-releases, but many of us do not. Refer to page 20, User Manual.
Sonnytoo

sdsponger

Bearcat
I've only had my SR9 a few weeks. I'm not sure if this is the norm or not, but my slide stop works as a slide release without a mag being inserted. If I have a mag inserted (full or empty), the slide stop will never release despite how hard I press.

Seems odd to me...

Good post Sonny

pamato18

Bearcat
My SR9 slide stop works as a slide release both without a mag and with a mag. It is definitely a little stiff, but has lightened up with time. I like the ability to chamber a round with a quick push on the slide release.

resident

Single-Sixer
Newcomer to the discussion. (Guessing by the above replies this is in reference to the SR9 only, perhaps.) But my recently acquired P97 slide stop will work satisfactorily as a slide release, but does require a firm action by the thumb. It ain't gonna happen by accident.
However, the Manual specifies on pg 9 item 5, that to load and fire (with a magzine), "Hold the pistol firmly in the shooting hand but do not touch the trigger.... With the thumb and forefinger of the other hand grasp the rear of the slide and pull the slide to the rear as far as it will go. ... When released the slide will fly forward to strip the top cartridge from the magazine and chamber it...."

No mention is made anywhere that the slide may be released by depressing the slide stop in this section of the Manual.

HOwever..... on page 14, item 3, "to reload the pistol"..."Release the slide to move forward by either depressing the rear portion of the slide stop or pulling the slide fully to the rear, depress the slide stop, and release the slide...."

jhearne

Buckeye
Sonnytoo":1tirenwa said:
Was on the phone with Ruger yesterday. They are "defending" it as a Slide-Stop ONLY, saying that using it as a slide-release would be hard on the springs and may cause early malfunctions.

Sorry for the long post....been MIA for a few days (gotta catch up;)).

I don't buy that one, which spring(s)? The Recoil/Guide Rod Spring? Gotta say doubtful on that one. Sling Shotting the Slide and using the Stop as a release puts no significantly different effect on the Recoil Spring as the other does. Sling Shotting should put a worse effect on it since your pulling it back another 1/8-1/4" to release the Slide Stop. IMHO, doing it either way is fine so as long as your able to do so with a properly functioning gun. You'll end up doing more damage to the Slide (at the notch) and/or the Stop/Release from wear and tear since it's a pretty heavy friction point.

If they meant the Spring that pulls down the Slide Stop or the Mag Spring I'd kinda laugh. Springs are easier to replace, fitting a slide takes more effort and time (return to Ruger).

Personally, I try to mentally make myself sling-shot it because I'd like there to be no wear and tear from over using the Slide Stop as a release incase I did really need to use it.

If they really wanted to keep people from using the Stop as a Release, they'd make the stop a small notch with a positive ledge that fully engaged the Stop. This would make releasing the slide impossible (via Slide Release) unless you modified that part of the Slide. (Imagine a backwards L Shaped ledge with a slot cut back for the Stop to fit in, the ledge wouldn't let you push the lever down to release the slide, only real way to chamber the gun would be to slingshot it)

Bear in mind that slingshotting a slide does NOT always require 2 hands. Some firearms, like the SR9 have large enough rear sights to allow racking the slide from a steady object. Door Jambs, Car Doors, pants pockets, desks...etc....I'm not calling the officers dumb for not thinking of this in the heat of things, as I wouldn't either I'm sure. But it is important to be able to release the slide one handed. Also, in that situation, a taser isn't the best 'first choice' weapon on someone who is already present with a loaded weapon. Deadly force present against LEOs SHOULD result in a return of force in equal or greater measure from the Good Guys. Tasers are good on perps who won't go down when you and the other LEOs can't physically bring down an unarmed or drugged up suspect. But their Slide Releases/Stops should've been able to do the job for loading the weapon(s). The trouble is if they were needing to operate the gun Left Handed. The controls on 100% of the pistols I've seen (minus safety levers) have been Righty ONLY. I expect a cop to have a taser ready or gun ready if they approach me. When/If I get pulled over it's usually because I'm suspected of doing something wrong and gives the LEO no reason to trust me from the first point of contact.

Back on-topic

@sdsponger:
If the Mag is inserted empty, it's supposed to be harder as the Follower inside the mag pushes against the Slide Stop in tandem with the friction from the Stop holding the Slide back. With a full mag or no mag inserted (shouldn't make a difference, otherwise there's an issue with the mag interfering with the Slide Stop) it should work, but still require some effort to perform. Remember the Recoil Spring is quite stout and since it's compressed almost to it's max compression, it's going to be applying quite a good deal of force (friction) to the contact point between the Slide and Slide Stop.

It's should be able to be used as a Slide Release if need be, but it's best since the design of the Stop is thin to sling shot it. 1911's have a beefy solid release, as do other all metal guns so releasing the slide either way has no real negative consequence throughout the life of the gun.

Josh

bigfanofsr9

Bearcat
My new SR9 (serial begins with 331) has a slide STOP, and will not RELEASE unless I slingshot. I noticed on yuutube that nutnfancy seems to use his as a slide release, and can chamber the round with just one hand. I too, am interested in being able to do this. If someone finds a fix, please let us know.

alienbogey

Bearcat
I'd be interested in a bigger slide stop as an aftermarket upgrade in order to make it easier to use the slide stop as a release.

I'd also kind of like a larger safety as well.

bigfanofsr9

Bearcat
bigfanofsr9":pw9osi1d said:
My new SR9 (serial begins with 331) has a slide STOP, and will not RELEASE unless I slingshot. I noticed on yuutube that nutnfancy seems to use his as a slide release, and can chamber the round with just one hand. I too, am interested in being able to do this. If someone finds a fix, please let us know.

OK, so after posting this, I decided to try some exercises and see if I could get it to "release". At first I had to use a fair amount of pressure, but after 10 times, I'm able to release the slide with my thumb every time. Now, I can't decide if I should leave well enough alone, and just slingshot to release the slide saving my gun for the day when I have to use one hand to reload.....OR throw caution to the wind, and do what feels right and ask Ruger to fix it should it ever become a problem.

History: I tried the slide lock as a release when the gun was new. I've since put 450 rounds through it, and the spring has lightened making racking much easier. I think the spring loosening has helped the "release" issue.

scmartin23

Bearcat
Right or wrong, I have 7500 rounds through my SR9 and ALWAYS have used my "slide stop" as my "slide release". Just my 2 cents.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
bigfanofsr9":13wp7n43 said:
Now, I can't decide if I should leave well enough alone, and just slingshot to release the slide saving my gun for the day when I have to use one hand to reload

I believe that, in an emergency, your actions will mimic your practice. So that means, to me, that I should ALWAYS use a slide-release if available. It seems to be obvious that a slide-release makes one-handed operation much easier.

First, I have to figure out what is necessary to make my slide-stop operational as a slide-release.
And...if those parts break due to overuse, I'll try to get it fixed.
Sonnytoo

shott8283

Bearcat
new member, first post I stumbled on. My SR9's slide stop also acts perfectly as a slide release regardless of an empty or loaded mag is inserted or the mag well is empty.

I have made it a practice to let the slide return under control instead of slamming the slide home by using the stop as a release.

jhearne

Buckeye
Wouldn't let the gun come home under control, your asking for feed issues. Was always taught and told: "Let the tn do the work."

Josh

michael hacker

Bearcat
bigfanofsr9":1kah6nj1 said:

My SR9's slide lock works well as a release, but I had to file and polish the stop notch in the slide itself. You will see very clearly that the notch on the side of slide is sharp and deep, so a bit of filling does the trick. I will have to do the same with the compact. Ruger is correct though, that is a slide lock, not a release. Slingshoting it is technically the more correct way to use the slide stop. Hopes this helps...

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

resident

Single-Sixer
michael hacker":2mn11yhj said:
My SR9's slide lock works well as a release, but I had to file and polish the stop notch in the slide itself. You will see very clearly that the notch on the side of slide is sharp and deep, so a bit of filling does the trick. I will have to do the same with the compact. Ruger is correct though, that is a slide lock, not a release. Slingshoting it is technically the more correct way to use the slide stop. Hopes this helps...

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

Gee, Michael,... I don't mean to be argumentive but, not having seen your work and going only on your description, I think that was a very incorrect thing to do.

That slide is an expensive and critical, primary part of the firearm. If I wanted to relieve the effort necessary to release the slide-stop I'd have lightened up the spring inside the lever itself ...not file/grind away on an almost irreplaceable slide.

I urge you to reconsider before you do that to any more of your guns.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Hey Mike and Resident,
I definitely want my SR9c to function as a slide-release. I will do as necessary, springs or whatever. Or, I will sell the gun.
Sonnytoo

jhearne

Buckeye
The Torsion Spring that actuates it is in the Camblock assembly and pushes it down. The Mag Follower pushes the Slide Lock up when the Mag is empty. Changing the springs won't effect much, you'll end up with diminishing returns as the friction you still have to overcome from the slide is too much to get by with help from heavier springs only. The best option is to smooth up the slide notch and smooth the contact point on the lever.

DSC_0275-1.jpg

Filing a decent chunk of metal off the slide would have to be a last resort to get it to function, but polishing it should help.

Josh

pamato18

Bearcat
I don't understand how slingshotting could cause any less wear to the gun or frame than using the slide stop as a release. Mine was a bit stiff at first, but after using it a bit it works flawlessly. Still stiff, won't happen by accident, but when I want it to go it does. I both use the slide stop as a release and also use 2 hands to slingshot. Doesn't seem like makes any difference.

jhearne

Buckeye
pamato, it's only causing less wear to the slide/stop contact point. If the notch is as bad as claimed, using it as a release can cause wear or damage to the Lever or Slide. Would think the Lever would see the most damage (stamped steel vs Machined SS....SS should win). As for the gun returning to battery under it's own force, it's no less abusive than shooting it. Each cycle is as violent as sling shotting or using the stop as a release. It makes no real difference on the Slide/Frame as to how you choose to chamber a new mag.

Would someone with a "Hard or impossible to use" Slide Stop lever please take pics of the Lever and Notch up close to see the detail of the cut Ruger made?

Mine works fine and after work I can take pics as well.

Josh

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
My 9c is at Ruger getting the inoperative thumb safety replaced, as per their request. Once I get it back, I'd be happy to take some photos.
Thanks for the ones you posted on this thread, by the way.
Sonnytoo

offshorebear

Bearcat
Mine slide release is hard as hell to use with an empty mag, but when I don't need to fight the follower on an empty mag its easy. Try it without a mag or a loaded mag and it should be much easier.