The Diminutive SP 101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ColColt

Bearcat
I was at the gun shop today to pick up a NIB 6906 and while waiting for all the red tape to go through, I noticed they had two SP 101's-both DAO in 2 1/2". Beside those was a S&W 686 with a six inch barrel. What a contrast in size. The Ruger was so much smaller. I asked the guy to let me handle it a bit and it really felt great. I asked if he'd ever shot this model and he said yes-"It's a sweet pistol...almost manageable".

My question relates to his comment. Is the SP 101 really that bad in terms of recoil? He more or less indicated it was.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
We happen to own 3 SP-101's around here. I feel they are very easy to handle. So do most of the ladies who shoot them in our NRA WOT clinics.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I shoot a SP 101 2 1/4" 38 special. It gobbles any +p and the recoil is not harsh. It is my pocket companion and I would pick it over a Colt detective or a smith 640 series. hth greg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If you can find another small 5-shot .357mag revolver it won't shoot as good as the Ruger SP 101. I like the 3" barrel. End of story. :D :D

...Jimbo

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I've gone through a half dozen .38 spl and .357 mag revolvers as "field guns" in the last 10 years, and finally found the ultimate companion in a 3" DA/SA SP101. It fits my hand much better than the Security Six I traded off several years ago, and handles recoil every bit as good. As a matter of fact, the SP101 shooting 158 gr magnums is much more pleasant to shoot than my (former) S&W 637 airweight with .38 spl target loads.

I have made it a point to never take advice from the salesman, whether guns, cars, computers, etc., as they are generally going to steer you to whatever the boss says to push that day whether they really know anything about the product or not.

surv

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I have owned a stainless Chief's Special and the airweight version both. I also own 3 SP-101s. I find the quality, accuracy and controllability far better with the SPs. I have also tried all the grips, Houge, Trausch etc. So far I go back to the factory grip for comfort and its the smallest too.

Knuckles

Buckeye
It's a great small gun with enough metal to take care of most of the 357mag recoil.

As do many Ruger models, it can pinch or bite your finger on a sharp edge (like the trigger back for me) depending on your grip of the gun, but it's very easy to smooth off any sharp edges around the trigger and hammer.

They are the overall BEST! ............ IMO
Picture156-1.jpg

flyguy958

Bearcat
I have the 3" version and have no trouble with 38's or 357. Factory grips or Pachmayr work great. If you want to fancy it up get some Badger grips.

ColColt

Bearcat
There's a gun show next weekend and I should be able to run across one or two there. This is Glock country around here so SP 101's won't be plentiful and the few gun shops left usually don't have a great selection of anything. One of the better ones has gone over to only selling to LE.

Judging from ammo prices today, looks like this will yet be another one I'll have to reload for. The last 357 I had was way back in 1974-a S&W M28. I reloaded then, mostly JHP, all of which were cheap back then. Today at $1-1.75 a shot for factory ammo, it may behoove me to reload.

45K20E4

Bearcat
I love mine. It's been my carry weapon for 7 years, and I have put ~ 2,000 rounds through it.

Here is a video of the recoil (I am 5'11, 250lbs). I am using my own loads: 158gr jacketed bullets with 14.0gr of 2400. They have considerably more kick than the 125gr Hyrda-shocks that I actually carry with.

No, I normally don't shoot SA, but I was shooting much farther (20 yards) than I normally train with this weapon (DA @ 7-15 yards) and it was mostly for camera purposes.

Mods: Mild polish job on the internals, Wolff spring kit, Hogue finger groove grip.

Spsmall.jpg

ColColt

Bearcat
It looks like the little short barrel has a bit of kick to it. But, most 357's do. I'm sure it's no worse than my S&W 457 with 230 gr Ranger T ammo, however.

I'm 5'9" and about 162(age shrinks you-use to be 5'-10").It's just been so long since I've shot a revolver in any caliber I had forgotten how they even feel. I believe the 3" version would be the best bet for me. It just looks like it balances better although I've only been able to try the shorter barrel due to local availability.

I don't think I've read or heard a discouraging word from anyone about the SP 101. Must be one heck of a revolver.

pyth0n

Buckeye
knuckles said:
It's a great small gun with enough metal to take care of most of the 357mag recoil.

As do many Ruger models, it can pinch or bite your finger on a sharp edge (like the trigger back for me) depending on your grip of the gun, but it's very easy to smooth off any sharp edges around the trigger and hammer.

They are the overall BEST! ............ IMO
Picture156-1.jpg

+1. What grips are those in the picture?

pyth0n

Buckeye
I remember now, I think. Are those the Uncle Mikes boot grips? They look like them and they're not made any more, I believe.

Snobal

Bearcat
My 3" SP101 with Hogue grips is my favorite "do everything" revolver.

Over the years I've had everything from derringers to 8" N-Frame S&W's and long-barreled TC's, but that little SP101 does a fair job at everything I expect from a revolver.

I have smaller revolvers, lighter revolvers, bigger, and heavier.

For me, the size and weight of the 3"SP101 is just perfect. :D

Prior to getting the 3" SP101, my selection for "if I could only have one revolver" would have been a 4" GP100 --- But not now after a year and over 1,600 rounds through the SP101.

Wish I had it about 40 years ago when we went out most weekends (except for deer season) and shot jackrabbits. That little SP101 with cast BBWC's and a "warm" load would be the cat's pajamas!

JMHO

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
I have one that has served in France. No. It has not been dropped. The stock grip has been modified for attachment of a lanyard. Very useful variant. It is a .38 Special and has French proof marks. Calthrop

Hugh

Buckeye
Welcome to the forum.

SP-101. Mine is a 2-1/4" .357. I really like it. I have shot .38, .38 Spl+P, and .357 Magnum from .125 gr through Buffalo Bore 180 gr. The .357 is quite manageable; although the Buffalo Bore 180 gr, which I had not intended to shoot, has quite a hearty recoil. The 180 gr is not my first choice for the SP-101. I am looking forward to getting a SP-101 with 3-1/16" barrel in .357 Magnum.

Knuckles

Buckeye
pyth0n said:
I remember now, I think. Are those the Uncle Mikes boot grips? They look like them and they're not made any more, I believe.

You are correct!... last distributed by the "Butler Creek Co." :)

GhosT

Blackhawk
Colcolt,

Of course a SP101 with full blown loads are a handful!
LUCKILY, it is a gun that can handle a shitload of different level of loads!

JMHO of course, but the factory grips material(same as in my GP100 and my
.44 magnum Super REDHAWK)...really helps eating recoil.

Now, proving myself a liar, look at my SP101....

The grips are hard plastic CRIMSON TRACE LASER GRIPS...

100_9040-1.jpg

Now look closer at the barrel.

I had it magnaported........That helps with felt recoil too!

You said those two were DAO's...thats a whole other can of worms...

But I would personally recommend the SP101.
Ya can load it to the level yer comfortable with, and with practice, ya can learn to handle the hotter loads!

It is an accurate , reliable,self defense gun.

Try finding a post...where somebody says regrets buying one!!!!!!
:lol: