Ten round Mini-14 mags? Nine rounds is more like it.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
parabellum said:
Architorture23 said:
My Mini 30 loads 5 round mags under a closed bolt just fine, fwiw, so I do not think the fact that the action derives from a Garand to have much to do with it.
Yes, and I can lock fully-loaded magazines into my M1A rifles with the bolt closed, without crushing cases.

I suspect Ruger designates their magazines as 10, 20 or 30 round capacity because that's how many rounds the magazine holds when standing alone. Whether the magazine can be attached to a rifle with a closed action isn't part of their equation. That a 20 or 30 rounder can be inserted fully loaded, while a 10 rounder can not, is due simply to the slop created by so many tapered cartridges stacking in the higher capacity magazine. I suspect also that the 10 rounder is manufactured a bit tighter due to the importance of complying with CA limit restrictions. The current 10 rounder may even be the same as the one during the federal AW ban.

I don't think there is a connection - any consistency, I suppose - linking the nomenclature of the 3 to actual function. Clipping the 10 round magazine follower legs a bit would probably allow inserting them with the bolt closed.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
parabellum said:
Pal Val said:
A gentleman would have been satisfied with that. No need to discuss any more.
An intelligent man would have paid me the courtesy of operating under the assumption that I am bright enough and experienced enough in this life to have already ensured I am in compliance with my state's laws.

Instead, you made the assumption I had not bothered to check, and continued along the same lines after I had told you that it's legal for me to carry a loaded firearm in my vehicle.

And as far as your apology goes, this is what you say just before you apologize:
I haven't researched federal law on the matter, but it makes little difference to me. I'm not taking a case to court anytime soon.
Get it through your skull- I am in compliance with my state's laws in this matter, and I don't appreciate the inference I am not, with this "I'm not taking a case to court anytime soon" garbage. This ain't Pennsylvania, mmkay? I live in a free state.

Please, just stay out of my thread. You've been of no help whatsoever. Your presence in this thread has been nothing but a distraction, and now that you've once again said that you're through with this thread, I've no doubt I'll see further comments from you.

keep going, I'm looking for the popcorn smiley..... :mrgreen:

countryboy

Single-Sixer
Not long ago I bought a new mini 14 ranch rifle that came with a 20 round mag. I also bought another 20 round and 30 round factory mag at the gun store. I have had the same issue with all three factory mags. When inserting a fully loaded mag into the rifle with the bolt closed it takes quite a bit of effort and puts a dent in the top cartridge. The 30 rounder seems to be worse as it puts a larger dent than the 20 rounders.

I did research this some on the web and found while some people were having the same problem others did not have this issue.

On page 12 of the mini 14 manual it states "The magazine may be inserted with the bolt either in the closed or open position" .
Just below this on page 13 it states " Before inserting loaded magazine, engage the bolt lock so the bolt is held open".

I wonder if the newer mags are made differently than the older mags. This is the only mini I have owned and all of my mags are new. I do have a few new 30 round mags that I haven't tried yet. When I get a chance I may load them up and see what happens.

Nevada

Single-Sixer
The possible spring issue mentioned would be the spring becoming solid and therefore no movement possible when the mag is inserted under a closed bolt. Doing anything to the spring (shortening it) could cause malfunctions by weakening it. Leaving a mag loaded for days will not alter the no room to move fact. This should be obviouse from the posts here. Altering the followers legs, by making them shorter would be the way to go. I would do that if a call to Ruger did not produce an affirmatime answer that they stocked followers with two different lengths.
ParaOrdnance mags will take one more round than they should, and they advertised them that way. A Para P13 has a 13 round mag. This is true, but unless the slide is back the mag will not lock i n. 12 rounds installs fine with the slide locked forward.
Ruger can a does get sloppy. My two eight round mags on my less than a year old P345 were really only six rounders until Ruger sent replacements. The Genyouwine how-come of your 10 rounders probably will never be known. Knowing that some here have the same problem and some don't would seem to be the answer you needed. You could call it the luck of the draw on ten round mags produced over the years. I hope you get things worked out so you know and trust your mags for your uses.

sert01

Bearcat
I've got a 580 series and have no problem whatsoever putting my 5,20, and 30 round Ruger factory mags in fully loaded with a closed bolt. I've checked the top rounds in all of them and have found no dented or marred cases. Trying to think of what may be causing this problem for you. I had an older 14 (180 series) back in the late 70's-early 80's and never experienced that problem with that rifle either. Sort of a head scratcher! I have found that my newer mini is MUCH more accurate than my old one. Good luck and hope you get this figured out. (BTW, pal val was sort of getting on my nerves also!!)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ruger makes a NINE round mag, to provide for owners in less-than-free states. You might want to verify which actual mag(s) you own.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

No help from my brother in law: he says his mags do hold 10 rds (CA rifle), but he's never loaded one against a closed bolt. Didn't bring the Mini-14 to our last range session, either.

Rick C

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
Ruger makes a NINE round mag, to provide for owners in less-than-free states. You might want to verify which actual mag(s) you own.
huh???????????
never heard of such a thing!!!!!
5,10,20, or 30 round ruger mags.....no 9 rounders

parabellum

Bearcat
Yeah, I've never heard of a nine round mag for the Mini-14.

TTBOMK the capacity of factory Mini-14 magazines is 5, 10, 20 or 30 rounds.

Latest posts