P95 Mag Release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

From JAYDAWG:

Please enlighten me......................

Good question, hope we get a reply... but then it might start a religious debate......

I re-read the original post and I think the key is "old Ruger P95". I'm now betting it is just gunked up,
Also found (thank you Blume) that it could very well be very DRY. Had a problem with mine and after mush swapping parts Blume liberally LUBED it. Works fine now

HBWL

Bearcat
Things you could try:

Thorough Cleaning: Make sure the area around the mag release is clean and free of any dirt, debris, or fouling. Sometimes a buildup of grime can cause the mag release to stick.

Disassembly and Inspection: If cleaning doesn't work, you might need to disassemble the mag release and inspect it for damage or wear. There could be a spring or other part that needs to be replaced.

Lubrication: It's good that you've already tried some lubricants, but you might want to try a different one, like a silicone-based lubricant or a dry lubricant like graphite. These can sometimes work better than traditional oils.

Filing and Smoothing: If the problem persists, you might need to file or smooth out the mag release or the surrounding area. This should be done very carefully, as you don't want to damage the gun or make the problem worse.

roylt

Hunter
I would not mess with the mags. The pistol has the issue. There is just a little "tit" that sticks out to engage the mag. Check it out and see if there is a bur or something on it. On the 95 model it will be very hard to clean it up when the part is installed though.

Do keep us posted if you get it figured out.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

I'm not going to look back and read all 'our' post but I wonder from your recent post if you possibly have mags for an older, first edition, P89?
How many magazines do you have for this pistol? I could send you one of mine to try.

edit: well I just tried this, original P89 mags, in a P95 and could not really tell the difference but I do have to say after spending the last 8-9 years shooting Sig P pistols and all my Ruger P95's and 89's put away I really don't like the mag release on the P95. I is much harder to engage than on my other pistols... even the Glocks
This P95 belonged to my son, who was a casualty in the Station Night Club Fire. It sat for a couple of years before I had the heart to take it out. It needed a good cleaning and light lubing to make it perform well.
I have 3 10 round mags that came with the pistol, and, living in RI which has a 10 round limit, about 4 17 round mags that came from CDNN for the P95 seem to have emigrated to Arizona, where they languish while waiting for the ban to be repealed. They all were an exercise in thumb strength to eject from the P95.