Test run SP101 38Spec today.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I finally got around to shooting the SP101 from a rest today while dialing in the CT grips I got a couple of weeks back. There are good things and things I don't care for.
1: Markedly different point of impact for different loads which I haven't encountered before.
2: Point of impact is drastically off point of aim with the ammo I'd like to use. 6" high and 3" left
3: Accuracy is exceptional with the WWB 125 grain +P HP. Final 3 shots using the laser resulted in a 1" group @ 15 yards.
I haven't tried all the loads on inventory but may later. It's no problem when using the laser but a PITB using the sights when they're that far off. Since I haven't shot a little revolver like the SP much, I may be able to improve the POI spread with more shooting. As it is, I can live with it as an occasional carry piece when I want a smaller package.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
2: Point of impact is drastically off point of aim with the ammo I'd like to use. 6" high and 3" left.
What is the ammo and what is the range? My 130gr Federal Hydro-shok 38+P specials shoot a little low and my 357 magnums (158gr) shoot right on target at around 50'. There is quite a bit of muzzle flip with the heavier more powerful rounds. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

mjh

Single-Sixer
I've found 158gr bullets from mild 38's to 38+p to full load 357's usually have the best groups and point of impact. But then again I don't know much about loads and balistics, just my expereinces at the range.

louiethelump

Buckeye
If it consistently shoots high, you could replace the front sight with one for the 327 or 32 mag and the taller front sight would bring the point of impact down.................

78CJ5

Bearcat
The SP101 38/357 is built around the 158 grain load. and will shoot better with this load I have found.

The SD carry load I prefer is the Winchester USA 125 +P HP which strikes a full 6" high and 3" left @ 15 yards. I have some 158 swaged lead HP +P handloads which I haven't tried yet. These are fairly impressive performers as tested on deer carcasses and wet newsprint out of a 4" Sec 6.
If those don't improve the POI problem, I'll get a front sight for a 32 and see how that goes.

jslshooter

Bearcat
I have a 3" SP101 .38 only and outside of 158grn fmjs,Winchester PDX1 130grn+P bonded jhps hit right on target for me. Specifically,at 15ft I'm printing 1.5" groups with double action only.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Try a variety of 38 specials so you can get a feel if it is your favorite round that is shooting high and left or are all of them? In theory 38's should shoot a little low with an SP. Trigger pull is the key usually for accuracy. If you can rest the gun or rest your arms when shooting that will help to tell if it is the sights or not. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Athanasor

Bearcat
I have found the 158 gr 357s and 38s are the ideal bullet for this gun, My GP100 is not nearly as sensitive as the smaller revolver.